First Day With My New Canon Eos 500d

sheena

Well I have got my very first SLR...a Canon EOS 500D & after working out how to put it together etc...managed to get a few shots before dark. These were taken on Automatic Sports mode...question is ..how do you focus on a moving object??

IMG_0020-Copy.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

When using manual shutter speed for moving objects, I realise that the available light has to match the shutter speed, but how do you determine the best shutter speed for the available light....trial & error :eek:

Well I have got my very first SLR...a Canon EOS 500D & after working out how to put it together etc...managed to get a few shots before dark. These were taken on Automatic Sports mode...question is ..how do you focus on a moving object??

IMG_0020-Copy.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

When using manual shutter speed for moving objects, I realise that the available light has to match the shutter speed, but how do you determine the best shutter speed for the available light....trial & error :laugh:

Focus on a moving object if it is moving towards you in a straightish line - choose the servo focus mode. (can't be in auto sports mode though).

Shutter speed - is a bit of trial and error I think. Don't forget you can also play with the ISO which will help compensate for the light that is available as well.

I've just started playing with my EOS and found that sitting and just taking shots on different settings (the same shot over and over and over) is really helping me start to judge what does and doesn't work.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Yep, play around with the shutter speed a bit. Pushing it up higher will capture the subject better. If you find that the lighting is not so great and you are having to push the shutter speed a lot, try pushing up the ISO number. The higher the ISO, the better it will shoot in low light. But the higher you push the ISO the more you might see 'noise' appear in your photographs. It is all a bit of trial and error.