Is Renting With 2 Dogs Harder Than Renting With 1?

PoppyDog

We've never applied for a rental with Poppy. We got our place and then applied to have a pet and were approved.

My question is for those who rent with dogs do you think being approved with 1 dog is easier than being approved with 2?

It's the main thing that is putting us off getting fur baby number 2...

WDYT? :)

It's hard enough to get a rental without pets but yes the more you have, generally the harder it is.

Most realestate places will give the house to someone without pets rather than someone with them.

If you have a pet resume and some good references, you might get lucky..

It's hard enough to get a rental without pets but yes the more you have, generally the harder it is.

Most realestate places will give the house to someone without pets rather than someone with them.

I have 2 cats and a dog and I have always gotten the rentals I have applied for, I am hoping to get dog number 2 middle of the year...

• Like 1

We rent out a property with one acre. We just made up a contract for the owner with two dogs, it states any damage done will be dealt with and they have six monthly property checks. if anything is seen, it will get repaired and paid for.....We found since we allowed our renters to have dogs we have had a better quality of renters :D We have found kids more of a problem and drunken husbands. The last tenants asked permission for a dog and i said only if the dog was a house dog and well mannered. they have been awesome. Lovely dogs and owners. They have been in our house for three years now. If they leave we will allow dogs again.

If you live somewhere rented now, why don't you ask for a reference letter from that property and from any neighbours, it might help. that is what they gave us and we checked it out.

Also give a plan of how you look after your dog and what you do with your dog. This is again what these people did and I was most impressed.

I think it helped that they were pro-active and i suppose we do like dogs too.....Good luck

Guest english.ivy

I didn't have much trouble but you do seem to only really get the older style houses. I still pay over $300 a week but the house could do with a lot of work.

It depends on how much work you want to put in to finding a rental who accepts dogs, one or two. I had to put in a lot of effort to find this place. LOTS of phone calls.

Also try the less popular real estate agents, meaning the independent ones.

Not necessarily true.

I secured a new rental last week - very nice house, one of the best streets in desirable suburb with a cat and a dog (a giant breed - not a SWF). Around 8 applications went forward to the owner for consideration.

If you show you are a responsible pet owner and agree to the standard pet clauses, you may be a preferred tenant as pet owning tenants tend to be seen as more likely to stay long term and, dependent on the neighbourhood, take very good care of a property. At least pets don't draw on the wall in crayon :D

Edited by Danois

No. The lease is the easy part.

I brought two dogs from Broken Hill to the North Coast four years ago.

Got a phone call at work within a week.

High-set house, large fenced yard.

Moved out to a 5 acre property a year later with three dogs.

I've just moved again, 4 bedroom brick, cavity walls, fenced yard and 4 dogs. (one bedroom each :rofl: )

The tenancy act clearly states: No reasonable request for a pet may be refused.

I don't think they'd allow elephants. :)

I am always up-front and openly state: "I've got dogs"

Then I do; registered breeder, 2 Australian champions, full Veterinary attention and 24/7 care. I also tell them I don't go off for long weekends and leave the dogs alone.

I didn't get my first choice this time because I was late paying the final weeks rent. :)

But I got another choice.

The problem with having dogs and renting has always been neighbours.

I won't go into details here.

I should add that the properties I've rented are always in better condition when I move out than before I moved in. :D

Not necessarily true.

I secured a new rental last week - very nice house, one of the best streets in desirable suburb with a cat and a dog (a giant breed - not a SWF). Around 8 applications went forward to the owner for consideration.

If you show you are a responsible pet owner and agree to the standard pet clauses, you may be a preferred tenant as pet owning tenants tend to be seen as more likely to stay long term and, dependent on the neighbourhood, take very good care of a property. At least pets don't draw on the wall in crayon :D

Yes we were told the agency we rent through prefer to take people with animals to people with kids, they say it causes less damage usually.

The tenancy act clearly states: No reasonable request for a pet may be refused.

(sniped)

Where does it say this??

A rental property is a person's private property and there is no legislation that I know of that dictates to an individual that they have to allow a tenant to have a pet.

Are you sure you're not confused with bylaws in Strata? Even in those circumstances, the owner has the first say re pets or no pets.

Perhaps you could ensure your current dog's safety and security first? I'd hate to think of your first dog teaching a newcomer how to escape the yard. :)

In relation to your question, I have three dogs. I got both properties I applied for here but could obviously only accept one. :D

When I applied for rentals with my ex, we got all four we applied for...and in hindsight, chose the worst one of the four...

Oh god yes. I think it depends on the area too. I had no trouble finding a place in Templestowe but am finding it quite hard to find a place in Maribyrnong (or surrounds) with my dog. I have a JRT x (7 yrs, housetrained), I work in the animal industry (team leader in grooming salon at large store) and am hopefully still getting a pup in 10 or so weeks.... but I've been looking for a place for a few weeks now and have been knocked back every time when it comes to the dogs. The share house I'm temporarily moving to is a 'maybe one dog' situation. :laugh:

I'm getting quite frantic about it. I'm willing to pay $300p/w and it'll just be me living there as my last bunch of housemates have scared me and I don't want to leave my baby (or future babies) alone with them.

I feel like I'm constantly going to throw up just thinking about it :thumbsup:

Best of luck.

edit: I think it might be my age? I'm 25. But my current landlord LOVES me and is going to give me a glowing reference, I'm responsible, quiet, pay rent on time etc. I just want a house!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Koemi

Lots of variables in the answer.

In a high rental demand market, pet owners can lose out. The more dogs you have the more difficult it may be.

Its always going to be harder in the larger cities but references, an obedience trained and regularly groomed dog may help. Its usually easier with smaller dogs too.

Don't always blame the fact you have dogs for not getting a place either.

Before they even consider the pets they consider you as an applicant and they like to see sufficient income, steady employment and also good length at current place - it all says responsible person.

When I was renting I never had a problem getting places with my animals. The key is to be honest, and it really does depend on the landlord and I also developed a really good relationsip with my property managers so often they would recommend me to landlords because they knew I looked after the properties so w IIell. So my suggestions would be similar to what most others have said (pet resume, etc ). But I would also think about whether you really want to get a new dog before you move or do you want to settle yourselves and current fur family in before a new arrival? In which case I would be speaking with the property managers and letting them know that this is something you are considering so it can be taken into account. Now that I am a property owner I would certainly consider pet owners before people with young children (less damage! Plus I can empathise), but that's where it really does come down to individual preferences of the landlord.

It really is the quality of the tenant that counts, so multiple references showing a long standing pattern of responsibility is what will get you a lease above another applicant, including having a steady job, having long leases in the past etc. We have rented with dogs and always left the house in better condition than we found it, we always pay special attention to the yard and garden. Our tenants (they were selling their house, and had no rental history) on the other hand destroyed our house, and the dog was apparantly the best behaved member of the family. The lesson that we learned was to go for a more experienced tenant with a few years of relevent refererences at least, in the case of dog owners like us, a few references mentioning the dogs would be what I'd look for.