Shampoo

Hi what brands of shampoo would be best to use on a golden retriever? right now i'm only using Eucalyptus wool wash that you buy at the supermarket. Its really made for washing clothes. I want a shampoo that will leave Shelley with a nice smell afterwards and will do her coat good. What does everyone thing about Eucalyptus wool wash? The reason i'm using it is cause it said its a natural way to get rid of fleas even tho my dog doesn't have fleas.

Eucalyptus can be toxic to dogs in high doses and has no proven effect on fleas.

A detergent is pretty harsh on coat too.

For a supermarket shampoo, something like the Exelpet conditioning shampoo is probably good. Fido's is a good reasonably priced brand too.

I'd suggest you ask for breed specific recommendation in the Retriever thread.

What about the organic Natural Paws shampoo in a block (less than $10) and last ages. Or a conditioner like Fido,s Creme Conditioning with chamomile & macadamia oil, it leaves their coats very soft and a has nice smell. I use it as a leave in conditioner on my older cat & dog.

Too harsh for dogs, wrong ph, too much detergent. A recipe for skin problems. Trouble is, the problems don't begin next week, but 3 years down the track when the skin is so deranged it simply breaks down, and everyone has forgotten the wool wash.

Save it for your clothes and buy dog shampoo.

There are heaps and heaps of good, inexpensive dog shampoos. It may seem more expensive that human shampoo, but it goes further.

Aristopet make nice ones, well priced, Aloveen, ...... I could go on and on.

Too harsh for dogs, wrong ph, too much detergent. A recipe for skin problems. Trouble is, the problems don't begin next week, but 3 years down the track when the skin is so deranged it simply breaks down, and everyone has forgotten the wool wash.

There are heaps and heaps of good, inexpensive dog shampoos. It may seem more expensive that human shampoo, but it goes further.

Aristopet make nice ones, well priced, Aloveen, Fidos ...... I could go on and on.

Aristopet make nice ones, well priced, Aloveen, Fidos ...... I could go on and on.

thanks for the reply i'll be buying dog shampoo from now on. I don't mind spending money on a good product. Just want a product that will get rid of fleas,leaves my dog smelling nice for a while eg not just like 5 minutes. I love the smell of perppermint,lavender,orange, I want something that smells girly for Shelley.

thanks for the reply i'll be buying dog shampoo from now on. I don't mind spending money on a good product. Just want a product that will get rid of fleas,leaves my dog smelling nice for a while eg not just like 5 minutes. I love the smell of perppermint,lavender,orange, I want something that smells girly for Shelley.

Try the Fuzzyard range or Nootie - they both have lovely fragrances and good quality.

I suggest you use a separate treatment for fleas - there are many good ones.

I treat fleas only if and when I find them but I don't live in an area prone to them as a rule.

Get frontline or one of the other similar products for flees, shampoo only very short fix.

If there are fleas on your dog, then you need to treat your yard, home and bedding in order to break the cycle.

Wash your dog or give it a capstar to kill the fleas in it, then apply a flea treament that lasts a month such as Frontline. Flea bomb the house, wash all bedding.

Spay outdoor areas with Malaban or similar and treat your gardens and lawn with lime.

Hi what brands of shampoo would be best to use on a golden retriever? right now i'm only using Eucalyptus wool wash that you buy at the supermarket. Its really made for washing clothes. I want a shampoo that will leave Shelley with a nice smell afterwards and will do her coat good. What does everyone thing about Eucalyptus wool wash? The reason i'm using it is cause it said its a natural way to get rid of fleas even tho my dog doesn't have fleas.

:laugh: If your dog doesn't have fleas then you're not getting rid of anything.

Aloveen is nice, as is PAW Nutriderm. Better off to use a gentle shampoo than a harsh smelly one IMO. You can always give a spray of doggy cologne or use a scentled detangler to make her smell nice afterwards. PAW make a rose scented mist, Fuzzyard make a whole range of scented sprays too.

I'm a big fan of Hoss Gloss (which is not just for horses). I love the smell, it distributes and washes really well and leaved them lovely and shiny. I previously used aloveen but find this just as good and cheaper.