Ideas On Dogs Sports For My Pointer

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

So my Pointer is coming up to 12 months old, at the end of February and I'd like to start some kind of activity with him.

We haven't done any basic obedience, just training at home, my reason for this is that I personally find it very boring. So I'd prefer to do something apart from walking around in circles doing basic stuff but if you need to do that to get somewhere else, then I'm sure I can make myself do it.

Not sure what Pointers are good at? Can they do agility? Tracking?

We now live NOR so want to do something up this way, I've never lived NOR so have no idea what's on offer!

Edited by english.ivy

I'm surprised you purchased a working breed without investigating suitable activities for it or doing anything with it for 12 months.

You can try tracking, if you can find anyone that hunts birds I would tag along with them for some pointing. Competitive obedience, retrieval, agility are your ANKC type options.

*Ignore me I havnt slept properly in a few days

http://wgaa.blogspot.com/

there is a working gundog association of Australia. They might be able to advise you on some alternative training activities for your dog. I know they're vic based but they should know an alternate club or trainer near you

Edited by Nekhbet

I think you'll find that "Reliable Kennels, WA" are in Washington State USA :banghead:

A Pointer can try just about any dog sport! Agility, Obedience, Flyball, DWD, Tracking plus the dedicated Gundogs sports - Retrieving Trials & Pointer & Setter Field trials! I'm not in WA and have no idea what NOR means so can't tell you where to go for training though...

ahh, the old North of River, South of River divide!

If I had a gundog I'd love to do some hunting training with them (where they get to do their thing). Does your boy naturally point to things? In Vic there are kennels that actually do hunting training - I'm sure there must be something in Perth? I'd contact your breeder.

Guest english.ivy
I'm surprised you purchased a working breed without investigating suitable activities for it or doing anything with it for 12 months.

You can try tracking, if you can find anyone that hunts birds I would tag along with them for some pointing. Competitive obedience, retrieval, agility are your ANKC type options.

*Ignore me I havnt slept properly in a few days

http://wgaa.blogspot.com/

there is a working gundog association of Australia. They might be able to advise you on some alternative training activities for your dog. I know they're vic based but they should know an alternate club or trainer near you

I'm waiting for him to mature before I do any sports with him, which is why I'm asking now as he's nearly 12 months old. He's my third Pointer, so I'm not new to the breed, our other two Pointers were just family members and now I have an outgoing male Pointer I'd like to see what he can do :banghead:

My breeder is in NSW so won't be of any help. I'll ask in the WA thread!

He hasn't started pointing yet but he stares at birds, just without the point.

I'll check out tracking ..

the basics for a lot of things can be built in the under 12 month stage. Their brains are such sponges at 7 weeks + shame he didnt start anything. Pointing can come if you train him or put him with another dog that does.

http://www.northernsuburbsdogclub.org/ - train at Carine, there is a page on their site about agility training

http://www.trackwest.com.au/ - train tracking over the winter months in the Gnangara pine plantation, which is very NOR :laugh:

There was a pointer doing agility here, don't see it around much anymore.

I train at Northern Suburbs, you can train obedience, agility and they do dancing with dogs.

Sure he could do many things. I see a fair few doing agility here and doing it very well. The basics for agility would keep you busy till he is old enough to actually jump.

Better get cracking thou.

Yes he could have been out and about doing foundation work from a young age. Pointers can do anything, but like all dogs it needs a comitted owner willing to put in the time. Agility, Flyball, Tracking etc.

he will also have to start slowly building his stamina and body strength if you want him to start sports. His body will not be used to it so daily basics are going to be a must unless you want an injury. Low exercise pups are different from pups that grow up sporting/working.

As far as I am aware the club NOR requires you to pass a few levels of obedience before you start agility. :grouphug:

yes you have to have an assessment before your dog is allowed to start the 10 week beginner course :D Its basic things, all of it offlead. Your dog need to have recall and not run off while working next to distracting dogs and people etc.

Guest english.ivy
he will also have to start slowly building his stamina and body strength if you want him to start sports. His body will not be used to it so daily basics are going to be a must unless you want an injury. Low exercise pups are different from pups that grow up sporting/working.

Trying my best to not take this and your other replies in this thread the wrong way but I don't just keep Badger in the backyard. I've taken to training my dogs myself and his recall is very good, even while he is surrounded by other dogs. He goes to the beach and runs and plays every day. We have also started short jogs.

He's too much of a big dog to just leave in the yard, all I meant by my first post is that I didn't take him to a group training class. None of my dogs have ever been to one and I have never had a "naughty" dog issue.

If the handler is bored doing something with the dog, then the dog is going to feel the negativeness of his handler and play up/not learn anything. This is what I have found in the past.

check out Debbie Wheeler (of Martinis ranch) on youtube. her English Pointer 'Seven' is very inspiring to watch, as is she.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out :laugh:

We're probably going to start up with Trackwest, the season starts next month so we have plenty of time to extend out our jogging sessions.

I may even start my Belgian Shepherd up with Trackwest, I think she'd love it too. They are both very scent focused.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Trying my best to not take this and your other replies in this thread the wrong way but I don't just keep Badger in the backyard. I've taken to training my dogs myself and his recall is very good, even while he is surrounded by other dogs. He goes to the beach and runs and plays every day. We have also started short jogs.

He's too much of a big dog to just leave in the yard, all I meant by my first post is that I didn't take him to a group training class. None of my dogs have ever been to one and I have never had a "naughty" dog issue.

If the handler is bored doing something with the dog, then the dog is going to feel the negativeness of his handler and play up/not learn anything. This is what I have found in the past.

I never said you just kept him in the backyard. A dog that grows up doing specific exercises on a regular basis will have developed slightly differently to yours. Its body will be used to certain required movements that you will want your dog to do. Think of it as a person your age that has grown up doing gymnastics and now you starting it too. Her body will be used to the movements, muscle requirements etc whereas you will pull up sore after even a short time, that is until you too get used to the movements. All I meant is if you want to start doing agility/flyball or other very physical exercises start him slowly and on a regular basis.

Not all group classes are the same. But there are foundation work things that you do with the pups to ensure they go on and be OK when you throw them in the metaphorical deep end of dog sports or work.