Importing Frozen Semen

Rebanne

• 4 months later...

The cane. It holds 12 straws or 3 to 6 vials depending on the size of the vial. Google tells me vial = pellet. Each pellet is one breeding unit. Stud cattle sites very helpful, gave me key words to refine my search :confused:

Hi Rebanne,

Just interested in this topic regarding the different units and I am a little confused.

If someone brought in 15 vials, how many straws would this equate to approx?

Thanks

Rottsup

Have no idea really but I assume each straw is a breeding unit as each vial is one, so 15 vials = 15 straws?

I am still waiting for the FS this thread was about. It's been a very long process, still working on things :crossfingers:

In the case of both vial and straw. One item isn't always a breeding unit. In the years I've been collecting, depending on the male used, it may take more material to constitute a breeding unit. I have had dogs with lower sperm counts need two vials chockers full of pellets for a viable breeding unit, and some terriers way back in the dark ages, that required four straws to be considered a breeding unit. This is what makes this import stuff very tricky.

When sourcing a male that has been frozen, be sure to ask how many containers (straws or vials) of that collection, are considered a breeding unit. This will help down the track during transport.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get sperm from Spain. It's ready to go, but the paperwork for import permits has me scratching my head a bit. Am more than happy to hand this one over to someone with a clearer brain....still looking for suggestions of transport/broker I could use. I'm hoping to bring in four breeding units (8 vials) from the one male.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get sperm from Spain. It's ready to go, but the paperwork for import permits has me scratching my head a bit. Am more than happy to hand this one over to someone with a clearer brain....still looking for suggestions of transport/broker I could use. I'm hoping to bring in four breeding units (8 vials) from the one male.

Cryo Genes helped me import semen from Hungary and then later Italy a few years ago.

At the time, Hungary was a logistical nightmare and Cryo Genes were very good.

In the case of both vial and straw. One item isn't always a breeding unit. In the years I've been collecting, depending on the male used, it may take more material to constitute a breeding unit. I have had dogs with lower sperm counts need two vials chockers full of pellets for a viable breeding unit, and some terriers way back in the dark ages, that required four straws to be considered a breeding unit. This is what makes this import stuff very tricky.

When sourcing a male that has been frozen, be sure to ask how many containers (straws or vials) of that collection, are considered a breeding unit. This will help down the track during transport.

Do you know if the semen was collected in accordance with the AQIS guidelines for a category 4 country??? You will find that you will not be able to import semen that has been collected before a dog has had all the required tests/vet examinations, rabies titre tests & identified by microchip etc. It's quite a process...so make sure you do your homework first, because if you don't your consignment can be refused entry to Australia!!

All testing is done and passed as this vet has collected for Australia before. That doesn't seem to be the problem. For whatever reason, I'm having problems getting the import permit paperwork done, as it appears that AQIS wants a broker not an individual to handle this.

Cryogenes are fantastic but have had difficulty dealing with Spain. They very kindly brought in some equine semen from Spain for me but there were no issues with me getting the import permit myself. I just did it all online :-). Both the canine and equine semen that they have brought in from Spain caused no end of troubles :-(.