I'm Going To Be A Schnauzer "aunty"!

LizT

Well after years of procrastinating my sister is finally getting a dog. I guess they finally buckled to pressure from their youngest (10 year old girl same age as my youngest) She is animal crazy and loves coming to my place because of all the animals here. Also both girls (the elder is 15) loves my mums dog and spent alot of time there so have had a dog in their life but none of the work associated with them.

I am so pleased they are getting a Schnauzer (Standard/mid sized) as I think they have done their homework and this is a breed that will suit them all. Non smelling, non shedding, can be outdoors and indoors. I would have given the girls a Cavalier Puppy but Cavaliers are just not a breed that is suitable for them for a number of reasons.

AND the whole family spent a fair bit of time with the breeder at last years Melbourne Royal which is terrific and lead them to the decision.

So anyway, the litter was born on the 17th of January, they are going up to visit when the puppies are 6 weeks old and they are getting a male.

They have purchased a puppy pen for him already as I strongly suggested they should get one to make things safer for everyone. Amongst other things of course! :D

So now I am a Schnauzer "Aunty". I know my sister will be looking to me for doggy advice so I'll have to be really careful. My first piece of advice to her was "Be guided by your breeder, they are more than happy to answer your questions"!

Well after years of procrastinating my sister is finally getting a dog. I guess they finally buckled to pressure from their youngest (10 year old girl same age as my youngest) She is animal crazy and loves coming to my place because of all the animals here. Also both girls (the elder is 15) loves my mums dog and spent alot of time there so have had a dog in their life but none of the work associated with them.

I am so pleased they are getting a Schnauzer (Standard/mid sized) as I think they have done their homework and this is a breed that will suit them all. Non smelling, non shedding, can be outdoors and indoors. I would have given the girls a Cavalier Puppy but Cavaliers are just not a breed that is suitable for them for a number of reasons.

AND the whole family spent a fair bit of time with the breeder at last years Melbourne Royal which is terrific and lead them to the decision.

So anyway, the litter was born on the 17th of January, they are going up to visit when the puppies are 6 weeks old and they are getting a male.

They have purchased a puppy pen for him already as I strongly suggested they should get one to make things safer for everyone. Amongst other things of course! :)

So now I am a Schnauzer "Aunty". I know my sister will be looking to me for doggy advice so I'll have to be really careful. My first piece of advice to her was "Be guided by your breeder, they are more than happy to answer your questions"!

Brilliant, congrats on becoming a Schnuazer auntie :D

oh that's wonderful :laugh:

and sounds like everything is off to a flying start with all the research that has been done and the fact that Aunty Liz is on hand to assist when needed :hug:

Yes, and Aunty Liz is doing some more reading on Schnauzers too (did some when they first mentioned the breed as a possibility) and my daughter found a "Schnauzer puppy soft toy" the other day that we left at Grandparents for my young neice Eliza to have! They are all so excited. :(

I know I sound like the voice of doom and gloom -- but I am not, really!! Standard schnauzers do need someone with a bit of experience and they do need training, but I guess your sister does have some experience with dogs? Schnauzers in the hands of experienced exhibitors are complete pussies but I am sure the breeder will give them assistance if needed.

Not bagging them - great dog, but not an "easy" dog like a Cavalier. Just so they know.

And Schnauzer pups are to die for - such great little people with huge personalities.

Before having mini schnauzers, we had the utmost pleasure of sharing our home with a standard schnauzer. These dogs are extremely intelligent and it has been said that they are the dog with a human brain. They do need firm hand, but your sister will be rewarded with a totally devoted companion for many years. We didn't have to command,we just spoke to him as if in conversation and he carried out what we wanted him to do. He was my soul mate and my velcro dog.

Standards are a fantastic dog in the right hands but can be a difficult dog for first time owners - make sure you are right there ready with the 'aunty advice' so their standard becomes one of the fantastic ones.

I am astounded you found a soft toy - most things schnauzer seem to be mini schnauzer - I know how incredibly rare it is to find anything for the standards or giants. I am always on the lookout for standard stuff for a close friend who breeds and shows and it is really hard to find.

I know I sound like the voice of doom and gloom -- but I am not, really!! Standard schnauzers do need someone with a bit of experience and they do need training, but I guess your sister does have some experience with dogs? Schnauzers in the hands of experienced exhibitors are complete pussies but I am sure the breeder will give them assistance if needed.

Not bagging them - great dog, but not an "easy" dog like a Cavalier. Just so they know.

And Schnauzer pups are to die for - such great little people with huge personalities.

Agree. We have two in my extended family. Beautiful but need LOTS of boundaries - constantly. My aunts has taken to nipping people he deems a threat- and he is very well socialized, he just gets away with too much. My cousins STD schnauzer is a lot softer and lives with 4 kids. She is very much part of the family but is treated like a dog and doesn't get away with anything.

I'm a first time dog owner and I picked a mini schnauzer :)

and i must say i didn't realise how much grooming they needed .. we groom ours every 7/8 weeks .. and we do try and brush/comb him at least once a week .. because if his skirt / legs are a little long they get very very knotted ...

Our grooming cost us anywhere between $70/$90 each time so thats probably a cost that needs to be considered ..

Also we are now having a great deal of trouble with barking .. which we are working on but it's finding it hard to go back and re train things to get the barking under control ...

Just some more food for thought :D

*LoTTy*

PS: great breed of dog :p

*EDIT* typo's :|

Edited by LoTTy

Nah, Jed..actually you are echoing my concerns when they first told me.....but they are going to take him to training (where I'm sure they will learn as much as Ziggy does) and they are getting a male because the breeder has advised them they are 'easier' than bitches. My brother in law has had experience with dogs such as Labs pre marriage but they haven't had a dog in their lives (over 20 years) so it's certainly going to be a enlightening experience for them. My sister doesn't really have much experience (training wise) at all as she is five years younger than me and all the family dogs were my thing not hers. It could be interesting. My money is on my youngest niece and Dad. My hope is that if the breeder thought them unsuitable for a 'novice ' family she would have steered them away.

yeah schnauzer's can be barky/guardy. and yes standard schnauzers need secure boundaries and strong leadership - cos they're smart! but they are fab with kids (well all the ones i've known are) and they can be such fab dogs - really funny and really loving and loyal. they won't want to go home with anyone else at the dog park, but then i like that about them!

lots of training involving the kids and they'll have a great dog for many years :)

after all, you haven't experienced love until you've had beardy kisses!

I'm a first time dog owner and I picked a mini schnauzer :)

and i must say i didn't realise how much grooming they needed .. we groom ours every 7/8 weeks .. and we do try and brush/comb him at least once a week .. because if his skirt / legs are a little long they get very very knotted ...

Our grooming cost us anywhere between $70/$90 each time so thats probably a cost that needs to be considered ..

Also we are now having a great deal of trouble with barking .. which we are working on but it's finding it hard to go back and re train things to get the barking under control ...

Just some more food for thought :D

*LoTTy*

PS: great breed of dog :p

*EDIT* typo's :|

My sister is a very high maintenence woman grooming wise ...hair, nails, clothes, pedicures, lash extensions $$$$. The list goes on. She is one who will have a pre booked regular appointment at the groomers for her pooch. I'm sure they will manage the brushing etc. between visits as long as the dog is kept professionally clipped.

Standards are a fantastic dog in the right hands but can be a difficult dog for first time owners - make sure you are right there ready with the 'aunty advice' so their standard becomes one of the fantastic ones.

I am astounded you found a soft toy - most things schnauzer seem to be mini schnauzer - I know how incredibly rare it is to find anything for the standards or giants. I am always on the lookout for standard stuff for a close friend who breeds and shows and it is really hard to find.

Yep..I have to find the fine line between being helpful and "smart ass know it all!" You know how family can get. :)

I think the toy is just a "Generic" schnauzer .....but my neice thought it was cute! :D

Make sure it is a tall & strong puppy pen as Std Schnauzers are amazing jumpers even as pups.

FIRST thing I told her...apparently this one has a cover too. I've seen quite a few Schnauzers doing agility/Obedience and told her she didn't want Jnr. getting out while no one was watching!!!

That's awesome! We need more people like your sister when it comes to adding a dog as a family member. Sounds like she has done her research. :)

Yeah..she's a Legal P.A. Research is her thing. Plus she'd been researching different breeds for a few years now. Thought she'd never settle on one.