Confused About Dog Food

rrlover

I have a litter of Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies due in two weeks and am completely confused as to which brand of dry food to feed them.

Had been feeding adult dogs on Proplan Performance (amercian version) but am now being told the Australian version is not good at all.

Considered Advance - being told that is crap also.

I also want a brand that will be easy to purchase for their new owners.

Any feedback or assistance would be appreciated.

We feed raw to our adults but raise pups on Advance as not all puppy owners want to do a raw diet.

We have never had trouble with Advance and it is well priced compared to some other brands of equal quality.

Everyone will have their own opinion on what is good and what is "crap", there is nothing wrong with Advance and it certainly isnt crap.

If your dogs are doing well on Proplan, perhaps put the puppies onto Proplan puppy formula?

I wouldn't call it "crap" either, not when comparing it to supermarket foods, but there is definitely "something wrong with it". I personally wouldn't feed Advance or Proplan, I did check both when I was looking around for the best food, but found that they have a lot of grains and ingredients you don't recognise.

I ended up feeding Nutro for a while, which was ok, but I still wasn't happy with it. I eventually found an online site that sells both Artemis and Canidae, which are superior foods when compared to Nutro, Advance, Proplan, Royal Caning etc. Canidae is 100% grain free, and I think there is a grain free version of Artemis too. I ended up getting Canidae, which is working well at the moment, and I got Felidae for the cats, which is the feline version, and it's amazing how much less they need to eat (the cats were previously eating RC). It also works out cheaper than both Nutro and RC when I buy the big bags.

There might be a supplier near you, or you can buy it online at www.petdeli.com.au

Nutrience and Royal Canin are pretty readily available and not as expensive either as Artemix, Canidae etc.

You have to think of cost and availability, most stores will easily access RC/Nutro etc but few will have the grain frees through their regular suppliers if they dont already.

(I googled for a price and this came up about canidae as one of the top 5 search results http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html)

I've tried most dry dog foods over the years and I've found Nutro (both the US and Australian made product) and Black Hawk to be the best for my dogs. I only changed from Nutro because Black Hawk is cheaper and it appears to work just as well as Nutro. However different dogs do best on different foods and what suits one may not suit another, some of the most expensive brands gave my dogs gas and loose poo.

Edited by Miranda

I know of several RR breeders who feed and recommend Nutrience. My own ridgie came to me on Nutrience Medium Breed puppy, his breeder recommended it over the large breed (due to protein/fat ratio I think?). We now feed 100% raw.

eta, just looked back over your posts and realised that your Stevie is a half sister to my Kei :laugh:

Edited by SecretKei

i like nutro also... but i feed the dog all raw now.. i would reccomend u give it a go if not feed less dry and lots of raw meaty bones :)

Like grp 5 said many have different opinions on what to feed so i guess its take in all the advise and then work out what is working best for ur babies :rofl:

My new puppy came to me being raised on raw by his breeder, which I continued. I have time to make it up from scratch, but barf patties aren't hard to source (most pet stores that have premium dry food would have it) for new puppy owners and thats no harder than giving them biscuits.

Because RRs are such big dogs I think you would be asking for trouble if you expect hteir new owners to grow them properly on a raw diet. You need to find good quality large breed puppy food such as Eukanuba or Royal Canin - the varieties that are specifically formulated for large breed dogs; they have the correct calcium to phosphorous ratios.

Nutrience and Royal Canin are pretty readily available and not as expensive either as Artemix, Canidae etc.

You have to think of cost and availability, most stores will easily access RC/Nutro etc but few will have the grain frees through their regular suppliers if they dont already.

(I googled for a price and this came up about canidae as one of the top 5 search results http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html)

It is always a bit hard to compare prices unless you work out the cost per kilo. I think Artemis and Canidae are actually very well priced compared to some others, and both are rapidly becoming more readily available, including the grain free versions.

We've had great success with Nutrience, RC, Artemis and Canidae with our giant breed dogs, but it always will come down to the individual.

Suggest the OP get onto some of the Australian websites of any companies of interest and either check out availability or email them for info.

Sags

;)

I would not expect new owners to feed raw. Many lack knowledge to do it properly and end up over or under supplementing the diet or do not feed enough during growth spurts. That said, I do encourage raw and my puppies get a variety of raw foods but the base of their diet is kibble. Barf patties aren't very economical when feeding a large breed like a RR.

Its great if new owners choose to raise their puppy on a raw diet with guidence, however I think its a bit unfair to expect it, and by raising puppies on a strict raw diet it makes it a bit hard on new puppy owners.

JMO of course ;)