Would You Feel Uncomfortable Receiving A Birthday Present For Your Dog

Baileys mum

I know the 3 pups don't care about being left out, as they are dogs & don't care about birthdays. :laugh:

:D I just reread your OP and had to copy that bit.

I've been pondering this topic. I'd say go for it - you've obviously thought about it enough to start a thread and it looks to me that you simply just care. If there wasnt a falling out with the 3 buyers who dont keep in contact and they just fell off the planet, I'd say they'd probably be pretty thrilled and you'll get some puppy pics back in return. Just do it and see what happens. I'm sure they wont ring you up and abuse you :rofl:

I can see your point Raz, but what if it was your puppy's first birthday? If you get no contact after that then I wouldnt do it again as it might been seen as pushy or creepy. But I wouldn't have thought so for the first birthday. I guess I am seeing it from the point of view of a person who would have contact and someone who would not see it as creepy

I can see your point Raz, but what if it was your puppy's first birthday? If you get no contact after that then I wouldnt do it again as it might been seen as pushy or creepy. But I wouldn't have thought so for the first birthday. I guess I am seeing it from the point of view of a person who would have contact and someone who would not see it as creepy

Me as a buyer, ohsoswift? I'd be pretty thrilled but I like to keep in contact with breeders anyway so I'm just trying to put the shoe on the other foot to help out Baileysmum and trying to look at it from a buyer who hasnt kept up the contact. It would only make me feel uncomfy if I thought the breeder didnt actually care about my puppy but had another litter coming up and was building up a data base in order to flog off another pup but BM doesnt strike me as that sort of ra ra sales tactic type person.

Disclaimer - I dont know any breeders who would do that anyway. I'm just sort of thinking of big ticket sales agents who do that.

Edited by raz

Ahh fair enuff!

I personally cannot understand someone not wanting to pester their breeder with photos and emails about one of their pups! I warn mine before I buy them as well. I do not expect a reply all the time but I love sending photos and telling them how wonderful the dogs are.

To me it shows the breeder does care about their babies. I hope any babies I may breed in the future go to people who love to send me photos and emails :laugh:

I think it's a lovely gesture :D and who knows, it may reopen the communication gate and they may feel like they can contact you again in the future. Perhaps some just don't realise how beneficial a puppy buyer/breeder relationship can be for some. If you don't get a response, never mind, it still shows you're a caring breeder :rofl:

I personally love keeping in contact with my breeder. I see her often and she loves updates on Ruby, and she'll be getting my "repeat business" if I get another Labrador in the future. I kept in contact with Millie's foster mum for a while, but she wasn't as receiving with my Millie boasts as Ruby's breeder is as I received a few non-replies, so I don't update her as often anymore (eta: this has prompted me to sit and write her an email tonight and send some photos, I know she had a special spot for Millie so even if she doesn't have time to reply, I'm sure she still loves the updates). I love nothing more than updating the breeder/foster carer so my next breeder I buy from better watch out, cos they will be bombarded with photos, updates and training brags! :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

I think it is a lovely idea - I usually send an email or facebook greeting for birthdays but unfortunately I have lost contact with a couple of pups I bred due to them moving and one who refuses to tell me where the dog has gone.

If I was to hear back from one of my breeders now I would be stunned, she never replied to my emails so I stopped sending them, but the others have become wonderful friends. :laugh:

It's one thing to remind owners that you would love to be kept up to date with their progress but unfortunately for many reasons this is not always possible. Be thrilled when you do but not too disappointed when you don't.

ETA : if this was the first contact in many years though I would be wondering what the catch is. Nice to be in touch again but "what's the real reason" kind of thing.

Edited by Andisa

Just do it and see what happens. I'm sure they wont ring you up and abuse you :laugh:

I send emails on my pups birthdays; one puppy owner took great offence to this and on the 2nd birthday replied to my email telling me to "stop harassing them" or they'd take out a restraining order and that they "wanted a dog not a new friend". So I try and respect those who don't want contact but since I like contact, I also try and pick buyers who are like that.

Just do it and see what happens. I'm sure they wont ring you up and abuse you :laugh:

I send emails on my pups birthdays; one puppy owner took great offence to this and on the 2nd birthday replied to my email telling me to "stop harassing them" or they'd take out a restraining order and that they "wanted a dog not a new friend". So I try and respect those who don't want contact but since I like contact, I also try and pick buyers who are like that.

1 email a year and it's classed as harrassing? :D Seriously, what is wrong with people? Sure, not everyone likes to stay in contact, but geez, they need to get over themselves. The breeder sends an email a year to wish them a happy birthday, the world is not going to end :rofl:

There were maybe 3 in the first year, (1 week after the pup went home, at 6 months old and then 12 months old) and then the 2nd birthday one. I think I probably should have taken the hint sooner (never had a reply). I do think it was OTT but there was no swearing or insults so not that bad really.

I think it's a lovely gesture :rofl: and who knows, it may reopen the communication gate and they may feel like they can contact you again in the future. Perhaps some just don't realise how beneficial a puppy buyer/breeder relationship can be for some. If you don't get a response, never mind, it still shows you're a caring breeder :rofl:

I personally love keeping in contact with my breeder. I see her often and she loves updates on Ruby, and she'll be getting my "repeat business" if I get another Labrador in the future. I kept in contact with Millie's foster mum for a while, but she wasn't as receiving with my Millie boasts as Ruby's breeder is as I received a few non-replies, so I don't update her as often anymore. I love nothing more than updating the breeder/foster carer so my next breeder I buy from better watch out, cos they will be bombarded with photos, updates and training brags! :D

You sound like a lovely owner Rubystar & your dogs breeder is very lucky to have you as one of their puppy people. :rofl:

The 4 owners that keep in contact with me are also alot like you & I'm very lucky to have them, the other 3 people are lovely too & are perfect homes for my pups, but some people just don't see the importance of their pups breeder once theyactually get the puppy home unless there is actually a problem... which is fine with me, some people just don't have the time to sit & do updates all the time.

