Dog Food Recommendations Please

I am looking for a natural, low fat, no chemicals, no preservatives, no colourings dry dog food. Casper at 9.5 years old has been diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy. My vet reckons we have 18 months - 3 years before he can no longer walk. I don't think we will make it to 3 years. My dogs have always been on IAMS and have done well on it but I think it's time to try something better.

There seem to be so many products out there that I feel overwhelmed trying to find the best food for them. He has also had severe pancreatitis in the past so I need a food that is low in fat, also to keep him lean so his joints don't have extra weight to carry. I would like it to have some extra supplements as well.

So, please dear DOLers, help me out.

Edited by White Shepherd mom

All dry dogfoods are preserved with something. If it isn't chemicals then it will be salt which I would think would not be what you would want.

So if you want to feed dry dogfood then it should be just a food that your dog likes and does well on. One of mine has gut problems but does well on Hills I/D or Sensitive Stomach but I know that Hills is not liked by many here. Personally I have never liked feeding Eukanuba after having problems with it years ago.

Other dogs of mine do well on Royal Canin, Black Hawk or Eagle Pack so it really depends on the dog and the amount of money you want to spend - the rest is just trialling to see what your dog does best on. :laugh:

Edited by STITCH

Thanks Stitch, at this stage in his life, money is not a consideration (don't tell my OH :rolleyes: ) I worry that I don't have the luxury of time in order to trial different brands.

Thanks persephone. I used to feed raw but after he got pancreatitis my vet suggested I cook mainly grains with low fat roo mince and vegies. He didn't seem to do that great on that (must be my cooking!). As per my vet's instructions, he is not allowed bones or dairy.

Yesterday I bought a small bag of Nutro Light, Roo Barf patties and a multi-vitamin for the immune system. Unless someone has a better idea I will give that a go. Perhaps I am "barking up the wrong tree" and looking for a miracle which isn't there.

Have you googled diet options for DM??

There is some interesting reading out there & many seem to recommend a Tofu style diet .

One of the other interesting things was they said if the dog is on certain heartworm meds to take them off due to the issues it can cause with this condition

Thanks all. I don't remember seeing Canidae at my Better Pets store, I will have a look at PetStock near home as well. I will look at Eagle Pack and Black Hawk as there seem to be some good DOL reviews.

I started Googling diets for DM dogs and ended up looking at exercises for them instead :laugh: (short attention span). I did see mention of tofu and soy based foods. What is in tofu that would be so good? Would I top up a premium kibble with tofu, veg and vitamins, etc?

I need to do more research, there is so much to wade through out there.

On another note, the vet recommended I get Casper to walk in shallow water as that would force him to raise his rear legs instead of drag them. We went to the beach yesterday and he was like a demon possessed. The boy has got plenty energy and he was running like a puppy. You wouldn't know there's anything wrong with him to look at him. I was so happy! We'll definitely be making that a routine!

Hi White Shepherd Mom

l am happy to send you a decent size sample of Black Hawk Holistic to try,

if you would like to send me an e-mail with your address l will post it to you this week, email me at [email protected]

Regards

Sherel

Thanks all. I don't remember seeing Canidae at my Better Pets store, I will have a look at PetStock near home as well. I will look at Eagle Pack and Black Hawk as there seem to be some good DOL reviews.

I started Googling diets for DM dogs and ended up looking at exercises for them instead :laugh: (short attention span). I did see mention of tofu and soy based foods. What is in tofu that would be so good? Would I top up a premium kibble with tofu, veg and vitamins, etc?

I need to do more research, there is so much to wade through out there.

On another note, the vet recommended I get Casper to walk in shallow water as that would force him to raise his rear legs instead of drag them. We went to the beach yesterday and he was like a demon possessed. The boy has got plenty energy and he was running like a puppy. You wouldn't know there's anything wrong with him to look at him. I was so happy! We'll definitely be making that a routine!