Breed Suggestion

kiesha09

I have two dogs already and am not getting another for a while as I don't really have time for 3 dogs at this stage. But I go round and round and round in my head about what breed to get next and I can't work it out. I want to make a decision though because it consumes my mind alot.

So my criteria is:

- Medium to large breed

- Not excessive moulters (ie no labs or GR), 2 coat drops a year or non-shedding

- Excercise requirements of 40mins - 60mins per day, but won't bounce off walls if a day was missed

- Willing to please (probably not independent breeds)

- Easy to train

- Not hyperactive, has off switch

- Able to cope alone for 8 hours per day while at work

- Inside dog when home

- Some form of training each day

- I enjoy walks at the beach and hiking so I need a dog versatile enough to chill out and home but be willing to get up and go when we're doing things.

Ask any additional questions you would like.

Deep down I really want an Aussie. But I only have a small back yard and not sure of the exercise requirements and not sure of the shedding. I'm sure the shedding wouldn't be an issue but I currently have non-shedding dogs.

I don't want a dog that ultimately ends up unhappy because I can't provide all it needs.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussies are adaptable and not all of them have high exercise requirements. Dusty doesn't need hours of exercise or mental stimulation as long as she's with me when I'm home. My 3 amuse themselves in a non-destructive manner while were at work all day.

Befoe we moved we had 2 in a normal backyard, they were absolutely fine. And I know other Aussie owners who don't have tons of space but have happy dogs.

The Aussies I've met vary quite a bit in activity levels. My girl is quite high energy, she was not exactly the shrinking violet of the litter, but I have also met some Aussies who are extremely active and drivey, and some who are quiet and almost lazy! She's fine in our small backyard. She's content being by herself (well, with our other dog) but while our boy sleeps during the day, Ava tends to potter around, chase butterflies, lie beside him chewing feathers or sticks... she is a bit of a busy body. I would love to have a bigger backyard for her but she copes and doesn't get into too much mischief.

I'm sure that you could get a quieter pup from a litter if you really wanted an Aussie and that would be fine.

I haven't found her shedding too bad yet, she is only 13 months old though. Our other dog has a GSD-like coat and he loses a lot more fur than her.

Koolies are a breed that seem similar to Aussies in many ways and you can get the short coat if that's what you would prefer.

Oh shedding on an Aussie is variable. Benson is neutered so he doesn't drop coat, we just find fuzzy bits here and there around the house. I would rather he did drop coat because he gets itchy skin from dead undercoat that needs to be stripped.

Dusty does a twice yearly drop that is spectacular in that she loses 10 times more than she ever owned. Those drops last a couple of weeks and are best dealt with by a good vac and a few hydrobaths. The rest of the time she doesn't lose much. She is so, so worth it though.

Isaak is yet to lose coat, his is currently like a big fat fluffy bear, so I'll update you when he does.

Poodlefan one of my Maltese x's is crossed with a minature poodle and has many more poodle traits that maltese traits. I love her and think she is the BEST dog in the world but want something bigger. A standard poodle is the second option after an Aussie.

The thing that sways me away from the poodle is the grooming costs (trust me don't let me any where near the clippers!) and all the grooming to get the burrs and knots out. Plus I am SO sick of being told my dog is a pansy :)

Poodlefan one of my Maltese x's is crossed with a minature poodle and has many more poodle traits that maltese traits. I love her and think she is the BEST dog in the world but want something bigger. A standard poodle is the second option after an Aussie.

The thing that sways me away from the poodle is the grooming costs (trust me don't let me any where near the clippers!) and all the grooming to get the burrs and knots out. Plus I am SO sick of being told my dog is a pansy :)

A Standard Poodle can be a VERY tall dog and a lot of groomers won't groom them. I can think of easier options if grooming is a concern.

I don't give a toss what other people call my dogs. If they think poodles are girly dogs its their loss.

Consider how your existing dogs will deal with a new puppy far larger than they are.. you certainly won't be able leave them together unsupervised for months.

If grooming is an issue, go for a smooth coated dog. Long coated dogs get burrs and knots just as easily as non-shedding ones. They take longer to dry too!

