Vet Rough Handling Dog

Magstar

I am incredibly mad at my vet for the way he handled my almost 11 month old GR yesterday. Oscar had just been in for desexing and as we were picking him up I asked for some worming tablets while we were there. Vet didn't know how much Oscar weighed (even though I thought he would have needed to know for the procedure) so he dragged oscar by the lead over to the scales (and I mean dragged!) and used the lead to lift his front half of his body up onto the scales by his neck. Oscar was still recovering from the anaesthetic and he face planted onto the scales. The vet then lifted up his back by the skin at the top of his tail and plonked him down. My poor boy was being treated like a ragdoll and I was too timid to stop it :rainbowbridge:.

If the vet had just let me handle him I would have been able to get him to walk over to the scales on his own and stand on them. He didn't even give me a chance! It was complete lack of patience and a complete lack of respect for my dog. I just keep thinking how rough he would have handled him when we weren't there watching! I can understand vets needing to be firm with their handling, but to me this was beyond that. It's hard to describe exactly how it was, but it was enough for me to burst into tears once I was back in the car!

I should add too that this is a vet that my family has been using since I was a kid. He has always been good to us, but it seems that he just doesn't seem to care anymore. When Maggie (RIP) got sick we went to another vet clinic that had better diagnostic resources and I was so happy with how they handled her. They treated her with respect and she cooperated because of that.

So what is the norm for the way that vets handle animals? Has anyone else had an upsetting experience? Or am I overreacting?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some vets are rougher than others. I think some vets are rougher than others as they are more used to large animals, or not used to handling timid dogs. Others probably think they're just being firm and no-nonsense and getting the job done efficiently. Without being there, I guess none of us can say if the vet was unreasonably rough on your dog, or if he was just not as soft as you usually are (no offence intended to you - I'm generally very soft when I handle my own dog too).

It's also true that from what I've seen, many vet staff are firmer with pets behind the scenes than they are in front of the owner. Not unkind and certainly not abusive, just handling them in a firmer and more "no-nonsense" way.

If you're upset with the way your dog was handled, I say email or call to let him or the practice know, whether or not you choose to return. That way they can fix it.

ETA - although it is a bit strange he didn't know the weight after operating on your dog? Perhaps he decided it was quicker to weigh him again than look up his in case notes for the dog's weight.

Edited by Staranais

he may have been 'rougher' than necessary .. or perhaps he and the dog were both a bit out of synch because of the post anaesthesia lack of co ordination etc of your dog...and things didn't work as planned . As said- if you are so unhappy - contact the clinic.

He really should have known the wieght, as they need to calculate the dosage for the pre-med and also induction drug for the anaesthetic. Perhaps he had it recorded somewhere else but had forgotten or couldn't be bothered to get it?

As Staranais said, there is a difference between being firm and no-nonsense and rough handling, which only you would know as you were there.

If you feel he was rough handling your dog, then make a complaint.

Personally I would have tried to bribe him with a treat rather than drag him onto the scales (or would have looked at his file or notes, so as not to stress him at all)

We actually have a bowl of treats at head/shoulder height to entice dogs onto our scales!

I am incredibly mad at my vet for the way he handled my almost 11 month old GR yesterday. Oscar had just been in for desexing and as we were picking him up I asked for some worming tablets while we were there. Vet didn't know how much Oscar weighed (even though I thought he would have needed to know for the procedure) so he dragged oscar by the lead over to the scales (and I mean dragged!) and used the lead to lift his front half of his body up onto the scales by his neck. Oscar was still recovering from the anaesthetic and he face planted onto the scales. The vet then lifted up his back by the skin at the top of his tail and plonked him down. My poor boy was being treated like a ragdoll and I was too timid to stop it :rainbowbridge:.

If the vet had just let me handle him I would have been able to get him to walk over to the scales on his own and stand on them. He didn't even give me a chance! It was complete lack of patience and a complete lack of respect for my dog. I just keep thinking how rough he would have handled him when we weren't there watching! I can understand vets needing to be firm with their handling, but to me this was beyond that. It's hard to describe exactly how it was, but it was enough for me to burst into tears once I was back in the car!

I should add too that this is a vet that my family has been using since I was a kid. He has always been good to us, but it seems that he just doesn't seem to care anymore. When Maggie (RIP) got sick we went to another vet clinic that had better diagnostic resources and I was so happy with how they handled her. They treated her with respect and she cooperated because of that.

So what is the norm for the way that vets handle animals? Has anyone else had an upsetting experience? Or am I overreacting?

If I seriously felt it was rough mis handling I would have told him then and there

Saying something at the time is always the best way, IMO. Just a simple "hey, no need to be so rough, I'll do that thanks!" might have been enough to show the vet your feelings on the matter.

But I can sympathise with the OP too. The vet is a professional and is supposed to know best how to handle your dog, it can be easy to look back and think "I should have stepped in" but just have been too shy or shocked to do so at the time.

Of course, if the vet's standard of care is slipping, then perhaps it's time to move vets. And also perhaps time to mention it to his boss, or even ask him directly if he's OK. Sorry to be morbid, but veterinary science as a profession has a really high depression & suicide rate, I'd personally be worried about a vet who used to be great but who suddenly doesn't seem to care about his clients & business. :rainbowbridge:

All that Staranais said made sense to me.

I think the OP was sharp to pick up the overall change in the vet's behaviour. There's some kind of decline going on....from whatever. Burnout? Depressed?

But even if there's a reason, it's no excuse for unnecessarily rough handling. Also odd that there'd been no pre-op weighing.

I understand Magstar's tears after watching how her still groggy dog was treated!

I agree it's so important for a dog to be handled/managed as humanely as possible, as it's more likely to cooperate with exams & treatments.

