Faulty Dna Test Maybe For Pra

Happyhealthydogs

Hi Guys

My first post but have been reading for a year or more.

Check this link:

http://dogbreeding.net.au/blindness-test-flawed-3/292

If this story is right - then it has big implications for purebred breeders. Especially those of us trying our hardest to do the right thing.

Maybe yuo have had similar experiences within your breed?

Value your thoughts.

HHP

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I am not up on this breed so have no opinion, other than....

Yes! We do need to be very careful about which DNA tests we accept as valid. All research (which would include the work this lab is doing) needs to be published and peer reviewed. The lab, uni's or other research groups often have much to gain financially. The only method to protect the public is for publication and peer review to take place. Without that, we are all at risk of potential serious errors or even worse fraud.

I agree with the science needed to match the real world. If a disease is not documented in a population of dogs, than it would not match if the test is showing a high carrier or affected rate. However it is possible for that to happen and this is where the science and peer review need to keep researching. One explanation is there is a another gene involved that is suppressing the disease gene, and yes it could be a gene that only turns on the disease gene in old age. For example they believe they have found a gene for adult onset deafens in some breeds, adult meaning around 4-6 years of age. However they are also looking at dogs that go deaf at older ages, could these dogs also have the same defective gene but have another mutation that delays the onset of deafness? There is much they do not know yet.

I believe there is also a test for labs for exercise induced hyperthermia??? and this test though likely is finding a gene that is involved, it is not predicting the incidence of affected dogs very well?? Maybe other genes are at play which affects the actual outcome? Can Lab breeders say more about this?

I have also heard of a DNA test being offered for a mutation in a general area, they have not found the actual gene. There is now a new DNA gene searching method and this method is not showing that general area mutation as an area of concern in affected dogs. There has also been more carriers identified than the real world number of affected dogs would predict.

We need to be very careful that the research is actually finished, published, reviewed and found to be accurate.

On the other hand, there is a DNA test for one disease in my breed and it was one of the best days in my life when I heard the news they had found the gene. This put a rapid end to dogs every having to suffer from this diseae again and gave the breeders wonderful control! We are making great strides in combating genetic disease and we are lucky to live in such a great time of discovery in this area.

I believe there is also a test for labs for exercise induced hyperthermia??? and this test though likely is finding a gene that is involved, it is not predicting the incidence of affected dogs very well?? Maybe other genes are at play which affects the actual outcome? Can Lab breeders say more about this?

Do u mean EIC ? I know it is a relatively new test. Some breeders have had their dogs tested, and others think its a waste of money and arent bothering to do it. It isn't compulsory.

I had the opportunity to have a test done on my young boy. I got a deal on coat colour test and the EIC test. To be honest, I only really had it done as his father turned out to be a "carrier" and as he is planned for the future I wanted to know. Thankfully he came back clear (yah)

But there does seem to be a fair few dogs that are being tested as being "carriers". Not sure how many are actually "affected" though. Dont think there is enough being tested to get an actual picture of what is going on.

Maybe in spite of what was posted about PRA, maybe those not chosing to do it are right and that it is a waste of money.

Labradors have been around a long time before EIC popped up..... so dont think its "that" detrimental. But time will tell.

I think hip and elbow scoring and PRA testing (as long as it is accurate :rolleyes: ) is much more of a priority as far as health testing.

Do u mean EIC ? I know it is a relatively new test. Some breeders have had their dogs tested, and others think its a waste of money and arent bothering to do it. It isn't compulsory.

I had the opportunity to have a test done on my young boy. I got a deal on coat colour test and the EIC test. To be honest, I only really had it done as his father turned out to be a "carrier" and as he is planned for the future I wanted to know. Thankfully he came back clear (yah)

But there does seem to be a fair few dogs that are being tested as being "carriers". Not sure how many are actually "affected" though. Dont think there is enough being tested to get an actual picture of what is going on.

Maybe in spite of what was posted about PRA, maybe those not chosing to do it are right and that it is a waste of money.

Labradors have been around a long time before EIC popped up..... so dont think its "that" detrimental. But time will tell.

I think hip and elbow scoring and PRA testing (as long as it is accurate :( ) is much more of a priority as far as health testing.

Yes EIC. I think there was some problems with dogs that were DNA affected not having any symptoms and dogs that were DNA normal or DNA carriers that did have symptoms. I think it was on DOL that I read about it. Can't remember for sure.

I agree with having to decide what tests are most important to do. I do hips and elbows and 3 DNA tests. It is about $1200.00 to health test one dog. But once you get to DNA clear by parentage, then things are easier. I am hoping we get at least 2 more DNA tests for my breed.

Edited by shortstep