Sighthounds With Cats?

Dogsrawesome

They are usually very god with "their own" cats.

Sounds like my Fox terrier x haha :shhh:

Sighthound doesn't equate to cat chaser.

Any breed of dog can be a cat chaser more so than sightnounds.

Sighthounds don't chase anything that moves .

i now many sighhound breeders who also have cats & no issue

Good to know :laugh: thought id ask cause many people say they chase everything that moves.

I have two Whippets with cats and they are fine. I wouldn't leave them locked up together just incase, but they are fine outside offlead and inside.

Sometimes when they are doing zoomies they cut it fine and do fly-byes over the cat, sometimes she flattens out and sometimes she runs but they don't chase her.

They have always been watched around the cats and any sign of prey drive towards them was stopped immediately.

I have also had the Whippets out with a mum and baby Guinea pigs who were bolting around(by accident) they were told to leave it and they did, Lewis sniffed one it's bum and it bolted and I thought uhoh it's gone, but when I yelled leave it he did and removed himself to stand next to Rommi while watching me dive around like a loonie catching escapee piggies!

I think our little cat likes the dogs more than us and has one favourite in particular. The British tolerates them if they stay a few feet away, it is beneath him to mingle with dogs!

Edited by OSoSwift

I think our little cat likes the dogs more than us and has one favourite in particular.

Haha now that sounds familiar. My cat and dog play together, give each other smooches. They are both males its like come one guys man up haha but its super funny to watch them play :shhh:

Depends a bit on the level of drive in the sighthound and the experience of the owner.

You can end up with a problem cat chaser if you don't raise them correctly, and the job is harder if you have a very drivey dog.

Yes it can be done, but it's not just a matter of raising them with the cat.

That's true, you can't just assume raising them together is enough. With some it is, but with my youngest dog I had to make a real effort to change the way she viewed the cat from the time she arrived as a puppy.

And that's after having owned 6 other sighthounds, so not an inexperienced owner, just a dog much more easily triggered to chase than any other I have owned. She's fine now, but it took a bit of concentrated effort. My oldest on the other hand, same breed, loved the cat from the day she arrived, including a lot of mutual grooming and smooching.

Edited by Diva

We've had our girl Pia since she was about 3 months old and have always carefully supervised her interactions with the cats. She has never known anything but being surrounded by cats, so she is used to it now. She will still chase them occasionally, but its all in play. We don't encourage her to chase them and we stop her if we see it happening. She likes to wrestle with them, but we also stop that if it gets too silly or rough. We had a foster Grey called Sam and he just accepted the cats too. :shhh:

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

DSC02123.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

I'm loving the photos!

So am I guys!! Especially these two Kirty!! :laugh:

IMG_0119.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

We used to have a cat - that we unfortunately lost too young. :laugh: Our older dogs had grown up with him and never had an issue. Although they used to chase him a little if he ran. As soon as he had enough, stopped and turned to face them they turned into sniveling cat servants... :shhh: He was always in control.

I'd love to have one again but having hounds now that haven't grown up with them I'd rather a confident adult cat that I wasn't so worried about rather than a little kitten who could be intimidated. I would always prefer that for introductions with mature sighthounds that are not familiar with cats, a confident glare or even a swipe at a nose is infinitely preferable to a scared kitty and excited hound.

We've had our girl Pia since she was about 3 months old and have always carefully supervised her interactions with the cats. She has never known anything but being surrounded by cats, so she is used to it now. She will still chase them occasionally, but its all in play. We don't encourage her to chase them and we stop her if we see it happening. She likes to wrestle with them, but we also stop that if it gets too silly or rough. We had a foster Grey called Sam and he just accepted the cats too. :(

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

DSC02123.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

I remember when you first got her and the pic in the kids bed....great photos, Pia is beautiful.