Bit Of A Dilemma - Need Some Advice

Pawfect

Is she sure that at 4 mths he had 2 testicles? Sounds to me that he still has an undescended testicle as a desexed dog cant tie outside as it sounds like he is doing.

They sure can! Desexed dogs have tied with bitches before.

Yep, you betcha they can, I've seen it happen, the male dogs owner was so proud of him too! :)

as to your friends dogs condition it can be dangerous, they can loose circulation. A dog I bred sometimes does it too and his owner has had to take him to the vet once when she just couldn't help him. If it keeps on being a problem I think they can operate to enlarge the sheath opening.

Edited by Kirislin

However, if this was my dog and he did this he would get no help at all. His punishment would be to deal with it himself. He is not going to get "drop off" or anything. Main thing is to stop him running through the dirt and prickles with unsheated equipment.

If it's a physical problem then why would you do this? This goes beyond just excitement lipstick, the pain it probably causes would contribute to the dogs overall anxiety level. He also risks rupturing vessels or tearing soft tissue and having permanent damage if left.

Desexed dogs can have trouble going back. My own idiot rottweiler decided after all this time to one day tie with my bitch. Guess who had to give him a 'hand'

I have seen two who had this issue often.

They had surgery where the opening to the sheath was enlarged, not heaps but enough to help stop the problem. They had a few sutures when all was healed up they did not have a reoccurane of the issue.

I do know of a lady who owned a dog who required his penis to be amputated because of the same problem.