Doggy Table Manners

silentchild

They're not allowed to stare at us eating.

How do you train them to not stare?!

We just tell them to lie down in a pretty mean voice and I guess it makes them go into avoidance so they look away. No doubt there are better ways to train it! :laugh:

:laugh:

I don't look at my two. They get bored quickly if they don't get no attention from me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Mum's eating.. the dogs sit.stare and get bits & pieces.

When I 'm eating... no one bothers me :laugh:

hamlet is a right PITA most times.. but I can sit alongside him eating something while on (his) couch, watching TV ..and he will not move/gaze or anything. I can have him with his head in my lap..and use his head as a table ..he just goes to sleep!!

James is normally outside for breakfast and dinner, but he doesn't care about the food when he is in. He gets outed during meals simply so he won't get up to mischief while we're eating.

Lunch, on the other hand. He gets bits of crust at the end of lunch so will normally lie down at your feet. Occasionally he'll try to sneak his head onto the plate but he's normally good.

And I share a piece of fruit with him most days for his afternoon tea :laugh: With other snacks he generally hangs around looking wistful for a little while but eventually gets the message.

Akira is not allowed to beg, but we let her sit under the table when we're eating. She knows she can't beg from us, however she will try with anyone else, so she is either put outside or crated when we have visitors. She gets no table scraps and is not allowed to lick the plates.

My parents don't mind the dogs sitting under the table. Carl sometimes goes into 'beg' (proven success :eyeroll: ) and Mischa and Cleo just jump up on seats for attention. I don't eat at the dinner table very often but when I do eat, my two know they aren't allowed near me or food until I finish and give them scraps. And event then they have to work for it!

One of ours sits under the table, right out the way, and there is only two of us, so it doesn't bother us. The other sits/lies on the carpet in the lounge which joins the dining area.

They don't beg, they just sit and watch [sometimes drool if it smells especially yummy to them]. They get to lick the plates once we are done.

They have to lie quietly on the floor while we eat, and as a reward they lick the plates/bowls. I will also save some chicken pieces for them if they're good. If they wanna go off somewhere else and entertain themselves that's all good. I don't care if they stare at me, I can't tell if they are anyway because we usually watch tv while we eat.

I have more trouble from the cat trying to swipe food off my plate if she's around! My dog is on her mat when we eat, she will get a chew of her own to eat while we eat some nights but not all nights. Like most dogs she will look for a sucker if we have visitors. My last dog knew he never got fed at the table from me but if my mum or FIL were around they got the starving eyes stare and it frequently worked! lol

For those of you that let your dogs lick your plates - do you ever tell your visitors that you do this?? I can't imagine any visitor would be too happy to enjoy a meal if they knew a dog was once licking it, regardless if it's been washed..

I use different bowls and plates for visitors :dancingelephant:

raz is a drooler if he stares at me too long i crate him, if we are at someones house at meals he is crated, but if he's not drooling and we are home alone he is fine left out of the crate long as he doesnt get too close to my plate, then its in the crate he goes. we have spoilt him by giving him treats when we finish our dinner which is why he drools now and expects food off us :dancingelephant: that is one habit i wish i hadnt started, i think im tougher than my OH

Because it is more convenient I feed Zedley before I start to cook my dinner. He goes and lies in his bed. When the plate is being removed to the dishwasher he comes into the kitchen in the hopes some goodies might hit his bowl, and they usually do :dancingelephant:

For those of you that let your dogs lick your plates - do you ever tell your visitors that you do this?? I can't imagine any visitor would be too happy to enjoy a meal if they knew a dog was once licking it, regardless if it's been washed..

My visitors let their dogs lick their plates too :dancingelephant:

It is extremely rare for me to 'entertain' and even rarer to have non-doggy people over for a meal. But, if they didn't ask I wouldn't tell. If they asked, I'd be honest. The dogs are healthy and regularly wormed, and the dishes are put through the dishwasher, even if they look clean after the doggy wash :happydance2:

Zero goes outside when we eat. While he won't touch my plate, he is still extremely opportunistic with other people's. He also sits and stares at their plates if they're on the table which i find extremely annoying.

Having people in my house who don't follow "the Zero rules" hasn't helped - while I've broken his habit with me, he waits until I'm gone and he'll try it on anyone. Annoys me to no end. He will constantly try it on with them and they often give in to him. Having him on a variable reward rate means it's going to be impossible to break until i move - then he will have strict rules. For now it's just easier to remove him from the situation.

Guest english.ivy

Badger lays on the floor and goes to sleep but Ivy stares and little drops of drool hit the carpet. Normally I will tell her to go lay down and she will but sometimes if I'm taking awhile to eat, she gets up and comes back to staring.

Though when I move house they will both be outside during meals.

I've accidentally? trained my dog to go in her crate if she wants what I'm eating.

Crate is at the end of the sofa, I sit on the other end of the sofa to eat my dinner (no dining table in house). Evil hound can actually sleep at the end of the sofa and ignore the fact that I'm eating.

But if I get the promite and toast out, she's in the crate - quick as. And I usually chop one crust of the toast up into little bits and as I eat, I give her a bit "high and at the back" - as far as I can reach anyway. So if I'm eating something she wants - in the crate she goes.

I generally don't let her lick the plates I'm eating from because she gets the wrong idea and tries to lick plates while I'm still eating... Don't want to encourage that thought. And I generally lick my own plates - no left overs here.

Occasionally I will put a plate I've used in dinner prep (eg the raw egg and cheese mix from carbonara making), in her dinner bowl and release her to lick that, because it makes washing it up later so much easier.

The main thing I do to try to reduce dog hair in food problems (and dropping boiling water all over her) is encourage her to stay out of the kitchen/food prep area, but I'm not as consistent as I should be about that.

Billie used to stay silently in the corner until we got up to start clearing the table. She doesn't share our dishes.

Now she sits near OH, rests her chin on something and quietly stares at him. He will almost always give in and hand her a tidbit which drives me insane. She doesn't bother me or guests...OH is such an easy mark she doesn't need to :mad