Question About Vet Bill

tlc

Hi guys, just a quick question about a vet bill I just recieved. Just wondering what it means if the bill includes consumables? It is probly something extremely obvious that I am missing but I can't figure it out. I thought maybe meds but metacam injection and metrogyl tablets are itemised seperatley, as are the consult, the Anaesthesia and the procedure.

So any clues what consumables is at a cost of $7.30 it's not the money I am just curious as to what it is and am going to feel really stupid if it is something obvious! :whiteflag:

No sutures, no bandages, It was for Lacy she had ben really sick vomiting and not being able to go to the toilet so I took her in and the vet did a rectal examination on her and she had something stuck in her back passage so they decided to give her a GA and do an enema to see if they could clear it which they did thank god. But it was pretty cut and dried in and out. I guess it could have been swabs? Like I said just curious.

Is $85 a reasonable price for a anaesthesia?

and $65 for an enema?

They only charged me a short consult fee of $35

so the bill all up with the injecton and the tablets plus the consumables was $206.70

I guess prices may depend on the vet and where you live too.

It's been a long time since I had a vet bill over $100 and I got a shock to see the total. :whiteflag:

I'd say that's a pretty reasonable price.

Not sure then what the consumables would be - usually the things like needle and syringe is covered in what you pay for the drugs and the gloves etc they'd use I would have thought would be covered in the cost of the actual procedure.

I'd say that's a pretty reasonable price.

Not sure then what the consumables would be - usually the things like needle and syringe is covered in what you pay for the drugs and the gloves etc they'd use I would have thought would be covered in the cost of the actual procedure.

That's what I thought? Anyway it's no biggy just thought the good old DOL brain trust would give me some ideas :whiteflag:

I wouldnt bother ringing them for $7 they are good vets and are very good to me when I need them, they fit me in on a moments notice, they let me have an account, they do all the girls Delta testing for free and are just generally good vets.

Thanks for all the input.

The tubing and such used for the enema? I would assume it would be a pre sterilized thing that is chucked out at the end.

:confused: Sorry, I couldn't resist. (Not laughing at you by the way, moreso at our clinic :whiteflag: )

Not sure what other clinics use, but ours would be the same hose that the clinic bought when it opened, all those years ago!

From memory, the only item that comes up as "consumables" is elizabethan collars.

Great price too by the way. I think most clinics would charge at least $350.

The tubing and such used for the enema? I would assume it would be a pre sterilized thing that is chucked out at the end.

:confused: Sorry, I couldn't resist. (Not laughing at you by the way, moreso at our clinic :whiteflag: )

Not sure what other clinics use, but ours would be the same hose that the clinic bought when it opened, all those years ago!

From memory, the only item that comes up as "consumables" is elizabethan collars.

Great price too by the way. I think most clinics would charge at least $350.

Sorry I work in pharmaceuticals so am used to sterile equipment for everything and if not bought or make your own. I really don't know how vets do it. I would have thought as longs as you bill it to the client it would not matter.

Edited by Evolving

Sorry I work in pharmaceuticals so am used to sterile equipment for everything and if not bought or make your own. I really don't know how vets do it. I would have thought as longs as you bill it to the client it would not matter.

Oh no need to apologise. :whiteflag:

I was just laughing at our boss'. We're not even allowed to throw out used syringes!

If we opened a new sterile syringe for certain things (not injections obviously) we'd get shot!

Oh no need to apologise. :whiteflag:

I was just laughing at our boss'. We're not even allowed to throw out used syringes!

If we opened a new sterile syringe for certain things (not injections obviously) we'd get shot!

That's funny. The clinic we run used to be like that with the previous owner. Everything was washed and reused! Our other nurse is stoked we use a new one each time now cause she doesn't have to clean them anymore.

Consumables for an enema - could be tape/string used during the GA, gloves, swabs, cotton wool balls, KY jelly/lubricant, small plastic cup to put the same in, syringes or yeah, even disposable tubing.

That's a pretty cheap GA I might add, I'd be super happy with that price :whiteflag: