Whelping Boxes

murraydebbie

Are u guys asking me for photo ??if so ill do my best to put on up

cheers

I use mine for cocker spaniels ,but it would work for any breed i think especially if one used heavy duty shade cloth maybe triple it mine is doubled ,& the weight of the bitch creates a slight dip

Edited by Cockerlover

Its says..

Our whelping box is 30 inches square and has a trampoline on top of the pig rail that deflects if the bitch should lie on a pup allowing the pup to squeal for attention, it is vital that the pups do not get chilled.

As the shade cloth forms a dip from the mothers weight this would cause the puppies to roll into the middle and not get away from the heat source.

At the same time if she did lay on a pup it would be able to get air through the shade cloth, but could already have permanent damage due to the mothers weight.

I don't see the benefit. :)

What a lovely person Dave from dabews miniature bull terriers is, he has sent me some details on this interesting whelping box design. :D

Dave even invited me around to view his whelping box, I would love to take him up on the offer, but is in QLD thou.

The trampoline is a timber frame that sits on the pig rail covered with the type of bait netting that fishermen use, the object of the exercise is to stretch the netting very tight so that when the bitch lays down her weight defects the netting and allows the puppies to gravitate towards her nipples, the netting is stretched by plaited builders line on the underside of the trampoline, one line going east and west the other north and south, it essential that the netting is kept very tight otherwise the bitch will be sliding down on top of the puppies

I have used a trampoline on top of the pig rail for almost 50 years, a squashed puppy is a rarity, if the bitch lays on a puppy the netting stretches and allows the puppy to breath and squeal, hopefully the alerted owner will rescue the pup before there is a fatality.

It is essential that the whelping box is kept as small as possible, the bigger the trampoline the more difficult it is to keep the netting tight.

After making a trampoline, set it up in your whelping box, cover it with an old piece of blanket and let the bitch sleep on it to stretch the netting, then tighten, repeat two or three times until there is very little stretch left.

Dave said he will also try and find some photographs

Edited by SwaY

What a lovely person Dave from dabews miniature bull terriers is, he has sent me some details on this interesting whelping box design. :D

Dave even invited me around to view his whelping box, I would love to take him up on the offer, but is in QLD thou.

The trampoline is a timber frame that sits on the pig rail covered with the type of bait netting that fishermen use, the object of the exercise is to stretch the netting very tight so that when the bitch lays down her weight defects the netting and allows the puppies to gravitate towards her nipples, the netting is stretched by plaited builders line on the underside of the trampoline, one line going east and west the other north and south, it essential that the netting is kept very tight otherwise the bitch will be sliding down on top of the puppies

I have used a trampoline on top of the pig rail for almost 50 years, a squashed puppy is a rarity, if the bitch lays on a puppy the netting stretches and allows the puppy to breath and squeal, hopefully the alerted owner will rescue the pup before there is a fatality.

It is essential that the whelping box is kept as small as possible, the bigger the trampoline the more difficult it is to keep the netting tight.

After making a trampoline, set it up in your whelping box, cover it with an old piece of blanket and let the bitch sleep on it to stretch the netting, then tighten, repeat two or three times until there is very little stretch left.

Dave said he will also try and find some photographs

Thank you, we shall see what we can do to make our own, now that we have a better idea of how it works. Doesn't sound to difficult to make, just more precission with size and stretch.