I'm just hoping by acknowledging their pups birthday it will remind them that I still care & that I'm still here for them if they need me. :(

raz there is no way I'm sending birthday presents to drum up business :rofl:

I don't breed enough litters to be looking for sales for starters, & my Dol listing & website is enough to give me enough enquiries every week. :(

There is only about 23 breeders listed on Dol for Aussie terriers & only 2 puppy listings advertised at the moment so I definately do not need to drum up business. :laugh:

I want to send my babies presents simply because I love & care for them, not to get sales or anything else. :(

That's really sad but I guess some people are just weird. A longstanding friend of mine is a breeder and something similar happened to her when she simply sent an email and said Hi how is the puppy fitting in. The buyer went apeshit and told her to mind her own business. Some people are just dickheads and you have to scratch them off the xmas card list.

For Baileysmum I'd say 4 out of 7 puppy owners who keep in contact is probably pretty good. Bit of a shame they dont all keep in contact with a rare breed like the mighty little Aussie terrier but you sort of have to take the good with the not so good, I guess.

Wow. Do they get cranky at the place they buy their cars, appliances and whatever else sending information? Maybe they do...

I think it's a lovely gesture :worship: and who knows, it may reopen the communication gate and they may feel like they can contact you again in the future. Perhaps some just don't realise how beneficial a puppy buyer/breeder relationship can be for some. If you don't get a response, never mind, it still shows you're a caring breeder :(

I personally love keeping in contact with my breeder. I see her often and she loves updates on Ruby, and she'll be getting my "repeat business" if I get another Labrador in the future. I kept in contact with Millie's foster mum for a while, but she wasn't as receiving with my Millie boasts as Ruby's breeder is as I received a few non-replies, so I don't update her as often anymore. I love nothing more than updating the breeder/foster carer so my next breeder I buy from better watch out, cos they will be bombarded with photos, updates and training brags! :rainbowbridge:

You sound like a lovely owner Rubystar & your dogs breeder is very lucky to have you as one of their puppy people. :(

The 4 owners that keep in contact with me are also alot like you & I'm very lucky to have them, the other 3 people are lovely too & are perfect homes for my pups, but some people just don't see the importance of their pups breeder once theyactually get the puppy home unless there is actually a problem... which is fine with me, some people just don't have the time to sit & do updates all the time.

I'm just hoping by acknowledging their pups birthday it will remind them that I still care & that I'm still here for them if they need me. :)

raz there is no way I'm sending birthday presents to drum up business :rainbowbridge:

I don't breed enough litters to be looking for sales for starters, & my Dol listing & website is enough to give me enough enquiries every week. :)

There is only about 23 breeders listed on Dol for Aussie terriers & only 2 puppy listings advertised at the moment so I definately do not need to drum up business. :rainbowbridge:

I want to send my babies presents simply because I love & care for them, not to get sales or anything else. :)

Awww shucks, fanks :cry: And breeders like you give breeders a GOOD name!

We had an Aussie Terrier growing up, her name was Mandy :) She was a bit norty, though :p

This thread is actually really interesting following on from one where a lot of people said breeders have so little custumer service they cant even be bothered replying to a puppy enquiry.

yeah there are breeders and then there are breeders aren't there? :rainbowbridge:

Maybe for those you don't have contact with you could just send a note with it saying:

"I hope you don't mind... just wanted to give pup a gift for his birthday... etc.

so now breeders who don't send birthday cards and presents are not quite right?

I'm trying to look at it from the point of view of the people who would be creeped out. Have you and the buyers maintained contact since point of purchase, BM? 2 of my breeders became friends so they wouldnt creep me out if they sent Spot and Fluffy a card, squeaky toy, bag of biccies or whatever but one breeder I never maintained contact with and if she sent something out of the blue I'd probably think it was a bit weird as well (and I'd probably look at it as a sales tactic to get me to buy another puppy...not sure now).

I think the creep/sales factor would be removed by whatever note comes with the present.

I think that is a lovely idea a small toy with note would be a great surprise for most people. I wouldn't bother emailing because some people don't answer or take much notice of emails. The puppy buyers who are not in touch with you may also have thought as time has gone by it is a bit late to send you an update on the pup so they don't bother by sending a 1st BD gift / card you are opening the door for them to have a bit of a brag session with you (enclose your email address for them so they can use it if they want).

I would really love it if we got a little present on our puppy's first birthday.

I might have a different perspective about puppy buyers, myself and my boyfriend bought our first puppy in October from a breeder and I have been in contact with them a couple of times, just photos a few weeks after we got him home, at christmas and recently because he is 6 month old. At first I was hesitant because I thought it might bother or being annoying to the breeders to get emails from me. Maybe your other puppy buyers feel like this too? My breeders were excited to hear from me (as far as I can tell) and seemed to enjoy getting updates. I think I have contacted them maybe 3 or 4 times since we got our dog, no problems jsut keeping them up to date...

Maybe people don't realised that some breeders really do want to stay in contact and will be interested in the puppies' lives and don't want to bother anyone...