Toilet Trained Dog Suddenly Marking?

Hi All,

Our (just) 12mth old Mastiff x pup has suddenly started marking his territory in our house.

He's been toilet trained since about 4mths, and only started cocking his leg about 3mths ago. Then, out of the blue last week, we started finding little puddles of pee in odd spots around the house.

We are taking him for the chop in the next 4 weeks ... will this help solve the problem?

Obviously - we are trying to catch him in the act so we can do the "uh-uh!" but he's remarkably sneaky... :D So I am hoping that chop-chop will help :)

I am sure that the chop will cure him of his problem. One thing you'll need to do though is clean up where he has marked properly - in other words make sure the scent has gone or he'll keep going, toilet trained or not.

Where has he marked? I used Napisan and water for my furniture and rugs and white vinegar and water for everywhere else. No good using disinfectant and soapy water -when I look into housetraining problems that owners and foster carers are having, it is normally caused by them not removing the scent. Only natural to rush for the disinfectant and you can use that but AFTER the vinegar/water or Napisan/water mix.

In my experience desexing can help reduce marking, but if marking has become a habit, desexing won't necessarily eliminate it.

If I were in your situation, I would not give the dog free reign inside the house until he has learned not to mark. You don't want him developing a habit of marking inside. Even entire dogs are quite capable of learning not to mark inside, but you need to be consistent about not letting him mark inside - just like housetraining a puppy.

Yep, we have a special spray for after we clean up any spots, that removes the scent - he's not gone to the same spot twice.

We still haven't caught him inside, but did discipline him for marking on a chair on our patio - and since then nothing in the house - but we're restricting his "run" of the house and will persevere!

Thanks guys :-)