Family Day Care For My Dog?

PoppyDog

My OH and I have spent a LOT of time and money on securing our yard.

When younger Poppy got out a few times but hasn't for at least 8 months.

With the flooding disaster she got used to having us home all day, every day! Her idea of heaven!

On Friday I had to go to work, she went into the neighbours yard and chewed their little boys shoes! Lucky we have lovely neighbours! He works on a building site and brought us home more bricks to block up the gap she dug!

Today at 4.45pm my OH gets a call from the lady up the road...she has Poppy! I told my boss I had to go (lucky I have a lovely boss) and raced home to a lovely Mum and her 3 little girls who were doting over Poppy! Her idea of heaven!

So it got me thinking...maybe I should advertise on Gumtree for a stay at home mum who would be happy to have Poppy at home with her 1 or 2 days a week?

OH works shifts so between the two of us Poppy will only be home alone 3 days this week. It's never more than 4 days a week. But she really is an inside doggy and just LOVES to be with people...

WDYT???

It's your dog.

If you're not hurting it, then who else has a say in what you do with it.?

Exactly Mate! Exactly.

Lesson 1

Is this lesson 1? :D

You need to have good fences.

Personally I'd be getting a good fence.

I would be lost if the dogs weren't here when I get home. :)

Should of said...

We have secured the yard! Well and truly secured!

We rent so we cannot build a run.

I'd pick her up on my way home from work..

There is a doggy daycare about 35mins from us, maybe 20mins from our work.

I think I might try that first.

The stranger from a classified thing does worry me!

:D

The reality is how many years do you plan to do this option?? 1/2/3 ,what happens if in 6 months you have no one to baby sit & the dog wants it even more ???

It is a quick fix but wont solve your issues & for what it will cost to send dog to daycare you could make a portable run ,many people renting have portable dog runs set up .

It is very easy to build a secure run that can be taken up and moved with you, there are many modular type runs on the market, wack down some pavers and there you go.

I wouldn't be relying upon other people to care for my dog on a regular basis. Doesn't appeal to me at all.

There are so many good sized moveable runs around :D if you think she may dig... then pavers can be placed around under the framework..or netting...

I would prefer her enclosed in my own yard, if she were mine..... probably cheaper than daycare,as well!! :)

You may find a cheap unwanted bird aviary ,too.... they can be good runs for smaller dogs :rofl:

I would ask around and see if someone wants a dog during the day as well.

Not everyone can have a dog but they would love to have a dog once or twice a week. An elderly neighbour who cannot afford a dog may love the daily contact.

And not all strangers are a worry.......... you only have to see people helping total strangers in Qld to remind ourselves that 95% of the population are good and decent people.

You may make a new friend.

Go for it.

We rent as well. Along with our reo wire fence panels in the garden, we have two 1.8 metre triple dog runs: http://shop.vebopet.com.au/store/4-metre-t...-1-8m-tall.html

Simple for one person to put together, freestanding, takes only minutes to set up. Dogs are very secure. Can divide one run into multiple separate runs. Forms any shape you want.

We also take the panels away with us when visiting relatives up north. It safely separates our furkids from the resident furkid and gives them their own off leash area to relax.

At home it also makes a great temporary run in the garage (safely separated from anything that could harm them) for if we have to go out without them. Available in a variety of heights and quantity of panels.

We also have a wonderful friend on hand who will fursit overnight if required. A combination of the panels, run and fursitter gives us peace of mind that our kids will be there when we come home - dognapping and baiting are the stuff of my worst nightmares.

Check out the local dog obedience club or show club. They may have a list of dog enthusiastic sitters or you may meet someone with a similar breed who'd jump at the chance to spend time with yours.