Dogs Being Left In Hot Cars

Montage

I would go into the shop and insist the car owner was called over the PA and asked to immediately return to their vehicle. If the owner did not respond within a reasonable amount of time I would ask that the shop staff call the police.

Not just for dogs, but for kids and the elderly too - I saw a distressed looking elderly woman in a car in direct sun at the local supermarket last year. People are idiots.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go into the shop and insist the car owner was called over the PA and asked to immediately return to their vehicle. If the owner did not respond within a reasonable amount of time I would ask that the shop staff call the police.

Absolutely Agree here :(

Ditto. If I have a dog in the car it comes first regardless of whatever crops up.

I just had a good example of what was meant to be a quick trip to the small local IGA which, I've I'd taken my dog for the trip, would have caused problems.

- Parked and ran into someone I knew when I was getting my parking ticket and had a quick chat

- Got the few items I needed - usual brand was not in stock so had to look at alternatives

- Went to checkouts and 15 people in the line to be served.

- Paid then realised I had forgotten toilet paper which I needed so went back - only 5 people this time

- Leaving ran into another person and had a chat

- Back to the car and I had been away 32 mins - this was supposed to be a quick trip.

SMH says its 28 degrees here at the moment.

But I guess this scenario also depends on how you respond to the events. If my dog was in the car and I ran in to someone I knew I'd say I couldn't stop to talk because my dog was in the car and I needed to get back to him and would suggest giving them a call later. If there were 15 people waiting to be served I would leave my basket of goods, take my dog home and come back and get my shopping (unless of course it was the evening and there was no way the car could heat up). If I'd been gone that long and then realised I forgot something I wouldn't go back and get it without first checking on my dog and if it was something I could do without for another day I'd just leave it. There's no way I would leave my dog in the car for that long in 28 degrees, shade or not, no matter how much it inconvenienced me to leave what I was doing.

I used to work for the RSPCA in Perth. I was on reception one summer day, when a lady came in & said there was a dog locked in a car in the carpark. She had the rego, so I went on the PA and asked for the owners of the car to return to reception immediately. When they got there and I said there had been a complaint about a dog being locked in the car, they went off tap at me......absolutely nuts :( I pointed out where they were, and of all the places in the world to leave a dog in the car, did they think the RSPCA was a good place??? They were still screaming at me, saying where the hell were they supposed to put the dog as they couldn't take it in the shelter with them....I was quite happt to have the dog behind the desk with me,...they only had to ask.....

They stormed out.....

I just had a good example of what was meant to be a quick trip to the small local IGA which, I've I'd taken my dog for the trip, would have caused problems.

- Parked and ran into someone I knew when I was getting my parking ticket and had a quick chat

- Got the few items I needed - usual brand was not in stock so had to look at alternatives

- Went to checkouts and 15 people in the line to be served.

- Paid then realised I had forgotten toilet paper which I needed so went back - only 5 people this time

- Leaving ran into another person and had a chat

- Back to the car and I had been away 32 mins - this was supposed to be a quick trip.

Well given that we generally only take the dogs out when there are both of us, even if one of us got caught up with something, I'm sure that the other could go out and tend to the dogs. Of course one can never account for all unforeseen events and a giant meatball of catastrophic proportions could fall out of space and kill us both, thereby condemning our dogs to a sad and lingering death. In any case, 7pm in Canberra is usually not THAT hot and I am pretty comfortable our dogs can last for 5-10 minutes ... But to save time, I'll report myself to the RSPCA now... :thumbsup:

Really? Well, it's 6.30-ish now and it's 28 degrees in Canberra. Obviously, you live in a different Canberra to everyone else ... :wave:

I take my dogs home too usually if I need to go into a shop. Brocky came into a come of real estate agents with me the other day though as I had taken him out for a walk and wanted to check out the housing options. I just said 'Sorry it has got too hot to leave him in the car'. They all probably think I am a nutty dog woman but care factor of zero on that!

It is a pain in the arse taking them home as I don't live in the suburbs but have read too many stories to risk heat stroke with my kids.

I recently had one of my whippets with me and I had a couple of shops to go to. Was about 28 degrees outside.

The petrol station, Bursons Auto, and the aquarium. She came into each shop with me, even just to pay for petrol. Far too hot to leave her in the car for even the shortest time. The shopkeepers all loved her, and agreed " of course you can't leave her in the car, not today it's too hot"

If I had to take her home and come back into town it would have been an hour round trip, but that's what I'd do if I absolutely couldn't take her into a shop. Would never leave any of them in the car.

(Otherwise I could have dropped her into my work - vet clinic- while I ran my errands.

I have experienced the exact same circumstance. In this instance the vehicle was parked under the filtered shade of a gum tree, but the day was very hot with a northerly wind, so shade or no shade, the air in the car would have been quite warm. Also too, just like the OP, the dog in the car was panting but not stressfully so.

I notified the Bunnings staff and asked them to keep an eye on the dog and to even break into the vehicle in the event the owner didn't return soon (I had waited for about 5 minutes or so but was pressed by a commitment to move on). It could have been that the owner was literally only going to be in and out very quickly and if that were the case the dog, on this particular day, would have coped. But all the same I didn't like it. The staff member said he would look out for the dog. As I walked away I heard Bunnings announcing the vehicle's registration plate number and asking the owner to return to their car. They seemed to be taking it very seriously and I had no second doubts with leaving it in their hands to look after.

Edited by Erny

KTB if the dogs are only with you when both of you are iin the car, why doesn't someone just stay with the dogs?

