Is This Retrieving Instinct?

megan_

My boy is a poodle x, and in the last 6 months he has started displaying a new behaviour. When I arrive home and put hte key in the door, he runs and picks up a toy and proudly shows it to me. He eats in his crate and when I say "crate time" he often grabs a toy and runs to the crate too.

Is this retrieving instinct? If so, are there any good websites, books etc that I can use to train him basic retrieving?

It may be, but when my girl does this I am pretty certain that it's an arousal displacement behaviour. I think there was a thread about it a while ago but I'm not sure what the topic name was. My girl won't fetch to save her life but will always pick something up and bring it to us if she is excited or nervous, and you can see that it noticeably calms her down :cry:

My dog does this too. Even if I'm already home and my OH comes home, he has to go get something in his mouth to greet him with. The best explanation that I got for it was that it was a displacement behaviour like Wuffles said. If I remember right, and I could be wrong, the explanation was that its like when you see someone that you think you know, and you wave - but it turns out you don't know the person, so you pretend you're patting your hair. Your puppy wants to greet you by sniffing you somewhere inappropriate, and licking your face. You've trained them that this is bad, so they get something in their mouth. Its really interesting!

He does always bring his ball back to me when I throw it.

This sounds more like retrieving instinct to me :cry:

My Whippet always grabs a toy when I come home too, and he's not what I regard as a natural retriever!!

thanks for the responses.

RS - I thought poodles were retrievers? He is crossed with a terriorist - mini schnauzer. He doesn't behave like a typical terrier though.

Very well could be, I don't know :cry: I usually only think of those retrievers in the Gundog group as retrievers, but you're right I think the poodles were bred for hunting weren't they? Don't think they are eligible for Retrieving officially as they aren't a Gundog (ETA: why not though if they were bred to retrieve? Interesting, hope someone can educate us!) As for your original question, sorry, no idea :eek:

Edited by RubyStar

He does always bring his ball back to me when I throw it.

This sounds more like retrieving instinct to me :cry:

My Whippet always grabs a toy when I come home too, and he's not what I regard as a natural retriever!!

So does one of my Borzoi. I think it's calming/displacement, she's not allowed to jump on me in excitement so she does this instead. That's what it looks like anyway.

Poodles were used as water retreivers, it's where their 'funny' hair cuts evolved from, they were shaved down to ease movement in water but the puffs were left to protect their organs I believe. In the USA STandard poodles can compete in some hunting events, but not in Oz. The one Standard poodle that came to a retrieving trial I was at was scared of the birds!! :cry: But I do know several poodles that are keen retrievers.

My lab does this as well. I always thought it was a retriever thing- they like having something in their mouth at all times (particularly food :cry:).

My pup's retrieving instinct has just started to kick in- she is finally bringing her sticks and balls back to me. Its funny becuase she won't drop them at my feet (like my other dog did) but instead will want me to take them out of her mouth. I guess that would be a good thing for gundog work/retrieving trials?

My boy is a poodle x, and in the last 6 months he has started displaying a new behaviour. When I arrive home and put hte key in the door, he runs and picks up a toy and proudly shows it to me. He eats in his crate and when I say "crate time" he often grabs a toy and runs to the crate too.

Is this retrieving instinct? If so, are there any good websites, books etc that I can use to train him basic retrieving?

As others have said, in itself it could be displacement behaviour but that doesn't mean you can't use it to your advantage in retrieving. A lot of retriever pups are encouraged right from the start, whenever they bring something to you, you praise to make it a really good thing.

Depending on your requirements for retrieving I would begin with Sue Ailsby's method found in her Training Levels program at: http://www.dragonflyllama.com It is a good all-round retrieve for obedience, service dog training, and would be easily adapted for other disciplines (such as actual gundog work). Shirley Chong also has a very detailed plan on her website, www.shirleychong.com

If you just want a nice play retrieve for games of fetch or training in drive, the "two toy game" (search for "two ball game" or "two hose game") is a good place to start. Be warned, although it is the easiest way to start and taps into natural retrieving drive, it is often the long way around for training a more formal retrieve.

thanks everyone. I'm always on the lookout to see what my dogs are naturally good at and plan things around that. Oh well,

Thanks for the links Aidan. I have often looked at the Dragonfly Lama site and though the levels were great - but I've been to lazy to do it properly.

My boy always gets his toy when he is excited when someone he likes comes to the house, or when I come home. If he can't find his toy he will get one of my shoes and run around the house like a loon (even though he is nearly eight years old!)

He is a mad keen ball fiend but I see it as a bit different with his toy (or my shoes) as he doesn't give it to me, which he does with his ball.

If he is outside and the neighbour's dogs are barking he will also shake his toy madly and growl - since he isn't allowed to fence fight with next doors dogs.

I saw it as some kind of displacement behaviour.

My boy is a stafford crossed with a border collie and probably a few other bits and pieces but, so no retrieving breeds in him either but he definitely will retrieve a ball on land or in water, he will also search for a ball if I have hidden it, and loves scent games.

ETA interesting when dogs do things you don't expect. In another thread about working line dobes someone said dobes tend to grab decoys with their front legs, my boy used to do that when we first started to play tug before I taught him to release properly (I probably had the tug too close to my body).

Edited by Quickasyoucan

But I do know several poodles that are keen retrievers.

I know one little black toy poodle who is a mad keen ball retriever! :D She also loves swimming!

My dog is another who fetches a soft toy to greet me with when I get home - in fact I think it's quite common. I know quite a few people's dogs who do this. One dog also fetches a cushion and presents that to guests :)

Ruby fetches me a present every time I let her in the back door. Millie doesn't. Ruby loooooves her soft toys, she carries them around for hours on end if I let her, ever so gently. She doesn't do anything with them but carries them around, then when she lays down she lays it next to her, then when she gets up she brings her toy with her :D I'm yet to see if this soft mouth will translate to birds when we introduce birds in retrieving. I tug with her on occasion and she loves to chase balls, but she has a soft mouth when it comes to soft toys.

Yes, I think it is a very common thing with dogs. Of my four current dogs there is only one who doesn't do it and he has never been interested in toys once past puppyhood (and he's a gundog!).

My GSP constantly has something in his mouth and usually uses whatever he has grabbed as a 'pillow' when he lays down. It can be very cute :) My gundogs are always rewarded for bringing me things as I want to encourage any retrieving from them and never want them to think it's bad to bring me something. It does backfire at times when presented with some not so delightful presents. Polo brought me some fish heads while at the beach last week :D

Yes, I think it is a very common thing with dogs. Of my four current dogs there is only one who doesn't do it and he has never been interested in toys once past puppyhood (and he's a gundog!).

My GSP constantly has something in his mouth and usually uses whatever he has grabbed as a 'pillow' when he lays down. It can be very cute :rofl: My gundogs are always rewarded for bringing me things as I want to encourage any retrieving from them and never want them to think it's bad to bring me something. It does backfire at times when presented with some not so delightful presents. Polo brought me some fish heads while at the beach last week :laugh:

:D :)

And I thought it was only cats that proudly brought back their "kill" to show their owners!!! :(