Want A Dog, But Need Help Choosing A Breed.

jebee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never met a boxer that wasn't a very high energy and boisterous dog (and this is coming from someone who has a male entire doberman). They seem to retain their "joie de vivre" until quite old - my boy plays with a couple over the age of 6 and he is the more serious despite being much younger. The vizlas are always energetic too, but unlike the boxers, they don't seem to be as inclined to jump or use their paws. Both are popular breeds and have lots to offer and I think you'll manage with either, but vizla probably gets my vote as you have young children.

Greyhound - beautiful dog and would be perfect except for the cat thing. You can get ones that have been assessed and are supposedly trustworthy around small animals, but they certainly lose a few points on that front.

Lab could also be perfect; quite amenable to training and if you go through a good breeder you can probably get one well matched to your family. Untrained labs can be quite unpleasant, because they are also naturally active and quite a powerful breed, but trained they are an absolute delight and an ideal pet for children as well as a great jogging partner. If you've ever seen a fit and trim lab, it's actually a very attractive breed.

So I'd look at lab and vizla breeders if I were you, and then just choose the breeder and parents you like the most. Good luck :shhh:

Greyhound - beautiful dog and would be perfect except for the cat thing. You can get ones that have been assessed and are supposedly trustworthy around small animals, but they certainly lose a few points on that front.

Sorry but this is so not true & i do wish people would not make such claims when they have no idea about the breed

OP:

Also I heard that vizslas could be a bit stubborn and not as easily trainable as, say, boxers.

I don't know who told you that but I'd have said the reverse. The few Boxers I've met have been pretty hard headed. They are most certainly trainable but not an easy dog in a lot of ways.

How old are your children?

I'd totally recommend a Swedish Vallhund :shhh: They're up for anything you dish out, smart as a whip, and always happy. They are a bit drivey though, but we've already trained ours to lay off our chickens so I see no reason why you'd find it hard to train a dog not to chase your cat.

My sister, first time dog owner and cat fanatic, has a Greyhound. She went through an adoption program and they got her a smaller grey. The dog lives with 10 cats and has never ever chased one. She shares her bed with kittens and just tries carefully not to squish them. She is a bit of an odd Greyhound, though. She is also exceptional with children. I've seen strange children just come and sprawl all over her and she just sits through it. She's an odd Greyhound, though. She's very good off leash. You have to physically drag her away from my sister's side. She's a bit on the timid side.

should mention Greyhounds don't do jogging like many other breeds

Some definitely do, our last foster could out jog anyone, and be ready for more! She never sat still!! If she wasn't underfoot with wagging tail asking for a walk she was underfoot with wagging tail with squeaky toy in mouth wanting to play fetch!! She would've been a fantastic jogging companion or dog-sports candidate!

Greys come in multiple personalities, just like any dogs. Some adore little animals and cats, and some don't. Some lounge all day and some don't. They are lovely family dogs.

In my experience dog loving kids often seem to click with whippets as well. They are lovely family dogs.

Sorry but this is so not true & i do wish people would not make such claims when they have no idea about the breed

agree, all my greyhounds have been able to be left alone with the cats, never seperated them, except for newly fostered or adopted ones. I do use baby gates etc to stop the dogs running around or getting into a bit of a rumble when I am not home, but they are not used to protect the cats.

My sister, first time dog owner and cat fanatic, has a Greyhound. She went through an adoption program and they got her a smaller grey. The dog lives with 10 cats and has never ever chased one. She shares her bed with kittens and just tries carefully not to squish them. She is a bit of an odd Greyhound, though. She is also exceptional with children. I've seen strange children just come and sprawl all over her and she just sits through it. She's an odd Greyhound, though. She's very good off leash. You have to physically drag her away from my sister's side. She's a bit on the timid side.

why is your sister's dog odd? you mentioned it twice. Mine have lived with up to 4 cats at a time, 10 wouldn't faze them except for the competition for the softest, bestest bed

Boxers are frequently not good at all with cats although they are lovely dogs generally.

Greys are not always suitable for jogging - I've rescued a young one here and just walking him slowly for 15 mins was enough, he wanted to go home. He was a loving and gentle boy, great with my little dogs and if I had more space he would never have left. I love the greys but they are not suitable for letting off leash at all - you can read this about the breed.

I'm thinking you want a short coated dog but not sure if you know that Labradors do shed huge amounts of hair? Somethign to think about as I've known people to give them up or stop having them in the house beause of it.

A whippet is an excellent choice, I rescue Italian Greyhounds but wouldn't suggest them for your home but a whippet could be ideal!

