Crates

Joan of Arc

Posting this here because most of us use crates every week.

We have several crates that are only about 2 yrs old but they have small spring steel clips that act as hinges and hold the different panels together. These clips have come loose and we have lost some, after spending hours trying chase them I cant find them anywhere.

I have been to upholsterers and mattress makers who use very similar clips but nothing that big.

Was hoping someone here might know where to buy them or have an alternative.

i will try and post a photo of them....

We have several crates that are only about 2 yrs old but they have small spring steel clips that act as hinges and hold the different panels together. These clips have come loose and we have lost some, after spending hours trying chase them I cant find them anywhere.

I have been to upholsterers and mattress makers who use very similar clips but nothing that big.

hi there I had the same problem, I went down to the hardwarestore & got some small D shackles normaly found in the isle with clips & chains. I found them better :laugh:

hi there I had the same problem, I went down to the hardwarestore & got some small D shackles normaly found in the isle with clips & chains. I found them better :love:

Murve I think you are thinking of different clips than Mercedes was. I am also after some clips. The ones I am after look like they are made from flat metal and wrap around the wire panel to act as a hinge. I need some for some fence kits I have here. But I have not been able to find any yet.

Murve I think you are thinking of different clips than Mercedes was. I am also after some clips. The ones I am after look like they are made from flat metal and wrap around the wire panel to act as a hinge. I need some for some fence kits I have here. But I have not been able to find any yet.

Oh I know the ones now.

I am trying to find medium size firm springs that comes with the pens - apparently they only sell with the kits according to bunnings :thumbsup:

Do you mean the springs that come with the 'compost bins' that we are all using as puppy pens??

I had a couple of them but tried cutting them up to use on the bl**dy crates!!!!

Surely Bunnings would sell simple springs? Otherwise there will be a springs place nearby surely.... try somewhere like Blackwoods

Edited by mercedes

hi there I had the same problem, I went down to the hardwarestore & got some small D shackles normaly found in the isle with clips & chains. I found them better :laugh:

Exactly ....

I went to upholsterers and they told me they were like something that was used 100 yrs ago... figures if the crates come from OS>>>>>

Seems to me there's an avenue here for someone to set up a spare parts office :thumbsup:

Yeah that's them Pebbles. Bunnings claim to not sell them separately and had nothing similar in a firm spring in a small enough size.

We are limited in our choices in Darwin for stores..

How small were you after? I'll see what I can dig up :banghead:

Megz - these are about 2.1/2ins long. Some are of a heavier metal and I found them impossible to thread on the crates. Some are a bit lighter and threaded easier although I found that they tended to slide down when the crates were moved, hence I used the cable ties. If Itsmeg doesn't have any I can post some to you. Just it will be quicker for you locally.

Anyway let me know, ok? I have to rely on Bunnings down here too.

Yeah that's them Pebbles. Bunnings claim to not sell them separately and had nothing similar in a firm spring in a small enough size.

We are limited in our choices in Darwin for stores..

How small were you after? I'll see what I can dig up ;)

Well not that small but bunnings only had huge ones. You know the Pen that the Whippets were in at the show??? It's for that - will show you on Saturday

Megz - these are about 2.1/2ins long. Some are of a heavier metal and I found them impossible to thread on the crates. Some are a bit lighter and threaded easier although I found that they tended to slide down when the crates were moved, hence I used the cable ties. If Itsmeg doesn't have any I can post some to you. Just it will be quicker for you locally.

Anyway let me know, ok? I have to rely on Bunnings down here too.

Thanks Pebbles ;) :laugh:

Edited by -Megz-

I know the ones you are talking about they are called split hinges

or you may be able to find the coiled ones, but I have not seen them in the hardware store. I can check out Bunnings & Miter 10 tomorrow for you, we have both stores where I live