My Aussie is in a rather small suburban backyard and copes fine. Admittedly I'm home most of the time, but when we go out for the day and can't take her she copes fine on her own. No holes dug, nothing torn to shreds etc.

She's always been a calm dog when inside, and last week with all the rain in Melbourne, skin kids home on holidays and not wanting to get wet, and my OH working long hours, she only got one walk. No bouncing off walls, she was content to lie on the couch/floor/bed all day. She did make up for it when we went to the park though! No lying still there :)

She does shed a bit more than the average Aussie I think, but after her last coat drop, has barely shed at all.

My Aussies have always been with my elderly Lhasa. She is tiny and very fragile (and about to go to the bridge) but I have never seperated her from the big boisterous puppies and she has never been hurt.

Even with 3 full grown Aussies, she was absolutely fine and in no danger.

I know of multiple groomers that will do standards so that isn't an issue. But from my experience and what I have read poodles still have higher maintenance coats than say an Aussie. I know my old BC was not groomed as much as mums poodle but didn't need to be.

Poodles aren't off the list though.

I do prefer long haired dogs though ie over a short haired coolie. But am open to short haired options too.

I'm not too concerned about my other dogs - this new dog could come about in their lifetime or after I'm not sure. But either way I will take the necessary steps to manage those relationships and be sure they aren't hurt or scared by a puppy.

I have thought about whippets because they are beautiful dogs. But I would like to do lots of off lead walking (obviously when trained if trustworthy) ie hiking and the like so not sure if they are suitable. How do they go on farms etc. with bunny's running around?

I'm not too concerned about my other dogs - this new dog could come about in their lifetime or after I'm not sure. But either way I will take the necessary steps to manage those relationships and be sure they aren't hurt or scared by a puppy.

I have thought about whippets because they are beautiful dogs. But I would like to do lots of off lead walking (obviously when trained if trustworthy) ie hiking and the like so not sure if they are suitable. How do they go on farms etc. with bunny's running around?

Mostly they chase.. I'd not guarantee a recall with live prey running away but they can be trained for recall in most other circumstances.

I walk my boy offlead in winter but I leash him up if I see prey. However because they are soo fast they tend to pull up pretty quickly - they are sprinters, not distance chasers.

Its roads that you need to watch out for.. they're so fast and cover so much ground in no time at all.

Personally I think a good Miniature Poodle would tick all the boxes in a smaller package. They'd walk your legs off given half a chance.

I agree, Poodlefan, although I would opt for a Standard! Keisha - my 2 boys are kept in a fairly short lamb or "sporting" clips which is relatively easy to maintain. Standard Poodles can be active dogs or couch potatoes, depending on your mood - they LOVE to be with you and they are intelligent and easy to train. (Not that I'm at all biased :) ) As for the "Pansy" comments a handsome, well-muscled Standard Poodle male is the LEAST "Pansy" thing you've ever seen - take a look at this boy, Myrana Gauloise (Beauregard)

Beau6.jpg

Your list pretty well describes an Aussie or a Border Collie. Both come in a variety of activity levels. Most are happy to be exercised then be lounge lizards for the rest of the day. As puppies they are pretty active compared to other breeds but when trained they mature into very easy to live with breeds.

They should shed twice a year and when they do there is a fair bit of hair but in between they are low maintenance long coats. Most bitches have a lot less coat than the males so if you get a girl that would reduce the coat care but the males are easier to train.

Aussies are a bit bigger, Borders are a bit smarter. Other than that not a huge difference. These observations come from many friends who have owned and trained both breeds.

The amount an Aussie sheds seems to vary! I have three half sisters here and one sheds like there's no tomorrow but the other two don't she nearly as much. The one who sheds the most has a softer, thicker coat than her sisters.

A more full on, active Aussie I doubt would cope with the lifestyle but I think a more chilled out individual would be ok, especially if they had a friend or two. Holly would be fine with the situation you have described as long as she got a walk most days and you spent time playing and training.

what about a standard schnauzer, they dont shed and you dont HAVE to pay to have them groomed you can actually strip thier coats by hand. It doesnt take as long as people think, you can do a bit each night for a week while they are sitting on your lap.