If I didnt live on acres (where a greyhound could hurt itself locking in on a rabbit on the hill) I would definately adopt a Greyhound. Your circumstances and family sound perfect for one....you'll wonder why you didnt get a big lounge lizard before. :shhh:

If I didnt live on acres (where a greyhound could hurt itself locking in on a rabbit on the hill) I would definately adopt a Greyhound. Your circumstances and family sound perfect for one....you'll wonder why you didnt get a big lounge lizard before. :)

my friend has had quite a few over the years, she lives on 100 acres :( anything is possible if you really want it.

I would agree with an earlier post - most Viszlas are definitely easier to train than most boxers.

These are all fairly large dogs. Another one you may like to consider is the flat coated retriever. Beatifully black (or sometimes chocolate) and smart like the Labrador, but a bit lighter and often with a slightly softer temperament. Great runners, great family dogs, not bonkers.

Some medium sized dogs you might like - English and welsh springers. Middle sized, both breeds very trainable and biddable. The Welsh is the more active of the two breeds, but I think either breed would suit you pretty well. They will be your best friend.

Make sure that, whichever breed you choose, you absolutly love it. All young dogs need work and it is so much easier to do for a dog you really adore and feel proud of.

If I didnt live on acres (where a greyhound could hurt itself locking in on a rabbit on the hill) I would definately adopt a Greyhound. Your circumstances and family sound perfect for one....you'll wonder why you didnt get a big lounge lizard before. :)

my friend has had quite a few over the years, she lives on 100 acres :( anything is possible if you really want it.

But I was told they would run thru the ringlock fences and that would really hurt.....and 100 acres probably have less fences than our 40.

But I was told they would run thru the ringlock fences and that would really hurt.....and 100 acres probably have less fences than our 40.

hers have all respected the fences, ordinary cattle fences, the house yard and most (maybe all) of the fences have a hot wire on them cause of the cattle. They can put up a bunny, chase it to the fence and they stop. Or at least they run up and down the fence for a bit. No attempt to get through or to jump over it. All have caught bunnies before, a couple just in the last week in the house yard. She does have a fully enclosed (with a roof) dog run for them when she goes out.

hers have all respected the fences, ordinary cattle fences, the house yard and most (maybe all) of the fences have a hot wire on them cause of the cattle. They can put up a bunny, chase it to the fence and they stop. Or at least they run up and down the fence for a bit. No attempt to get through or to jump over it. All have caught bunnies before, a couple just in the last week in the house yard. She does have a fully enclosed (with a roof) dog run for them when she goes out.

That sounds promising thankyou Rebanne.

before my friend fostered her very first greyhound, someone who had one in a different state, told her she should never get one and she, my friend, would have nothing but trouble. The reverse has been true, there has never been a moments trouble with the greys and the fences. My friend introduces all the new greys to the fences on lead, lets them off lead only when the others are locked away etc. If my friend had listened to the naysayer, there would have been a few dozen less greys fostered and several delighful greys miss out on the best possible home they could ever have had.

before my friend fostered her very first greyhound, someone who had one in a different state, told her she should never get one and she, my friend, would have nothing but trouble. The reverse has been true, there has never been a moments trouble with the greys and the fences. My friend introduces all the new greys to the fences on lead, lets them off lead only when the others are locked away etc. If my friend had listened to the naysayer, there would have been a few dozen less greys fostered and several delighful greys miss out on the best possible home they could ever have had.

Ok...we have a fenced 650 mtr driveway they could run down lol.

Boxer sounds like it would suit :(

30 mins a day excercise would be fine for most of them :) As long as they are with the family they are happy.

Mine, although she wasn't raised with cats, is perfectly fine with them- and has gone to stay at a friend who has 6 cats house many times

They are great with kids, and thrive with obedience training (which they take to well, and aren't too challenging)

They aren't stubborn or headstrong like many of the bullbreeds- and I got my Boxer as my "first own dog" as my 13th birthday present, I did all her training, walking, etc. So I think they are fine as a first dog.

They can be boisterous- and never grow up! Mine is 8 and has just started to slow down now!

My girl never chewed things or dug holes, and was a very good pup, easy to housetrain- but that said I spent alot of time with her.

Some have issues with other dogs- but it seems to be 50/50 in the breed.

I think a Boxer would cope better than a Lab and Vizla with being left home alone, they aren't as clingy as Labs and Vizlas, although if you are around they will want to be with you (most think they are lap dogs!) :)

ETA- If you are 5 mins from an offleash park a Boxer would love that. Most can be trained to have a very reliable recall, and I know my girl doesn't wander away from me on her offlead walks. Some Boxers can be fence jumpers though- although our front gate is generally always open and my dog could pretty much walk out of our fences if she wanted too- so they aren't really wanderers (like huskies are lol)

Edited by boxagirl