Latent Aggression

This is a very sad situation.

I had a similar problem with a mare of mine (who I'd owned since broken in at 3 years old) she went from being a sweetie to dangerously agressive. I spent two years trying to "put her right" a long story which involved Vets, tests, herbs, animal behaviour experts etc. etc. Finally when she viciously attacked my daughter who was 12 at the time (the mare was now 13, I had been going to breed her but decided I couldn't because of this problem) I arranged for her to be PTS. I had no other choice really, sure I had made the decision that only I would handle her and did so but my daughter had gone into the paddock and was patting her, commenting on how improved her disposition was after a course of herbs when BANG...mare ran at her after she had begun walking away, picked her up, shook her and threw her to the ground, reared up and as I came running, waving my arms yelling and screaming at the mare she spun around, just not landing on my daughter as it appeared she would do and took off up the paddock.

I had given it my best shot.

This kind of thing happens with animals quite often and sometime we have no idea of why really. Kind of coins the phrase "She went mad and we shot her".

So sad Liz. But you gave it your best.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic