Bird Like Toys For A Goldie

GoldenGirl85

My Golden is bird crazy, so much that she will pick up feathers etc on a walk...I had always found this to be a distraction, until I started thinking that this could be used for her training...

So anyway, I need ideas on some very bird like toys to use as rewards for her, I was suggested to use a feather duster, which works well, but its not an easy toy to use, and I can only imagine her taking it off to chew on...Id forever be buying them!!! add to the fact that the only feather duster I could find was a very long stick like one, and I have a feeling my last flatmate was hitting her....she is happy until she thinks she is going to get hit with the 'stick' :thumbsup:

I did have an idea to make a tug out of a feather boa...but for some reason that didnt have the desired effect on her

ideas please! Smisch did tell me about a squeaky toy that quacks like a duck...but she wasnt able to find a link for one...

I bought this squeaky rubber chicken dog toy from kmart and my Kelpie X really loves it. It obviously isn't realistic looking and is damn ugly but she really enjoys playing with it.

f224ebdb.jpg

I actually quite like it - its looks really quirky with its big head :rainbowbridge:

I bought this squeaky rubber chicken dog toy from kmart and my Kelpie X really loves it. It obviously isn't realistic looking and is damn ugly but she really enjoys playing with it.

f224ebdb.jpg

I actually quite like it - its looks really quirky with its big head :rainbowbridge:

:rainbowbridge: We call the toy "chicken" and this afternoon I asked Tilly if she wanted chicken and she started licking her lips and got all excited, so the toy is a winner with her. :rainbowbridge:

you dont need to salt bird wings, if you break them off the animal whole and stretch them out, them let them dry in a warmish airy place they will be right.

Saying that do you want to encourage your dog to go for birds with real feathers? Retrievers are one thing in hunting scenarios they are taught to not mouth or kill if possible.

That's the beauty of it though! Drive satisfaction comes easily through her handler.

I guess.... as long as she doesn't make the leap to the warm blooded feathery toys :laugh:

She's a Goldie, it would have to be a slow bird :shhh: Mind you, my old boy caught a water rat the other night, but I think jumping off the cliff assisted his speed...

I never gave my Shelley toys that looked like a bird but yet she loves to chase the ducks and any other flying bird. She is to slow to catch them. But i call her away from them which she listens pretty well. Actually at times the ducks seem like they want to play lol

Ok, Ive been tracking this thread on my phone lol

I went and got a few bird toys today, K-mart had a rubber squeaky chicken but not the one posted above, they also had a plush squeaky chicken, so I got both of those, I also went to National Geographic and got a parrot from there...parrot was a big hit lol, she loves it

The whole aim of this is to get some drive out of her, these toys will only come out when I want her to work for me

@GR and GayleK...ummm, no, especially considering what I came home to today

180804_10150109521573025_535128024_6224407_4463654_n.jpg

That's the beauty of it though! Drive satisfaction comes easily through her handler.

I guess.... as long as she doesn't make the leap to the warm blooded feathery toys ;)

She's a Goldie, it would have to be a slow bird :confused: Mind you, my old boy caught a water rat the other night, but I think jumping off the cliff assisted his speed...

Out of my two Id be more worried about my JRT getting birds than my Goldie lol...