Disinfecting Wound And Aftercare Cream

giraffez

I'm interested to find out what ointment or cream do you apply on your dog if they have a wound on them. Say if they injured themselves, how do you disinfect and what can you apply to make it better?

I've heard about Paw paw cream but not sure whether this is workable. My biggest issue is licking the stuff off so must be safe to consume.

I'm building my medication cabinet for emergencies.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I use neotopic solution a lot. It is prescribed by a vet - and contains a local anaesthetic + antiseptic (I believe) as well as being soothing.

I use neotopic solution a lot. It is prescribed by a vet - and contains a local anaesthetic + antiseptic (I believe) as well as being soothing.

is this prescription medicine? If so, i'm not sure my vet will prescribe if there is nothing wrong with him and just for emergencies

I'm interested to find out what ointment or cream do you apply on your dog if they have a wound on them. Say if they injured themselves, how do you disinfect and what can you apply to make it better?

I've heard about Paw paw cream but not sure whether this is workable. My biggest issue is licking the stuff off so must be safe to consume.

I'm building my medication cabinet for emergencies.

Where is the wound?

Can you get a cone from the vet? They're only about $25 to purchase depending on the size you need... We have 2 or 3 floating around the house but they weren't the right size so had to go buy another recently :hug:

You want things that have a long shelf life.

I have :

• Calendula Tea (lasts for ages and you brew it on an "as needs" basis.
  • Paw Paw Ointment
  • Cetrigen Wound Spray (purple).
  • Betadine.
  • Saline Solution - in the vials for sterility reasons.
  • Some other stuff - looks like F10 wash. Got it from the Vet way back when my boy had a wound that needed attention and had it left over.

Edited by Erny

I was always told that dogs took good care of their wounds by licking them. Certainly, we have found this to be the case with our own dogs. In treating horses, I've found saline to be excellent really. I just make up my own saline - you can sterilise things perfectly well with hot water and soap - this is what is reccommended today for a newborn babies bottle. So, if you need to flush a wound, I'd use saline. I'd also use saline for regular cleaning of wounds when that is necessary. Saline is safe to use in deep wounds, unlike other topical ointments and sprays. I'd also suggest a fly repellent for applying to wounds (you can get specifc stuff for this, can't remember its name (Cetrigen??) - round here you'd try a landmark or elders outlet for that sort of stuff) Once, in a cow, there was maggots in a wound and the vet told me to spray them with Mortein! Personally, if a wound was too severe to be cared for by the dog naturally, I'd feel it was time to go to the vet. No matter what you spray or cover a wound in, if it is severe enough there is a good chance antibiotics would be required, and they are increasingly difficult to have on hand. Also, not sure if it good for dogs, a chemical which I used alot with horses is Lotagen, which is safe to be used in deep wounds, and helps to manage scarring which can be an issue with horses. It was an excellent treatment. Just be really careful of using harsh topical dressings in wounds which are more than skin deep. Some of those chemicals are too strong for tissues other than skin.

I'd be interested to know if others would agree that dogs take good care of minor wounds themselves (assuming they can reach it).

Betadine

Antihistamines (I have animal ones but you can use human)

I have both these on hand because of my dog's allergy issues and hotspots.

I dont bother with topical creams because they just lick it off, but Erny's special Calendula Tea works well to reduce inflamation.

Neocort/Neotopic is great for dermatitis but the cortisone in it will slow wound healing. It's not what you want to apply for the first few days of a wound.

Betadine wash is all you need to clean surface cuts with, leave it on for 30 seconds and it will disinfect all the germs, then rinse with saline solution.

Pure Aloe is good for wounds as it keeps it moist and helps the healing process.

More recently I've used Moogoo eczema balm as it's an anti-inflam wound healing without the cortisone. It's good for rub sores such as under bandages, or mild dermatitis between paws etc.

I have a jar of Ilium Dermapred which i got from the vets, its a thick green ointment that has cod liver oil in it, its magic stuff for healing wounds and fungal things, i even use it on myself when my fingers get a bit cracked it heals them up very fast.

no wound, just preparing my emergency list of stuff in case i need to use it.

With betadine, is it harmful if they licked it off? and Saline is it just salt and water or is it a special kind i need to get

Edited by giraffez

Saline is it just salt and water or is it a special kind i need to get

Saline is salt and water. However I only use the purchased (sterilised) stuff from the chemist if it is to flush out anything around the eyes (or for that matter other sensitive areas) after reading here about salt and water eye washes sometimes being too strong and causing damage to the cornea. The thing is, Giraffez ... if you have the stuff that is in the vials you can take them with you in your first aid kit if you go away and it is there ready for you to use if you need it. Handy if it's something you need fairly quickly and don't really want to wait for the kettle to boil and then for the mixture to cool down.

Edited by Erny

Betadine is good stuff, for people and for dogs - I've liked it ever since I put it on a deep nasty cat bite I got last year & it didn't get at all infected - and cat wounds are foul, they almost always turn nasty. Silvazine is good too.

Medical manuka honey is great as well. We used it on a poultice a goat with a rope embedded in its neck when I was volunteering at a clinic last year, did wonders. However, I don't think it would stay on wounds very long around here, it's too tasty. :)

I don't usually put anything on shallow non-infected wounds, though. If they don't need stitching, I'll wash them out & leave them to heal. With puncture wounds it's a bit different, I treat those or get them treated.

Edited by Staranais

I have a jar of Ilium Dermapred which i got from the vets, its a thick green ointment that has cod liver oil in it, its magic stuff for healing wounds and fungal things, i even use it on myself when my fingers get a bit cracked it heals them up very fast.

Can it be bought at a pet warehouse or chemist as well as the vets?

Saline for flushing wounds and betadine for topical application are probably all you need. Add Manuka honey if you wish and a fly repellant if required.

Ointments like Prednoderm and Neotopic / Neocort are useful for things like small abrasions or superficial pyoderma (hot spots) and other types of dermatitis but have no place in treating fresh or traumatic wounds.

If a wound needs more than flushing and Betadine, it needs to see a vet.