Crates

Joan of Arc

Yeah that's them Pebbles. Bunnings claim to not sell them separately and had nothing similar in a firm spring in a small enough size.

We are limited in our choices in Darwin for stores..

How small were you after? I'll see what I can dig up ;)

Well not that small but bunnings only had huge ones. You know the Pen that the Whippets were in at the show??? It's for that - will show you on Saturday

Megz - these are about 2.1/2ins long. Some are of a heavier metal and I found them impossible to thread on the crates. Some are a bit lighter and threaded easier although I found that they tended to slide down when the crates were moved, hence I used the cable ties. If Itsmeg doesn't have any I can post some to you. Just it will be quicker for you locally.

Anyway let me know, ok? I have to rely on Bunnings down here too.

Thanks Pebbles ;) :laugh:

You may need to take pebbles up on her offer, I couldn't find anything suitable ;)

Alternatives to the springs I have used for joining panels flexibly are:

(a) fencing clips (you will need a special clip applying tool or a LOT of patience!!) which are available from your local stock and feed agent in various sizes.

(b) spring steel clips sold in electrical stores for cables and narrow conduits

and

(c ) cable ties.

The fencing clips are fast, and firm but do not withstand repeated folding/unfolding stress, great for a puppy pen you are going to leave in place for several weeks at a time.

The spring steel clips do withstand stress but are buggers for slipping in my experience, not enough to let the dogs out but enough to make the folded pen/crate/gate "untidy" if that make sense. Very handy though for locking panels to make baby gates.

The cable ties I have come to love as they make reconfiguration so easy - one snip and they are off! I am wary of puppies chewing them though....

The springs that come with the panels are soon mangled and useless in my house - I reconfigure so often!!! :laugh:

Edited to add a pic of the spring clips:

post-21294-1296545684_thumb.jpg

Edited by RuralPug