Toxic Sea Slug Warning For Perth Beaches

Guest Willow

Saw this on the news tonight....we have had these things on our beaches for years, but i didn't know what they were.....anyway, they're about the size of a footy cut in half, and sort of browny red in colour....look like a big fleshy lump.

Apparently loads of them are washing up on perth beaches because of the cyclones, and a few dogs have been poisoned by them after eating them. The symptoms are very much like snail bait poisoning.....

so, anyway, Perth DOLers be careful if you take your dogs to the beach, and if you notice any funny symptoms (trembling, tremors, etc.....) get them to the vets!!!!

There was a DOLer, I think from WA who lost her pup (a Sibe if my memory is correct) last year to one of these, who posted a warning. I think they said that any contact is potentially lethal, regardless of wether dog eats it or just comes into contact. Thanks for the warning though, was only discussing this recently with family members warning them about it, but thought that sea slugs would be more north. Might rule out the beach trips for abit to be safe.

ETA This is the thread I was thinking off http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...00#entry4493433

Edited by ozjen