In Heat Very Depressed And Seems Some Tummy Pain

mini girl

My mini poodle 2 years next month is having her third heat - she was her normal happy playful self up till this afternoon - its the 10th day - but today she has become very depressed and not at all her usual self - took her temperature its normal - she ate her dinner and seems alert but really depressed picked her up and she wimpered with what I imagine was tummy pain - this has got me quite worried - my other 2 girls from different lines never had this - rang the vet and the girl said its normal for dogs to have symptoms like a woman at period time - but am concerned if to rush her to the vet or not - she seems to have lost all interest in the boys - was going to mate her for her first litter this time. Her vulva is very swollen - I don't remember noticing such a mood change in her last two heats - but she has always been a bit sensitive if you touched her vulva doesn't like it at all. The boys have definately not mated with her - have kep them away today. Anyone had this happen to them, Its after hours on Saturday night and only emergency vets around - don't always like using them but what do you think - does she need a vet to examine her or is this normal for some dogs?

I wouldn't say completely abnormal if she is generally a bit of a spoilt darling perhaps ;)

First heat some sulk terribly, second heat usually OK, third heat it is sometimes as if it's finally very real to them, their hormones are going full bore and the precious ones can sometimes get a bit prima-donna-ish. Very swollen vulva, unless you are meaning freakishly abnormal as if she's got an allergic reaction to something, is often a sign their fertile period is fast approaching and this is when any of mine that are going to act weird start doing so.

Obviously monitor her, temp, colour, water intake, food etc but I wouldn't pamper or pander to her any more than usual.

Thanks for that she seems ok at the moment - wagged her tail at me and came upstairs no problem maybe she is just hormonal - and a spoilt little darling to boot - but not too bad really - will keep a close eye on her tonight - was so hoping to breed her so hope it will be ok - if she is still like it in the morning I will take her for a check up at the vets - not my usual vet but a pretty good one that does open Sundays. She is laying in the office with me now and seems so tired. The vulva is swollen but not anything I would consider abnormal.

Just to finish the story - I stayed with her all night and this morning she is back to her old self again - my older boy tried to mount her this morning and was going ok but then she when crazy - this happened twice and now he won't try again - will separate them overnight and see if tomorrow morning is ok - a friend suggest I give her bach or Bush flower rescue remedy before we try to mate her.

I think the trouble is she wants the younger boy - but not ready to breed him yet - so he is going to a kennel for a couple of days this afternoon. This is her first mating - my other girls were so easy and my boy had not one bit of trouble with them - but this girl !!!

Hope it works or its another 6 months.

I have a bitch who will stand and ready but as soon as the dog mounts she freaks out, she has had a litter but missed last season as I didn't hold her. She is the only one of mine that I have to hold each time to get a mating. Perhaps try to hold her head and other hand under her stomach to hold her up lol.

Tummy pain may be nothing to do with her being in season, could just be wind, bit constipated or similar.

Maybe put her on a lead & out of her comfort zone with the boy where she will not be as confident to play up.

Room she doesn't normally go in, front garden etc. Maybe boy won't try as she is not ready.

If he mounts & can't get in have her checked for a stricture.

Couldn't believe that was what one of mine had, it was so puzzling.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice - I feel so happy I have this forum to ask questions on - I said to my husband this morning - just when you think you know it all something else happens - guess I will go on learning.

But back to what happened - well this morning after my boy had the night away from her was so eager and she was too but the same thing happened two attempts then her jumping and carrying on like a real little prima donna - I was sitting at the computer doing a google for an AI vet in Brisbane when I heard her crying and wow!!! they were well and truely locked together - but she was letting anyone who would listen know she didn't appreciate loosing her virginity - my boy just stood there not moving or making a fuss - my husband and I both held her for the full 30 minutes and she cried most of the time - not a cy of pain more like when they are locked out of the house or just want attention - after it was all over she was as bouncy and happy as ever - out of my 3 girls I've bred before she is the first to act up like this - but thankfully its all god now - well hope so - I gave her the rescue remedy while she was tied to see if that would help - but I think I needed it more than she did. PS - I didn't have to put the younger male in a kennel after all - I put him in the garage with my oldest girl who is now desexed and they were fine. Let them out after it was alll over. May let them have another try in the morning.

Had another mating this morning - I will now call it a day - she seems fine of course the boy is still interested but I think the two may be enough - she was also very vocal again this morning during the tie - any one had a bitch that does this - and do they get over it.