Proofing Skills

So i was wondering how you go about proofing skills with a dog that is easily/highly distracted?

I need to proof a scent detection skill and an assistance skill (i am no where near that stage yet, but just wanted some ideas for when/if i get there). I need to perform these skills in a new environment with other dogs/people around for a course i am doing.

The dog i am working with is easily distracted by people/other dogs.. so i was wondering what the best ways are to overcome this?

I'm not saying this is the way to go but my Dally is EXTREMELY enthusiastic about sniffing and marking. What I did initially was to use that as a reward. So for example - in heel position - a few seconds focus, reinforce with food and then release to sniff and mark. I slowly built that up - he now competes in agility and obedience. Once we exit the ring he has a food reward and I then take him over to a tree so he can sniff and mark and scrape. Crazy dog :laugh:

ETA: With my pup, it is much easier to be the centre of her world because of her breed so I just make myself the most interesting thing around.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

IMO for most people it's about the foundation work you've done to get good focus and drive. You also have to introduce distractions gradually - the mistake a lot of people make is going from a low distraction environment like their home to somewhere with a super high level of distraction like obedience club or the dog park.

Play the "Give Me A Break" game from Control Unleashed. Release the dog to do what they like after a few moments of training. If they can only concentrate for 10 seconds, train for 5. If they can concentrate for a minute, train for 30 seconds. Then release and wait for the dog to come back to you. I think that's how that game goes. You should probably check, though!

After that it comes down to fluency.

IMO for most people it's about the foundation work you've done to get good focus and drive. You also have to introduce distractions gradually - the mistake a lot of people make is going from a low distraction environment like their home to somewhere with a super high level of distraction like obedience club or the dog park.

Totally agree. I like to get really creative at home, before I take it outside.

I also insist on 100% attention when I ask for it. My dogs are the type/breeding that rarely get distracted but I have spent a lot of time training dogs of different breeds/drives/upbringing lately. I do WHATEVER I need to (and insist the same of the owner), to keep a dog's attention while we are training. Sometimes this means acting like a total fool, sometimes it means very short sessions, sometimes it means training in the bathroom & sometimes it means using a whole fried chicken. Whatever it takes.

I am not a fan of letting a dog choose to do it's own thing. Too often, I see the owner spectating as the dog totally loses focus. If I cannot control the dog's attention/distraction, it loses the opportunity to earn rewards & is put away & given another chance in a less distracting environment to earn those rewards.