Turned Someone Off A Pet Shop Pup

Guest Willow

Had lunch with a girlfriend today, and she mentioned she had just been in the petshop next to the cafe....

Turns out she wants a purebred Stafford pup....took me all of two minutes ot explain why this was a bad idea.....with each sentence her face fell a little more.....she knew about puppy mills, but didn't realise that's where pet shops source a lot of pups from.

Anyway, she has asked for help finding a breeder, and whilst I could just send her to the CAWA or the puppy listings on DOL, but I would rather have a word of mouth recommendation.

Anyone have any breeder recommendations in Perth?

Dont have any recommendations but just wanted to say good work. You obviously said the right thing. Heres to hoping she is patient enough to go through the process. Also wanted to bump the topic so hopefully someone can help you out.

Thanks :party: She is patient.....the puppy is last years xmas present to herself, her OH & their son.......she has said Xmas will be whenever the puppy comes home :)

I have been out of it for a little while but there are a couple I can PM have to nip out and do some jobs but will send you a pm later.

yes please!!!! ;)

Well done Willow! :laugh:

*takes a bow* :vomit:

You could send Sandra777 a PM, she's bound to know someone in WA who would know someone good.

Or go through the WA ANKC branch and find the SBT club and breeders that way. Maybe avoid the breeders that select for "blue" because it's prone to genetic problems. There was a huge and sad thread in here recently on that where someone got an SBT puppy from interstate with all sorts of health problems she wasn't expecting.

Thank you Ososwift!!! :D

Thanks emery!!!

She actually wants a black staffy....you know, I don't actually know if there are black ones, or if they are extremely dark brindle :)

Thank you Ososwift!!! :D

Thanks emery!!!

She actually wants a black staffy....you know, I don't actually know if there are black ones, or if they are extremely dark brindle ;)

They're all black brindle. Some black brindles are blacker than others though :) Hope she's prepared for it to change colour - the black brindle ones often become surprisingly stripy as they age.

Edited by Sandra777

Thought I might tack on to this thread if that's o.k.

I have been asked by a friend; who was asked by her friend, to find if there are any good ethical stafford breeders around Wagga Wagga/Riverina.

So if you know of any, if you could reply here or send me a PM that would be great.

I have already mentioned the blue staffy thing to them :laugh:

Way to go, Willow!! :) Good luck finding your friend a breeder :p

I once spent ages convincing a friend not to get her puppy from a pet shop, contacted breeders and everything for her. She seemed to understand... Well that lasted a whole 5 minutes, she caved after seeing cute puppies at a pet shop :D

Thought I might tack on to this thread if that's o.k.

I have been asked by a friend; who was asked by her friend, to find if there are any good ethical stafford breeders around Wagga Wagga/Riverina.

So if you know of any, if you could reply here or send me a PM that would be great.

I have already mentioned the blue staffy thing to them :D

PM readysetgo she will know who to look for in that area :)