Pup Barking In The Morning

gemsan

Hi everyone. This is my first post though I have been reading for months

We have a beautiful six month old kelpie x that we adopted from a rescue shelter around eight weeks ago and my problem is that she barks constantly in the morning.

She does not bark at any other times ever, only when it is time to get up. I have read that getting up to her is reinforcing her behaviour but this is the time of day that we go for our walk. I don't mind usually but there are times I would like a sleep in and I am worried that the neighbours may not be so keen about an enforced alarm clock.

I always wait for a 30 second lapse in barking to go out to her.

Thanks in advance

Where does she spend the night normally?

One way would be to catch her out. Get up before she starts barking, quick game/toilet break then put her in her crate somewhere boring and quiet (maybe the laundry?, maybe the garage?) where she won't be over stimulated to bark and if she does bark may not be quite so intrusive, then you can leave her knowing she doesn't need a pee, doesn't need anything and you can wait her out. This could backfire if she then wakes up even earlier so you'd be the one to judge that this would work for her or not.

How long does she bark for in the morning and where is she when she does? about what time? what do you do when she barks? take her to the toilet, walk her, feed her or get up play with her? you may have gotten her into a bad pattern for attention or she may be letting you know if she needs to toilet.

That is deffinately your wake up call for something food, walk, play time.. try taking her for a short walk before bed or a longer afternoon walk/run that way she might be still sleepy and stay in bed longer or give her a bone in the morning for breakie if you feel the need to go back to bed and you know she barks for attention.

Edited by catherine.b

Is she barking to be let out to toilet? I actually encouraged my dog to do this. If I want a sleep in, i let her out to toilet and then put her out with a bone or kong.

Personally I think its a bit mean to make her wait too long for her morning walk, she is a young, energetic dog- I haven't had a proper sleep in (past 8.30am ) since we got her!

Thanks all. Jango sleeps on our enclosed verandah.

I think that she actually can see us in bed in the morning and just wants us up and about.

I understand about making them wait too long, I only meant that I would like to get up at seven on sundays instead of five thirty/six. (I have to go early during the week as my OH is a butcher and watches the kids while I walk)

As she is not barking at anything else at all I think that I might just accept my personal alarm clock (Just like having another newborn) Maybe it will get me super motivated to be up and organised every day :wave:

Thanks again

post-38680-1296790518.jpg

My girl wakes up and runs to the backyard to tell the world that she's awake and that everyone should wake up too!

This goes for 5 seconds, then runs inside again to check if anyone else is awake.

She is very good at keeping quiet when no one is awake yet. She knows she's not allow to wake anyone up.. Charlie (my other dog) told her off once as a puppy, and she doesn't bother him in the morning anymore. If she gets annoying, she gets put on the floor and is ignored. She gets plenty of cuddles and attention when we wake up though.

Edited by CW EW

My staffy does this too...not so bad during the week when I have to get up anyway but I feel your pain when it comes to the weekends!

I usually have a frozen kong or frozen meaty bone ready to give to her which usually will buy me another hour or so. Still means getting up to the barking though :wave:

Maybe you could change the routine a bit?

My Kelpie knows her routine, that we ALWAYS go for a walk in the morning, but not until everyone is ready. I like it this way as she keeps me from being a lazy bones :eek:

But if I want a sleep-in after a night shift i designate my hubby to take her!

Luckily Sally doesn't bark though......you might trying getting up earlier than her for a while and putting her inside and amused or treats on her mat to wait for you...to break that barking cycle?? :eek:

Good Luck!

Thanks all. Jango sleeps on our enclosed verandah.

I think that she actually can see us in bed in the morning and just wants us up and about.

I understand about making them wait too long, I only meant that I would like to get up at seven on sundays instead of five thirty/six. (I have to go early during the week as my OH is a butcher and watches the kids while I walk)

As she is not barking at anything else at all I think that I might just accept my personal alarm clock (Just like having another newborn) Maybe it will get me super motivated to be up and organised every day :thumbsup:

Thanks again

post-38680-1296790518.jpg

I am so happy you posted this :thumbsup: My 6 month old labrador does the exact same thing!! Its just in the morning and I know its too get attention but its a problem cause sometimes its 5.30 in the morning which is way too early.. other times its around 6.30-7am which dosent botther me cause i gotta get the kids up ready for the day/school.. I cant leave her barking as i dont want to upset the neighbours but if i get up and give her food she going to accociate food with barking then she might do it more!! ahh.. She also does it more if she hears us but she now does it sometimes even before any of us are up.My lab also lives outside in an undercover veranda which is closed in from rain/wind etc.. and she gets pleanty of walks so im stumped on what to do

Edited by chellz

Chellz- Could you muzzle her in the morning? only if she starts barking? that way the neighbours aren't disturbed (and neither are you!) and she learns she can't bark in the morning?

My personal alarm clock rips my doona off the bed when she wants to get up, but thank god its usually at reasonable hour (7.30am).

You could always just let the dog inside until you're ready to get up or make sure there is always access off the verandah? ;)

My guess is that the pups are barking for company or to be let out to toilet. If you don't want to stop the barking by giving the dog what it wants then I can't see how you'll avoid cheesing off the neighbours.

Pups don't have the bladders older dogs do. If its a toileting issue, I would be getting up to let them out of providing access off the verandah.

Chellz- Could you muzzle her in the morning? only if she starts barking? that way the neighbours aren't disturbed (and neither are you!) and she learns she can't bark in the morning?

A muzzle in which a dog cannot bark, is also one in which a dog cannot pant to cool itself, or drink ;) ;) I don't think muzzling a pup will teach it not to bark :( It may though just give it something else to be concerned about.

I would not recommend such a course of action .

