Grapes...

Clastic

OH just fed Pepper a grape, he says half of one.. I freaked.

I know grapes are toxic, so I'm very worried. I've taken a look online for info but the DOL community is always more informative. :(

I'll be keeping an eye on her and take her straight to the vet if I see any vomiting or diarrhoea, but ofcourse I don't want to see any of these symptoms.

I know it might depend on the dog, but does anyone know how many grapes would most likely start causing problems for dogs?

She will almost certainly be completely fine.

I have read case reports of dogs being poisoned by grape products (causes acute kidney failure), but in all cases it has been the dog eating a reasonably large quantity of concentrated grape product like raisins and grape must that caused the issue - not a single grape. :(

There is an individual susceptibility and the type of grape matters. There was a case report of a westie who died after eating 2 grapes, its littermate ate multiple grapes a day and was never ill.

The whole situation is unpredictable. The toxin is also stable to cooking and to drying so include raisins, sultanas etc in the off menu list, along with fruit cake.

Most dogs appear very tolerant.

There was a case report of a westie who died after eating 2 grapes, its littermate ate multiple grapes a day and was never ill.

Oh that's really interesting - could you please post a link or reference if you have the time? Ta

There was a case report of a westie who died after eating 2 grapes, its littermate ate multiple grapes a day and was never ill.

Oh that's really interesting - could you please post a link or reference if you have the time? Ta

Can't find my reference since I moved house it seems to have gome walkies- sorry. Was presented at BSAVA Congress ?2008, possibly 2007. They had an specific discussion on common dog poisonings.

I remember reading up on this a while back and as I understood it some dogs could face problems after eating just a few grapes or sultanas, but other dogs ate loads and there were no problems. The message I took was that some dogs have the intolerance and some don't, and those that do have it in varying severities.

But a grape or two I wouldn't worry. It would surely be very rare for it to have an effect.