What's The Most Ridiculous Thing Your Dog's Been Called?

~Rumour~

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often had people call Yogi a Greyhound, he is a big Whippet but not Greyhound size, he has also been called a Tasmanian Tiger and my sister calls him snake neck puma body, she only gets away with it because I call her terrier x a toilet brush terrier in jest.

Not so amusingly I have had people tell me that Abbie is a Pit Bull in a rude manner and one person called her a pink pig :)

I would never tell a person their pet/child looked anything derogatory and find it the upmost rudeness that complete strangers feel they can insult my dogs.

My blue and white Whippet was mistaken for a Kangaroo...........my neighbour saw her sitting, from behind, and must have needed glasses. 100% true

:) The new, true blue kangaroo...

People often call our whippets Greyhounds, and think our Iggy is their pup (obviously colour plays not part in this)

As for our Mutant we've had him called a Hyena, another guy walked up and asked "What the hell is that?". We've even had people stop their car in the middle of the road to ask what he is...

Edited by Stormy

A horse.....................yep, I have Great Danes :)

Although, I did think one little girl was adorable. I had my harli Dane and the girl came up and said "I really like your dog..................she looks like a baby cow". :p

Akita, Basenji and Pug here.

My personal favourites are those who insist Rafael especially can't possibly be a full blood Shar Pei because he doesn't have enough wrinkles. Guess what folks, he is lol. Pei also apparently do not come in chocolate, hence Sofia is also some random cross breed :)

Apparently I own very rare GIANT pugs . Yep I own Shar Pei. :p

I haven't had anything too bad.

Just a malamute, or a samoyed or a mal x sammie

Since Esky is big enough to be a pure bred Malamute and almost fluffy enough to be a samoyed I usually just explain that she's a purebred husky, but she's also one of a kind!

Most people haven't seen a red husky though.

On identifing my dogs to the council ranger over the phone after a visit to my place I confirmed I had a black tri Aussie and a tri Papillon as registered with them. His reply was "okay, but what is the little blue merle dog?" Took me a second to realise he was talking about the tri Papillon who because of his age is quiet grey. :) Not a new breed or a rare colour and already registered with them.

Bronte has been confused/incorrectly named as (in increasing order of frequency):

A GSD X (because she has black in her tail and is clearly has GSD in her, heaven forbid she actually be a smooth shaded sable.)

A fox (admittedly she did have a very foxy look as a little pup)

A Greyhound X Border Collie (pointy face means its a Greyhound X you see)

A Border Collie - because that is the only type of Collie you know

God, what will the neighbourhood think when I have two of these hybrids????

Aww, give the non-dog people a break. Not everyone knows every breed or colour variation. It was years before I knew BCs come in a colour other than black and white, and only because a friend had a tricolour. I only discovered Pomeranians come in such a variety of colours quite recently. If you don't ever see one and you have no interest in them, why would you know? Erik the Vallhund regularly gets called a sawn-off German Shepherd or a German Shepherd cross corgi or a mini husky. I do not really see the obsession with GSDs, but given how many people say it there must be something about him that people identify with GSDs. Mostly they know that's not what he is, but they say what he looks like to them. Kivi the Lapphund has had Keeshond, Husky, Malamute and crosses thereof. I wouldn't know what to call him as either if I'd seen one a few years ago. I usually ask "what breed is that?" rather than making a fool of myself by guessing, though. :heart:

However, someone once asked me if my full-grown, very large Lapphund was related to my undersized tricolour, tailless Pembroke Corgi. That is crossing the line between ignorance and sheer idiocy.

:laugh: thats all right my two clasically marked BCs both have been referred to as kelpies and shelties :heart: . Hmmmm ok one is a little small for a BC but certainly does not look like your sterotypical sheltie and while I know shelties come and black and white they aren't the stereotypical sheltie colouring.

Aww, give the non-dog people a break. Not everyone knows every breed or colour variation. It was years before I knew BCs come in a colour other than black and white, and only because a friend had a tricolour. I only discovered Pomeranians come in such a variety of colours quite recently. If you don't ever see one and you have no interest in them, why would you know? Erik the Vallhund regularly gets called a sawn-off German Shepherd or a German Shepherd cross corgi or a mini husky. I do not really see the obsession with GSDs, but given how many people say it there must be something about him that people identify with GSDs. Mostly they know that's not what he is, but they say what he looks like to them. Kivi the Lapphund has had Keeshond, Husky, Malamute and crosses thereof. I wouldn't know what to call him as either if I'd seen one a few years ago. I usually ask "what breed is that?" rather than making a fool of myself by guessing, though. :laugh:

However, someone once asked me if my full-grown, very large Lapphund was related to my undersized tricolour, tailless Pembroke Corgi. That is crossing the line between ignorance and sheer idiocy.

Yep, I get these too. Hugo's also been called a wolf, which I thought was a bit ridiculous. :heart:

Onslow my large golden retreiver has been referred to as a mareema. My Dad calls him a horse :heart:

my pup is going to confuse people tremendously - she is an unusually coloured coolie - it will be interesting to see what people think she is when she grows up

P1000232.jpg

Consiering how wrong people get these common breeds, I guess its hardly surprising that I get so many variations! :heart:

My lovely red brindle Cardigan Welsh Corgi gets;

* Corgi cross (perfectly understandable if all you've ever see is a red and white Pembroke Welsh Corgi) and all the variations - royal dog, the queens dog, etc

* Staffy cross - again, I guess if the only brindle dog you've known are 'Staffy' variants, I can kinda understand

* Fox (well they are described as having a fox like tail in the breed standard)

* and my favourite, from a woman who's ill -favoured cross breed terrier was a 'Pure Bred Jack Russell' - to which I politely smiled, was that my girl was *obviously* a bassett hound cross. SHort, heavy set legs I can understand (where she thought the amazing upright ears came from I don't know!) but she insisted that she was right, and had been duped in some fashion about getting pure bred papers. I smiled politely and left her to it!

I've gotten quite good at reciting my little spiel, "She's a Cardigan Welsh corgi, There's 2 different breeds of Corgi, the Pembroke, like the Queen has, and the Cardigan, which is....."

I've had"

- homicidal

- evil

- airedale

- wolfhound

- irish wolfhound

- lakeland

- brown shnauzer

and my personal favourite from the Shire Council:

- irish setter.

I have irish terriers. :laugh:

Who called them homicidal and evil? :heart:

And you reminded me, our council called Ruby an Irish Setter to our neighbours when they were asking them if they minded if we got another dog. And yes, a red Schnauzer at Royal Shows all the time, how could I forget.

Edited by Lyndsay