On Behalf Of Amy

shanika

There is a little Cattle Dog called Amy, who is, tonight, asleep at a kennel property. It is where she was born, and bred.

Amy, went out, rehomed, when she was 2 and a half years old. Amy is a beautiful, little, blue Australian Cattle Dog.

An elderly lady, gave her a home. 8 months ago.

Her dog had died, and she thought an ACD would be good company, never owned the breed before.

The breeder was hesitant, but, sent Amy to her "forever" home.

At first, everyone loved Amy, especially the grandchildren.

Amy was going well in her new home.

Happy,happy little girl !

Everyone loved Amy !

But, now, the grandchildren, visit a lot more,

and run, and play, a lot more.

Amy, has become protective of her owner, and her home.

She barked, and nipped at the children.

An Australian Cattle Dog, is protective when it comes to home, and people.

The breed is famous for this protective trait.

Given the right guidance, the breed is wonderful with young people,

and will protect them, very well.

Sadly, Amy was not given this guidance.

Sadly, suddenly, she is no longer wanted.

Tonight, Amy will be wondering,

"Where is my Mum ? When is she picking me up, to go home ? "

Hopefully, someone else will call, and give Amy a real "forever" home.

Please,please, consider your reasons for getting a dog.

Please,please research the breed you have chosen, well, before getting a dog.

Please do not break a little dog's heart !!

I write this for Amy.

If I did not already have 3 Australian Cattle Dogs, I would bring her home.

Unfortunately, I do not have the room for another.

But, please, consider everything, before you break some little dog's heart !!

This is a similar story to that of my most recent addition, Shae.

As a baby puppy she was sold to someone said all the right words, but in time, the owners got bored with the dog, couldn't be bothered exercising her, got tired of training her and left her in their backyard day and night, neglected and lonely. She did the only thing she knew how.....tried to attract attention the only way she knew how, by barking, howling, digging and destroying anything she could. All she wanted was someone to pay attention to her and no one did, then one day they took her back to her breeders and told then the dog was a nuisance because she barked and howled and destroyed things.

Her behaviour was so out of control the breeder thought he would have to have her euthanased, but he took her to a vet to be assessed and she was given to the vet nurse who took a liking to her.

Four years later, he behaviour was normal, and she'd lived a nice life but then they went overseas and didn't take her with them so once again she found herself back at her breeders.

We have her now. I can't understand how anyone could leave this exquisite little dog behind, she is an absolute darling and just wants someone to love her. So we are doing that for the rest of her life.

Tonight, Amy will be wondering,

"Where is my Mum ? When is she picking me up, to go home ? "

Poor Amy, but at least she wasn't dumped at a pound.

If her heart is breaking now, I guess she would also have been wondering and asking the same questions when she was first rehomed as a 2 1/2 year old.

Edited by Diva

This post doesn't sit well for me.

Sometimes the match between an owner (and the owner's situation) and a dog just isn't right.

What if that elderly lady was doing her best and it wasn't enough? Maybe she could have got a behaviourist out to help her with the problems - but maybe she also thought that it was too much of a risk if she couldn't get it right. Maybe she thought that her situation just wasn't the best for Amy?

I don't think you can be really too hard on someone who returns a dog because they are posing a threat to members of their family.

And honestly most dogs are a lot more resilient than that. And actually I don't think Amy will be thinking "where is my mummy?" because she is a dog.

What if the best thing for Amy is to be a working dog on a farm?