Toplines On Puppies

Kaffy Magee

Just looking at some photos I took today of my 8 months old Bullmastiff pup. He has been bum high for a little while, maybe not as bad now but still has a bit of a dippy topline at the moment. Im fairly confident it will come good. Both parents have lovely toplines, as does his grandfather (double up) and both grandmothers and his topline was fine as a baby and as they say they should come back to what they were at 8 weeks. I know at this age pups can go through this stage but at what age would you expect a topline to start to firm up. Bad topline is one of my pet hates and when I look at this boy thats all I see, of course, lol. As I said Im pretty sure it will come good, just wondering when! I hate the growing stage :love:

Edited by Kaffy Magee

Good question really.

I have an almost 8mth Lab girl whose topline at 8 weeks was spectacular and now looks like a section of the big dipper... but she also is bum high and at that growing spurt age...

Her parents and grandparents had great toplines so I will interested to see what happens over the next 3 months..

I would have thougth that by 11 - 12 months what you see is what you get....

My toller boy also looked like the big dipper at 6 months of age, 7 months he was worse and looked very long in body, 8 months and some friends tried to get some stacked shots of him and boy they were bad and then in the space of a week, the same week he turned 9 months old I looked at him and thought things where starting to level up, he is still slightly bum high, but the difference between the front and back is getting better and his movement is :thumbsup: That was 2 weeks ago and for the last 2 weekends he has won Best Puppy in Group.

So hang in there :laugh:

My pup was really high in the rear end at 6 months but now at almost 8 months she is starting to level off again....slowly.... She had a lovely topline at 8 weeks so waiting for that to come back!

I dont like the growing stage either :banghead:

I had a young dog who went through several growth stages, his last was at 14 months of age which lasted about a month.

I'm not referring to you Kaff - but so many people are impatient and give up far too early IMO.

I had a young dog who went through several growth stages, his last was at 14 months of age which lasted about a month.

I'm not referring to you Kaff - but so many people are impatient and give up far too early IMO.

Yes it is very annoying when you send out a promising show pup for the new owner to pet home them at 6 months when not fully mature and in a development stage. Also not aimed at the OP :laugh:

Thanks guys, its such a bad age,I love them as babies and then as mature adults, just wish I could skip the in between,lol!. He'll be staying no matter what, I love this boy so much, and after nearly losing him late October we have formed a really really close bond.

Here are a couple of pics of the boy, apart from the top line atm Im happy with the rest of him ;)

Fingers crossed for all of you waiting for the change too :laugh:

post-4991-1296554465_thumb.jpg

post-4991-1296554661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kaffy Magee