Dog Door In Brick Wall

stonecutter

Hi all,

We're on the waiting list for a Japanese Spitz pup from Tim at Kouzoku - while we're waiting, we're starting to get our house dog-ready including access to the yard for toileting while we are at work.

For a number of reasons, we can't put a dog door in our laundry doors - the glass is toughened and cannot be cut, the screen door is Crimsafe and putting in a dog door voids the lifetime warranty. I've also looked at the Pigs in Mud door but our sliding door screens are Crimsafe and require a special custom locking system to lock in - and the sliding door isn't in an area that can be easily contained when we're not at home.

So... we're looking at putting a dog door in the brick wall of our laundry. There is exactly the right space next to the door and the laundry will house the crate for resting, sleeping (we will be crate training)

We're looking at 2 companies for supply of the dog door and tunnel between the brick wall, insulation and gyprock:

Pet Door Company

Pet Doors Aust

Anyone used either of these companies? Happy with the result?

We live in a new housing area and I've spoken to some brickies around who are happy to cut the whole in the brick wall for a case of beer :eek: Apparently it's a 5 minute job.

Cut a hole in the insulation and then line the insulation with some anticon for extra protection.

Then remove the grout and prise the tile off the wall where the door will go and it's pretty easy to use a plasterboard/gyprock saw to cut the hole in the wall.

Then fit the dog door.

Am I missing anything? Any tips or hints?

Thanks in advance :laugh: