I'm Running Out Of Ideas On What To Offer!

I'm very strict with my dogs about eating - I don't have time for dordling or being fussy (mean mum I know!). So the food goes down for 10 mins and if its not gone it goes away and they wait until the next feed. My two chomp away and the food is ALWAYS gone in 10 mins.

But I know a trainer who did this same thing with a foster pug she had who was very fussy. He wouldn't eat what she gave him so she took it away and tried again the next feed. This went on for 10 days and the pug didn't eat a thing. She had taken him to the vet multiple times and said he was fine and to persist. So she kept going. On the 10th day she rocked up to the vet in tears and he sent her home and said 'he won't starve himself to death so stop freaking out'. The morning of the 11th day he ate a BIG bowl full of food. Never been fussy again.

So I would persist with your dog (after a vet check of course).

I'm very strict with my dogs about eating - I don't have time for dordling or being fussy (mean mum I know!). So the food goes down for 10 mins and if its not gone it goes away and they wait until the next feed. My two chomp away and the food is ALWAYS gone in 10 mins.

But I know a trainer who did this same thing with a foster pug she had who was very fussy. He wouldn't eat what she gave him so she took it away and tried again the next feed. This went on for 10 days and the pug didn't eat a thing. She had taken him to the vet multiple times and said he was fine and to persist. So she kept going. On the 10th day she rocked up to the vet in tears and he sent her home and said 'he won't starve himself to death so stop freaking out'. The morning of the 11th day he ate a BIG bowl full of food. Never been fussy again.

So I would persist with your dog (after a vet check of course).

Agreed.

... and you reckon you're strict :D mine get 3 minutes. 2 minutes for the gutsies and an extra minute for the slower eating boy.

One walk away and it's gone.

I like my dogs to treat every meal like it is their last. I like food focused dogs, makes for easy training and easier to control their weight.

I am never tempted by sad eyes.

Be tough, less variety and don't give in.

Have you tried Satin Balls, that way the dog gets a mixture of raw meat and some grain as well. Then once the dog gets into the habit of eating it you can graduallly reduce the grain component if you want to and eventually get back to a RMB diet. Is there any chance your raw diet is lacking something (some nurtrient) causing the dog to go for the kibble instead to fulfil the deficientcy.

Have you tried Satin Balls, that way the dog gets a mixture of raw meat and some grain as well. Then once the dog gets into the habit of eating it you can graduallly reduce the grain component if you want to and eventually get back to a RMB diet. Is there any chance your raw diet is lacking something (some nurtrient) causing the dog to go for the kibble instead to fulfil the deficientcy.

What are satin balls? This rings some faraway bell in my mind.....but I dont remember exactly what they are!

We had a neighbour in Sydney who was always cooking stuff for her fussy, obnoxious husband, unbeknown to us she was throwing all the leftovers over the fence to our dogs, some of it good, vegies etc; but then she decided to toss... cakes, pastries, fish & chips...fat and all. :rainbowbridge: Came home one day from a dog show to find our 6 year old labrador dead under the clothes line.

After that not one scrap of food was thrown over ever again. Sadly too late for poor Sher! :cry:

Satin balls are used to put weight on though, and if he looks like he is bulking up then he wont need them. A healthy dog will not starve itself.

Mine get their food put down, if they dont eat it all in a set time it gets taken away (unless they are having RMBs).