Fostering Greyhounds

kelpiekaye

Tried to post this topic in Breed forum but it wouldnt let me so here will have to do.

My partner and I are thinking of fostering a greyhound. We manage a dairy farm, our house section is not fenced. We have a large 6 bedroom old house.

The foster dog can be inside most of the time and exercised on a lead or long lead. Other animals in residence are a Fearless Cat, Kelpie, Daisy the cow and her now quite large adopted calf who thinks it a dog.

Would be interested in any advice from those of you that have fostered greyhounds.

PS I have fostered other breeds in the past, have worked in kennels and done voluteer work for SPCA in NZ so have a bit of expereince with dogs, just not with greyhounds.

I've owned a rescued greyhound for about 8 yrs and would not recommend fostering them if you don't have a fenced yard.

Also, not all greyhounds are cat-safe. :laugh: Lilly certainly isn't. :bottom:

You mention the greyhound would be inside "most of the time" which begs the question, where would s/he be if not inside?

Greyhounds doesn't mean there cat Killers there no different to any other breed ,they either adapt to cats or they don't.

The biggest issue with no fencing or a safe area for a grey is there not "big" walkers,Greys do zoomies in short spurts & then vege out.They don't get the same exercise onlead .

I have owned 8 Greys & thinks there one of the most special breeds around but just not for everyone.

Greys love the couch,they are home bodies but do enjoy there 2/10 min madness & ideally this area needs to be debris free as they will slice themselves open easily .

We & our neighbours live on securely fenced 1/4 acre blocks in suburbia. Man at the back is part of a greyhound racing group (who love their dogs).

So we have greyhounds, living retired lives, or coming and going, right next door. And they're truly wonderful dogs. Very much like what showdog's described.

All our yards have the greatest space in the back & with secure side fences. A little (!) 13 week old greyhound girl (from champion bloodlines) has come to live there, until she'll much later go into real training. She's having a wonderful life, comes over to play with our tibbie girls.

We've found it a joy living next door to well-cared for greyhounds. The secure fencing plays a big part in making this possible.

Greyhounds doesn't mean there cat Killers there no different to any other breed ,they either adapt to cats or they don't.

The biggest issue with no fencing or a safe area for a grey is there not "big" walkers,Greys do zoomies in short spurts & then vege out.They don't get the same exercise onlead .

I have owned 8 Greys & thinks there one of the most special breeds around but just not for everyone.

Greys love the couch,they are home bodies but do enjoy there 2/10 min madness & ideally this area needs to be debris free as they will slice themselves open easily .

Who said anything about greyhounds being "cat killers"??? :laugh:

What I said is that not all greyhounds are cat-safe...I have never tested whether Lilly would kill a cat because that would be irresponsible, stupid, dangerous and cruel, plus I'm sure many other things I won't go into.

Without a properly fenced yard, it may be impossible to have a greyhound on a temporary or more permanent basis. I know many groups also have conditions attached to adopting and fostering, which includes a securely-fenced yard and with some greyhounds, no other types of pet...other dogs being the exception but if a greyhound is put with a family with other small furries and displays undesirable behaviour, then it generally means the greyhound has to go somewhere without that type of pet in the mix. For everyone's safety. :laugh:

I've owned a rescued greyhound for about 8 yrs and would not recommend fostering them if you don't have a fenced yard.

Also, not all greyhounds are cat-safe. :laugh: Lilly certainly isn't. :laugh:

You mention the greyhound would be inside "most of the time" which begs the question, where would s/he be if not inside?

With me on farm doing stuff, inside when Im milking am and pm and at night or doing computer work.

What about a big paddock. We have 52 of them and the cows are only in one at any given time. We do have a fence on three sides of our house section( not Kelpie proof) but the front goes down a steep bank to a river.

I think not a good idea without a fenced area. Greyhounds aren't like working breeds (kelpies, border collies etc) that can be taught to obey commands or come when called; generally they have bugger all recall. If you were out in the yard with an off lead greyhound and it sees something of interest, it will be gone...you won't get it back. :laugh:

Who said anything about greyhounds being "cat killers"??? :laugh:

What I said is that not all greyhounds are cat-safe...

Which again goes with any breed not just Greyhounds.

I just don't see why when ever Greyhounds come up its "cat safe " issues

Perhaps a young dog isn't for you but an older dog/broody may be ok. Could you put up a temporary fence across the front (star pickets and ringlock) as greys aren't renowned for jumping.