I notice that my girls respond differently to different vets. With only one vet, my girl (tho' making no fuss) presses close to me. With another vet, she throws herself into his arms as soon as he enters the room. She adores him & is happily cooperates. Like she needed a scan, where many dogs have to be sedated to keep them still & 'moveable'. But not her, with the vet she likes.

Others probably think they're just being firm and no-nonsense and getting the job done efficiently. Without being there, I guess none of us can say if the vet was unreasonably rough on your dog, or if he was just not as soft as you usually are (no offence intended to you - I'm generally very soft when I handle my own dog too).

I believe it was probably his way of being no nonsense and getting the job done. And yes I am usually very soft when I handle my dog, and so it probably looked worse to me than it might have to others.

He really should have known the wieght, as they need to calculate the dosage for the pre-med and also induction drug for the anaesthetic. Perhaps he had it recorded somewhere else but had forgotten or couldn't be bothered to get it?

Personally I would have tried to bribe him with a treat rather than drag him onto the scales (or would have looked at his file or notes, so as not to stress him at all)

We actually have a bowl of treats at head/shoulder height to entice dogs onto our scales!

From what he said to me it really sounded like he had no idea how much he weighed and he just estimated for the surgery. Hopefully I am wrong about that!

Using treats on a groggy,wobbly dog may not have worked well... but if your dog's very food oriented, then it's a good plan :rainbowbridge:

He's a golden retriever, he will do anything for a treat! Lol

Saying something at the time is always the best way, IMO. Just a simple "hey, no need to be so rough, I'll do that thanks!" might have been enough to show the vet your feelings on the matter.

But I can sympathise with the OP too. The vet is a professional and is supposed to know best how to handle your dog, it can be easy to look back and think "I should have stepped in" but just have been too shy or shocked to do so at the time.

Of course, if the vet's standard of care is slipping, then perhaps it's time to move vets. And also perhaps time to mention it to his boss, or even ask him directly if he's OK. Sorry to be morbid, but veterinary science as a profession has a really high depression & suicide rate, I'd personally be worried about a vet who used to be great but who suddenly doesn't seem to care about his clients & business. :rainbowbridge:

I would have loved to say something at the time, but yes you are right, I was too shy and shocked to do anything.

I think I will change vets after this. I can't mention it to his boss.. because he is the boss! It is just him there. But you could be right, maybe he is depressed or something. I used to have a lot of faith in him. I have recently heard a few stories of people being unhappy with his attitude. Maybe it is time for him to retire...

Rough handling of animals often occurs in all animal related jobs. It is not usually done in front of the owner.

You would have been just stunned. I have not returned to one vet as I do not like the way they handle the animals as though they are a piece of meat & they are rough in examination.

Others are happy there, maybe I just got them on a couple of bad days, a couple too many for my liking.

I have also told one vet, in the past, not to get hold of my cats by the scruff of the neck & drag them out of the carrier when I am there & they are quite willing to come out. Did not like that at all.

Don't go back there. If he did this to your face & it upset you you will always worry about what he does when you are not there in the future.

We each have differing standards of what is acceptable handling, obviously yours & this vets differ.

I think you are being over protective toward the dog. :rainbowbridge:

The vet wants your custom he does not want to drive you away.

The vet does not necessarily have to know the weight of your dog as somebody else may have weighed and given the anesthetic.

Remember it's a busy vet surgery and the vet may have wanted to go and see other seriously ill patients. :rainbowbridge:

Not all dogs are handled the same way as you and I do especially a very groggy one.

Cheers.

I think the fact that he was groggy influenced the way the vet handled him to get him onto the scales - groggy dogs are not the most coordinated and do not always respond the same as they do when awake - legs tend to go all over the place. He is not likely the one who actually weighed the dog for premeds/anaesthetic - probably was a nurse, though he may have asked the weight to draw up the drugs, depending on the clinic - sometimes the vet does it, sometimes the nurse does it. It would have been on his record though.

If you are unhappy with the way the vet handled your dog, I would talk to him about it.

There are other ways to handle and transfer dogs without pulling them around too much. Go with your gut feeling I say, it's usually correct.

Personally I haven't got the inclination to pyscho-analyse somebody if they are being rough or unprofessional. I'm not being entirely unsympathetic, nursing and some of the things I witnessed nearly did my head in, but I chose to get out and take a big pay cut. I saw several nurses who physically and verbally abused vulnerable people, yes most likely because they were burnt out (just as I was), but there's just no justifying or excusing some things period.

I think it is over the top myself, but I have never thought that moving or picking a dog up by a scruff or handful of skin has ever been acceptable.

I would also have told them to stop I would do it. Sometimes though we don't or are a little frozen until it is too late. Don't beat yourself up if he was really worried by it he would have yelped or shown discomfort.

I would go elsewhere if you are no longer comfortable

I have worked in 3 vet clinics. The first place had two vets who handled animals very badly but at the next two places, all the vets handled the animals with respect and care.

It used to make me cringe at the first place. People would come in and request their favourite vet who was sweet as pie in front of them, but once the animal got out the back, he was awful. Dogs got hit, cats got thrown. The animals were just a money making object that he didnt give a toss about. Luckily he retired not too long after I was there.

I think you are being over protective toward the dog. :shhh:

The vet wants your custom he does not want to drive you away.

The vet does not necessarily have to know the weight of your dog as somebody else may have weighed and given the anesthetic.

Remember it's a busy vet surgery and the vet may have wanted to go and see other seriously ill patients. :laugh:

Not all dogs are handled the same way as you and I do especially a very groggy one.

Cheers.

Well, the Vet showed that he wanted the custom in a very strange way, then. I can't believe that you are defending this behavior - to me it is totally unacceptable.