Humanising Dogs

all creatures

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*snort* I was having dinner with friends one night and one of them said my dog had long eyelashes and was it OK if he put mascara on him :laugh:

:thumbsup:

I said - go for your life, buddy, but you can use your own chanel mascara on him...you're not using mine!

I bought a really cute pink coat with fluffy white collar for one of my dogs. I like it and bought it for me, not that I thought my dog would feel pretty wearing it. She needs coats in winter and I sort of think that if I have to look at the coat, put it on her, wash it when it's grubby then I can indulge myself with what type of coat I buy. If I say to her when I put it on - ohh my you look like Zsa Zsa Gabor, is that humanising my dog? I know she doesnt look like Zsa Zsa Gabor - she's a dog, but is that a bad thing?

:laugh::laugh: the bad thing is you said Zsa Zsa! You 'oldie' :laugh::thumbsup: shouldn't it be 'Paris' or someone? :laugh:

:laugh::laugh: the bad thing is you said Zsa Zsa! You 'oldie' :laugh::thumbsup: shouldn't it be 'Paris' or someone? :laugh:

Oh god no, Monah. Dont be silly. I'd have to dress my dog up to look like a coke snorting tramp before I could call her Paris Hilton

Has anybody read Rachael Treasure's views on Anthropomophism in her book "Wise Woman and Hot dogs"?(pg 21)

Her views are mostly from a farmers point of view. Some examples of what she says- "In my view, anthropomorphism stuffs up a lot of things................Its really created a society where farmers and their animal husbandry practices are completlely misunderstood by the masses. The dogs I see who are the worst behaved are the ones where the owner has projected human traits into them.

She goes on to say a lot more.

Just thought it was interesting that I should be reading this and the subject comes up in DOL forum.

Edited by kelpiekaye

darwin was anthropomorphic, I think many scientists are, and it's a good thing.

Darwin certainly was not anthropocentric. That is, he didn't see all life as centred on human values (but then science is value free). His work showed that humans evolved, same as all the other animals. He made it clear that's why he was so strong about how humans should treat animals reasonably. He personally pursued a legal case against a local farmer who treated an animal badly, beyond the reasonable. Most of the 'facts' in his snippet about Darwin & his attitude towards dogs are accurate.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_dog_did_Charles_Darwin_have

Finding similarities between humans & dogs....such as the fact that dogs' learning is the same process as early stage human's...is not anthropomorphic.

It's finding something in particular in common. Seems the things that humans & dogs have in common, can provide a close sense of companionship. And meet mutual needs, from pets to working dogs.

I havent' heard of it, I have worked on farms and in shearing sheds. I disagree. I think most farmers could learn a LOT from the 'other side'.. :banghead:

I don't agree or disagree. I think there are good farmers and bad farmers just as there are good and bad urban pet owners. There are a lot of people out there that have a lot to learn from the other side if there is "the other side" I have lived and owned dogs in cities and presently manage a dairy farm so which side would I be on? Its a interesting subject though. What ever works for the owner and if the end result in their animal is good, Im happy.

We anthropomorphise for a few reasons that I can see anyway

1) we cannot cope with that which is different, hence we put human qualities and parameters on it to self justify our own actions. Eg - adolescent out of control dog given up to pound 'we told him no, we smacked him on the bum when he didnt listen, we bought him everything he wanted and I fed him twice a day on VERY expensive food and he still wont listen or appreciate me. He's just a stupid dog'. That and most human beings are just damn bone idle. Again the self justification comes into it.

2) We're living in a delusional society that has to remove itself from nature. Dogs are animals. With big teeth. They eat raw meat, they piss on things, they dig, chew, bark, shit on your rug/porch/lawn, will invariably use you like a chew toy if you dont have a cup of concrete and will develop extremely 'annoying' behaviours if you dont treat them like a dog. But nature is too harsh a reality for us in our new off the plan homes, our 2 cars, out big screen tv, credit card, morteined and dettol'ed world. Dogs are not dog, they're 'Furchildren'. I hate that term ... they are a dog not a child in any form. We would rather spend squillions in rediculous toys then take our breeds ratting, rabbiting, hunting, tracking, running, heck even playing on the beach with the kids. We're sterilising society from the reality of nature and dogs are going too unless we can make the fit into being our 'best friend' or 'childs toy'. We forget we bring a completely different species into our alien, manufactured world and expect it to just cope, nay, thrive to our expectations.

3) attaching human like qualities to a creature makes the more endearing to us. We now feel like we're relating to that creature on a level we understand. Unfortunately that means the dog has to learn to understand what you're on about instead of us, the supposedly more intelligent species (:banghead:), because we barely understand them at all.

I do remember one bloke we had in puppy class. Now he was awesome. Came in with his puppy and of course everyone asked 'whats his name'

Dog.

A few people were in awe. One shrieked 'oh how could you call him that!'

Because he's a dog. My last dog was called Dog, my next dog will be called Dog, because thats what they are. He doesnt care what I call him as long as I feed him, walk him and treat him right.

That was a truely intelligent man.

We anthropomorphise for a few reasons that I can see anywayI do remember one bloke we had in puppy class. Now he was awesome. Came in with his puppy and of course everyone asked 'whats his name'

Dog.

Because he's a dog. My last dog was called Dog, my next dog will be called Dog, because thats what they are. He doesnt care what I call him as long as I feed him, walk him and treat him right.

Excellent! I met a man and his dog was called 'Please'

So - if, strictly speaking we cannot confidently say our dog is happy..

then what are we supposed to say when we perceive our dogs to be:

relaxed

fearful

aggressive

excited

playful

bored

etc?

or are these all common to humans and dogs?

I would just say exactly that. I'm not going to come out with scientific jargon when telling a little kid down the road that my dog is in a happy mood and would like her to throw the ball for him, the same as if I have a medical appointment and my Doctor makes the mistake of baffling me with medical jargon I'll tell him to speak english.

Are my dogs in a happy mood today? Probably not. It's stinking hot so they're probably grumpy. Do I know for sure they are grumpy? Nup but stinking hot weather makes me grumpy so I'm going to impose that emotion on them

We anthropomorphise for a few reasons that I can see anywayI do remember one bloke we had in puppy class. Now he was awesome. Came in with his puppy and of course everyone asked 'whats his name'

Dog.

Excellent! I met a man and his dog was called 'Please'

Only works with one dog though! :laugh:

I once had a bitch I took on as a 18 month old (stray) that I called "Girl". Because she responded to "Here Girl"!