You could always just let the dog inside until you're ready to get up or make sure there is always access off the verandah? ;)

My guess is that the pups are barking for company or to be let out to toilet. If you don't want to stop the barking by giving the dog what it wants then I can't see how you'll avoid cheesing off the neighbours.

Pups don't have the bladders older dogs do. If its a toileting issue, I would be getting up to let them out of providing access off the verandah.

Going on my situation which is simular to the original post i have tried to bring in her inside and cheeky ella knows how to open our hall door and she comes up to our bedroom (and thats after we give her breakfast) ;) If we do put something up against the door so she dosent come up she just whines..I know its just that she wants our attention which is fine but not at 5.30am :(

Edited by chellz

My personal alarm clock rips my doona off the bed when she wants to get up, but thank god its usually at reasonable hour (7.30am).

thanx aussielover.. they are cheeky arent they :( and very clever!! How was your trip? I bet you missed mindy liked crazy and gave her big hugs ;) and lots of walks ;) when you got back

Edited by chellz

thanx aussielover.. they are cheeky arent they :( and very clever!! How was your trip? I bet you missed mindy liked crazy and gave her big hugs ;) and lots of walks ;) when you got back

please don't muzzle your dog when you can't see her, this advice is very scary.

You allow her in but won't allow her into the bedroom ? so why not train her to lie on a mat outside your bedroom, you can use a baby gate while you train her. Train her to go to mat ...do it in the living room then extend to outside the bedroom. She is lonely, upset and wants company. As soon as she feels secure she will stop this behaviour. Put treats on her mat to encourage her to go to mat and to stay there, reward her with praise and treats while you are training her and then you can just praise her once she gets the idea. Teaching a dog to go to mat is easy and rewarding.

A muzzle in which a dog cannot bark, is also one in which a dog cannot pant to cool itself, or drink :confused::laugh: I don't think muzzling a pup will teach it not to bark :laugh: It may though just give it something else to be concerned about.

I would not recommend such a course of action .

Actually you can get muzzles where dogs can pant but not fully bark. Obviously you have to use your judgement, if its a really hot day don't use it, but seroiusly, not drinking for half an hour is not going to kill them in normal weather.

Its not like the muzzle with be on for more than an hour or so.

Personally i wouldn't use a muzzle at all, im just repeating a suggestion from a trainer at work. apparently she has used it successfully with a few pups with the same problem.

im just repeating a suggestion from a trainer at work. apparently she has used it successfully with a few pups with the same problem.

I have never heard of such a 'training' method. :confused:

not drinking for half an hour is not going to kill them in normal weather.

No, definitely not ...but a dog who may be excited/anxious , and who can not open wide to pant properly may over heat.

im just repeating a suggestion from a trainer at work. apparently she has used it successfully with a few pups with the same problem.

I have never heard of such a 'training' method. :confused:

It's not one I'd recommend. A young pup, socially isolated, barks for attention so you gag it. A barking collar would be less aversive - at least that only works when the pup barks.

Seriously, crate train these pup.s Get up, let them into the house, give a bone or a kong and go back to bed. If it carries on, ignore it. At least the neighbours won't have to listen to it.

Or better still, sleep the dog inside in its crate.

Gundogs and working dogs were bred to focus on people - isolate a people focussed pup outside and the consequences are hardly surprising. I fail to see why a pup should pay for simply wanting to be with its family.

Edited by poodlefan

I have never heard of such a 'training' method. :wave:

It's not one I'd recommend. A young pup, socially isolated, barks for attention so you gag it. A barking collar would be less aversive - at least that only works when the pup barks.

Seriously, crate train these pup.s Get up, let them into the house, give a bone or a kong and go back to bed. If it carries on, ignore it. At least the neighbours won't have to listen to it.

Gundogs and working dogs were bred to focus on people - isolate a people focussed pup outside and the consequences are hardly surprising. I fail to see why a pup should pay for simply wanting to be with its family.

I dont like the sound of a muzzle either but in saying that I am not the one to say its cruel or indecent

In no way is my dog isolated.. She is with me 24/7 through out the day and just sleep in a secure place ouside/undercover in a warm place. There is no reason a dog needs to be with you 24/7 otherwise it will make a dog anxious when you do need to go out. I agree a pup should be with its family :( most the time.. I dont mind her whining in the morning its the kids i dont want her to wake up especially on a school day.. like i said 6.30-7 is fine but not when its still dark outside.. i tried giving her food when bringing her inside but find she still whines.. Someone mentioned putting her on a mat with treats.. i might try that.. thanx

Edited by chellz

I have never heard of such a 'training' method. :)

I dont like the sound of a muzzle either but in saying that I am not the one to say its cruel or indecent

In no way is my dog isolated.. She is with me 24/7 through out the day and just sleep in a secure place ouside/undercover in a warm place. There is no reason a dog needs to be with you 24/7 otherwise it will make a dog anxious when you do need to go out. I agree a pup should be with its family :laugh: most the time.. I dont mind her whining in the morning its the kids i dont want her to wake up especially on a school day.. like i said 6.30-7 is fine but not when its still dark outside.. i tried giving her food when bringing her inside but find she still whines.. Someone mentioned putting her on a mat with treats.. i might try that.. thanx

How about giving her a frozen kong, pigs ear (although mine demolishes that in like 1 minute), or a bone? Something that takes them a while to get through?

I used to get up for mindy at 6am, toilet her and then put her back in the crate with a kong or bone which would give me another 40 mins or so.

She now sometimes still gets this as a treat but sits on her bed now, not in the crate (which she no longer fits in to)

Don't worry though, the need to be up early doesn't last that long, by the time they are 6 months they are usually happy for a more civilized getting up time! Its now 9.30 and my pup and i are still lazing around, we will go for a walk soon, but its not like she is desperate to go for one, which she used to be as a younger puppy.