How Dog Friendly Is Adelaide

coco chanel

YOu can take your dog into the CBD - RUndle Mall etc however they generally wont be allowed into shops. We use to take ours into the CBD every Friday night to get the photos done and she was allowed into the photo shop but it was on James Place not Rundle Mall itself. She also use to be allowed into the budget CD DVD store there too.

However walking through the mall they do tend to get a bit bug eyed coz there are lots of people and things like strollers and those gocart/scooter things the elderly use to get around if they cant walk great distances.

They will also hunt for possums in the eastern parklands (rymill park) and they can be off the lead but MUST be under control - obviously you want to put them back on lead well before you get back to the road.

Yep I think Adelaide is pretty dog friendly. I have three westies and had no problem with Unley council (inner citysuburbs) getting the third westie registered. It appears they didn't even ask neighbours and stuff as when I asked the neighbours if they'd been approached by the council and they said they hadn't. Mind you there were no complaints on file against my address either! And my neighbours all love them and know them by name...

There are many dog friendly cafes around Adelaide - some favs of mine are Grimaldi's and the Duthy Street Deli. I work in the city and frequently see dogs on lead in the city - doesn't seem to be a problem.

Good luck with your move. I've lived in five states in Australia and feel SA is up there with the best - and Adelaide is a great size - all the advantages of the eastern states big cities without the disadvantages - and has recently been named the most livable city in Australia. And we have great DOL meets!

Well I think we have chosen a great place to move too :) Just another question for you all. We are going to be renting and I have heard quite negative comments about renting with dogs and how impossible it is. Have any of you any experiences in this area.

Well I think we have chosen a great place to move too :) Just another question for you all. We are going to be renting and I have heard quite negative comments about renting with dogs and how impossible it is. Have any of you any experiences in this area.

It wont necessarily be easy - difficult like it is in many places BUT if you can get dog references from previous landlords that will help a lot. (Have friends who rent with dogs and lots of children (6) and they had lots of problems getting rentals but the references really really really helped)

What are the most dog friendly councils in Adelaide, in terms of permits for numbers (and ease of obtaining permits for extra dogs) and restrictions on numbers?

Not sure what it is like in the city. I live at Murray Bridge (3/4 hour via freeway from Adelaide) and have a permit for 6 dogs. I live in the town on 1/2 an acre and the permit was easy to get but that was 15 years ago. I have an inspection every 3 years which is very basic and easy to pass.

Leanne

I rent with pets. Definately do a Doggy Resume if you can and references from a previous landlord gets you a looooong way.

I wouldn't say it was easy, I found it very frustrating to find a good place (ie a place that wasn't a stinky hovel and at a good rate), but they are out there. You just have to be persistant. Some Real Estate Agents are better than others with pets. I'm with Remaxx in Mount Barker, I find their property manager to be awesome. Very understanding of pets and realistic about inspection reports.

I rent with pets. Definately do a Doggy Resume if you can and references from a previous landlord gets you a looooong way.

I wouldn't say it was easy, I found it very frustrating to find a good place (ie a place that wasn't a stinky hovel and at a good rate), but they are out there. You just have to be persistant. Some Real Estate Agents are better than others with pets. I'm with Remaxx in Mount Barker, I find their property manager to be awesome. Very understanding of pets and realistic about inspection reports.

I am definately going to put together a doggy resume. We currently own our own home which we will be renting out so I am going to get the property manager to provide a reference on it. I am also going to get references from the neighbours about how there is no barking etc. We do travel a lot and use holiday houses so I am in the process of getting references from the owners of these too. Hopefully all this will help.

Unless it has changed Port Adelaide council allowed 5 dogs in their area.

Written neighbours support & extra fee for each dog was applied. That is what I had there until I moved 7 years ago. No problems at all.

Rural areas are very variable, some being fairly relaxed & others being strict where you would not expect it. Each council has its own rules. There is no unification. You have to phone & ask.

Rental with dogs are hard to find. It is usually the houses that are not so good or in not the best areas that tend to be more flexible.

Yes dogs are allowed on-lead in Rundle Mall. We had a BC walk into the middle of town and all stood around outside Borders books :cry: .

And boy did 20 BCs in Rundle Mall draw lots of attention. LOL

For what the OP is syaing they are looking for Adelaide should be fine. I can't think of anywhere outdoors that an onlead dog can't go and lots of Cafes are find with dogs at outside tables.

I rented in NE suburbs of Adelaide for 12 months with a GSD and 2 kids. I offered references for the dog and explained that he was obedience trained. Even got the choice of 2 properties in the end. Both were good, clean houses with large yard. Never found inspections a problem and was asked to come back if I ever needed to rent again.

If you do train your dog, I would suggest getting a letter from the head instructor to go with you application. If not, Tea Tree Gully council has it's own obedience program and you could ask for an assessment if you want to live in this area. (You haven't indicated where you are looking)

Good luck with your search and welcome to Adelaide!