Because it's seriously only five to ten minutes and if you knew the Florey carpark, you'd know that we can see them at all times. If it the shopping trip is likely to be any longer than that, then they get dropped home or one of us hops out of the car with the dogs and sits on a bench under a tree ... Given that what I'm referring to is a short side-trip along the way home, there's really no point going home and then coming back out again. Besides, OH and I enjoy hanging out together no matter how brief the duration :wave:

Anyone who knows us personally knows that we would never do anything that puts our dogs in harms way. We even go home early if there's a thunder storm because we worry about the dogs. :thumbsup: I'm not trying to say that people should leave their dogs in a hot car, I'm just trying to say that the fact that some of us do have our dogs alone in the car for a few minutes now and then in strictly controlled circumstances during summer evenings does not necessarily make us bad owners but if someone does want to come along and try to smash our car window in then Lay on, MacDuff.

I personally would never leave any living thing human or animal in a vehicle that was not in a position to help themselves in the event of heat stress or a problem. I would never risk my children nor my dogs under any circumstances. I was waiting in my car today and within a minute the car was too hot even with the windows open & parked in the shade so I turned the car on along with the air conditioner but a child or dog could not do this. Even 5 mintues would have been too long.

I thought it was illegal to leave children or animals unattended in a vehicle. I presume I am wrong about it being illegal to leave an animal unattended in a vehicle. I know alot of people think its ok for a quick stop to leave the dog for 5 or 10 minutes but the concerned bystander has no idea how long you will be.

It seems to be common practice for people to leave dogs in cars and I am annoyed and concerned everytime I see a dog left alone especially on a hot day. How am I to know they are only going to be 5 mintues which I hope that is all they will be. I have witnessed alot of people leave dogs in vehicles whilst they do the weekly food shopping which is a disgrace and cruel.

I think it should be illegal to prevent people that do think it is ok to leave a dog unattended in a vehicle for extended periods of time on hot days.

KTB if the dogs are only with you when both of you are iin the car, why doesn't someone just stay with the dogs?

Because it's seriously only five to ten minutes and if you knew the Florey carpark, you'd know that we can see them at all times. If it the shopping trip is likely to be any longer than that, then they get dropped home or one of us hops out of the car with the dogs and sits on a bench under a tree ... Given that what I'm referring to is a short side-trip along the way home, there's really no point going home and then coming back out again. Besides, OH and I enjoy hanging out together no matter how brief the duration :wave:

Anyone who knows us personally knows that we would never do anything that puts our dogs in harms way. We even go home early if there's a thunder storm because we worry about the dogs. :thumbsup: I'm not trying to say that people should leave their dogs in a hot car, I'm just trying to say that the fact that some of us do have our dogs alone in the car for a few minutes now and then in strictly controlled circumstances during summer evenings does not necessarily make us bad owners but if someone does want to come along and try to smash our car window in then Lay on, MacDuff.

You cannot control the time you're away from your car. You just can't. 'I'll only be a few minutes' doesn't work when there's 10 people ahead of you in the queue and the checkout operator also has to serve the smokers who come in, so instead of just 10 people there's 15, and then there's the one who has something that needs a price check and there goes another 5 minutes, and so on.

You cannot control the time you're away from your car. You just can't. 'I'll only be a few minutes' doesn't work when there's 10 people ahead of you in the queue and the checkout operator also has to serve the smokers who come in, so instead of just 10 people there's 15, and then there's the one who has something that needs a price check and there goes another 5 minutes, and so on.

There are two of us. Holy Dog. As mentioned above, barring some cataclysmic event that kills the two of us dead on the spot, one of us would always be able to duck away to see to the dogs. In any case, we can see our dogs - there is a glass door in Dominos. This is surbuban Canberra, not Sydney. I'm not even sure why I'm having this incredibly ridiculous discussion when absolutely nothing you say is going to stop me having my dogs wait the five minutes in the car in the evening on the occasional days while we pick up our pizza from Dominos 10 metres away ... Good grief. But look, it's fine - I'm sure everyone thinks that they're a better and more responsible dog owner than everyone else. :thumbsup:

Edited by koalathebear

There are two of us. Holy Dog. As mentioned above, barring some cataclysmic event that kills the two of us dead on the spot, one of us would always be able to duck away to see to the dogs. In any case, we can see our dogs - there is a glass door in Dominos. This is surbuban Canberra, not Sydney. I'm not even sure why I'm having this incredibly ridiculous discussion when absolutely nothing you say is going to stop me having my dogs wait the five minutes in the car in the evening on the occasional days while we pick up our pizza from Dominos 10 metres away ... Good grief. But look, it's fine - I'm sure everyone thinks that they're a better and more responsible dog owner than everyone else. :thumbsup:

Yes, don't we.

In any case, I have no interest in arguing because I actually don't think poor doggies should be left alone in hot cars as a general rule. If you remain aggrieved, then the animal cruelty number for Canberra is 6287 8111 and I am happy to provide you with an address for service should you elect to pursue a civil claim :thumbsup: In any case, let's compromise - I promise to never, EVER leave my dogs in your car unattended on a hot (or a cold) day.

Edited: because I actually don't feel like arguing ..

Edited by koalathebear

We had a lady (customer) injured in our workplace recently, she dropped a tile and sliced open her foot, whilst shopping.

The poor lady required ambulance treatment, she was very concerned about her dog who was in the car

and was willing to forgo medical treatment because of it.

The lovely greyhound was retrieved from her car and placed in a shady area in the nursery department with a bucket of

fresh water where she quite happily stayed for the next 40mins lavished with attention from our team :wave:

All while her poor distressed owner got her foot attended to.

This just goes to show that you can't judge how long you will be away from the car.

Also that big business can do the right thing :thumbsup:

This poor lady and her dog were driven home 20mins away by a team member.

efs

Edited by sebastion 2