How To Get Into Showing.

whitka

I've been thinking about this for a while and I really want to get into showing or at least give it a go. Only problem is I dont have a dog to show nor will I be able to get one for a while :thumbsup: I have competed in Obeidence and Agility trials. So are there any options for those like me?

Edited by whitka

I've been thinking about this for a while and I really want to get into showing or at least give it a go. Only problem is I dont have a dog to show nor will I be able to get one for a while :thumbsup: I have competed in Obeidence and Agility trials. So are there any options for those like me?

I just kept on turning up to shows where people I know were showing and taking pictures for them. It eventually turned into me getting my own show girl in the middle of last year.

How far from KCC Park are you?

Most shows in Victoria are there is all.

Only thing you could do is sit with some Doler showies and let it known that you are able to handle dogs, I for one am usually the only of my breed there and with 2-3 dogs a runoff for challenge is a given and requiring another handler is kinda necessary :thumbsup:

Yeah, you can handle Isaak for me. I need to show him more but I don't like handling so kind of put off entering shows.

Ok :) But I think i'll need to lern how to handle a show dog first :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about this for a while and I really want to get into showing or at least give it a go. Only problem is I dont have a dog to show nor will I be able to get one for a while :sleep: I have competed in Obeidence and Agility trials. So are there any options for those like me?

I just kept on turning up to shows where people I know were showing and taking pictures for them. It eventually turned into me getting my own show girl in the middle of last year.

There's not alot of a shows around here and im just not in a postion where i'll be to get my own show dog for at least another couple of years.

How far from KCC Park are you?

Most shows in Victoria are there is all.

Only thing you could do is sit with some Doler showies and let it known that you are able to handle dogs, I for one am usually the only of my breed there and with 2-3 dogs a runoff for challenge is a given and requiring another handler is kinda necessary :thumbsup:

Im about 2 and a half hours from KCC park. I'd love to give handleing a go. It would be good practise for when I actaully get my own show dog

Edited by whitka

You can still attend show handling classes with your dog, I did with my desexed dog just to learn even though I had a huge wait until I could get a dog to show :thumbsup:

I plan to go back soon so Im ready for when my first show dog comes later in the year!

I did the same thing. Did a class and practiced with my Sibe, and now I have my show dog so we'll be going back to classes when she's fully vaccinated.

Hiya, which shows are in your part of town?

I'm more than happy for you to handle or even just practice with my guys if im at a suitable show. My older kids like to have someone new to handle them lol.

Eta just noticed you're out East, we don't show often that way for some reason :thumbsup: but the offer still stands if we do!

Edited by SpikesPuppy

Thanks SpikesPuppy :thumbsup:

I've been practiceing with my boy much to his disgust but I have no idea if im doing a good job or not :thumbsup:

HI Whitka may I ask what breed of dog do you have now???? & what breed are you thinking of getting to show???

Im about 2 and a half hours from KCC park. I'd love to give handleing a go. It would be good practise for when I actaully get my own show dog

Ahh that's right, around Bairnsdale?

If you are ever up this way give me a buzz, the next show I am at is the 6/3 you could handle one of mine.......there is usually no competition so no stress about not doing it right :thumbsup:

Thanks SpikesPuppy :sleep:

I've been practiceing with my boy much to his disgust but I have no idea if im doing a good job or not :thumbsup:

HI Whitka may I ask what breed of dog do you have now???? & what breed are you thinking of getting to show???

I have a Golden Retreiver, we used compete in trials. My next breed will be an Australian Sheperd but there are alot of breeds that I love.

Ahh that's right, around Bairnsdale?

If you are ever up this way give me a buzz, the next show I am at is the 6/3 you could handle one of mine.......there is usually no competition so no stress about not doing it right :(

Im in Sale :) I am going to try and get up to KCC Park just have to overcome my sookiness when it comes to driving :):thumbsup:

I'm the same whitka - I really want to get into showing :provoke: , but will be at least two years before I have my own show baby :love: (an Aussie as well :laugh: ). I'm just going to start going along to shows and watching, learning and hopefully meet some lovely people!!

My dogs aren't show dogs but I am fortunate enough to show two beautiful Borzoi for my elderly neighbour. I visited her and pestered her for years to see her dogs and make sure they were all well until finally she offered to let me show them, I am now hooked and have met many great people as a result :provoke:

Hey Whitka-

If you come to shows and hook up with people from DOL, I'm sure the opportunity to handle will come up :provoke:. If you ever want to have a go at handling let me know - although I will say that my lot are no where near as well behaved as Spikespuppy's are! LOL (but thats ok - a bit of a challenge is one of the reasons I love my breed!)

Hey Whitka-

If you come to shows and hook up with people from DOL, I'm sure the opportunity to handle will come up :provoke:. If you ever want to have a go at handling let me know - although I will say that my lot are no where near as well behaved as Spikespuppy's are! LOL (but thats ok - a bit of a challenge is one of the reasons I love my breed!)

That'll be mine. Challenging. Stacking Isaak is like stacking a lump of jelly, he tends to sag at one end and wobble at the other. He is very beautiful though, so at least you'd have a nice dog to start with.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I really want to get into showing or at least give it a go. Only problem is I dont have a dog to show nor will I be able to get one for a while :love: I have competed in Obeidence and Agility trials. So are there any options for those like me?

Hi Whitka if you are willing to drive to Pakenham on Sat, stay the night , We are happy to help you & you can handle one of our baby Papillons on Sun Morning at the Berwick Kennel club Champ show. we have 3 in & only 2 handlers my third handler cant make it. Papillon babies are very easy to handle, :provoke: ooppssss I should say any baby Pups are easy to handle :laugh: PM me if you like

I think I'd like to do the same, handle some other people's dog in preparation for the day I get my own. Not sure whose dogs I could handle though, don't know many DOL showies in Perth (and who would be happy to hand over a dog!!) ;)

Hi Whitka if you are willing to drive to Pakenham on Sat, stay the night , We are happy to help you & you can handle one of our baby Papillons on Sun Morning at the Berwick Kennel club Champ show. we have 3 in & only 2 handlers my third handler cant make it. Papillon babies are very easy to handle, ;) ooppssss I should say any baby Pups are easy to handle :D PM me if you like

Aww lucky, I love Papillons ;)

I didn't know there was a (reg) Pap breeder in town! :(