Getting A New Breed

huski

Although Toby dosen't want to be on us all the time he will follow me from room to room and when I come out of the shower he will be laying in the study opposite the bathroom waiting for me. At night he usually sleeps on his mat by my window that overlooks the balcony when he could choose to sleep on my bed... however if we are in the living room watching tv he will choose the most crowded couch and squeeze between the people on it :rofl: I don't really see him as a clingy dog... to me thats a normal dog. :rofl:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To give you an example right now Daisy is asleep on the other end of the lounge I'm sitting on, she wants to be around me but she doesn't want to be on top of me all the time, I am sure that is largely how you raise a dog, I love the idea of having a dog who is more people focused but I don't want a dog who is super clingy.

I don't know of any dogs that want to be on top of you all the time :rofl: Do you have specific examples? I only ask because I find you may be disregarding a bunch of people focused breeds under the false impression that they want to sit on top of you all the time :rofl: Mine love to be with me but they lay on the floor while I'm on the lounge, don't even attempt to get up! Comes down to how they are raised.

:rofl: My BC does. But only when she's inside, outside she's just "BALL BALL THROW THE BALL". But if I'm on the lounge, she'll want to lay on me, if she's sleeping inside she'll be right next to me if not laying on me.

But my point was it usually comes down to how they are raised, you've probably let her (edit: not saying this is a bad thing, comes down to personal choice). Mine know their place is on the floor, lounge is out of bounds. I have invited Ruby up a few times, and the times I have invited Millie up she stays 30 secs then jumps off herself (and she is the one who is my shadow a bit more).

Sorry huski, maybe mine didn't come across properly either - I wasn't saying you don't want a people focused breed, I was trying to say that maybe you are disregarding some people focused ones under the impression that they are clingy, too. I don't articulate myself very well, either :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar

I think I can appreciate where Huski is coming from. I have met some small dogs that were well trained but still had this compulsive need to be on you the moment you sat down. Lived with a well trained Chi for a week once who was like that. He just couldn't leave a lap unfilled. There are some SBTs out at the shelter that get excited the moment you make eye contact. They have to abandon everything and race over to jump all over you. My mother has a Boxer/Kelpie cross that is the same. I remember spending several months painstakingly training her to NOT jump on me every time she thought her name had popped into my mind. Seriously, sometimes you don't even have to look at this dog to have her feel like you called her in your head and she jumps up and comes over to put her head in your lap and wag her tail furiously. I find her intensely exasperrating. It took ages to teach her not to jump on everyone, and years later she still just can't resist sometimes. She would work until she dropped and she's incredibly fast and agile and only interested in playing, but I can't stand the fact that it takes her so long to settle enough to let you look at her without feeling the need to leap up and give you a kiss. She's a sweetie, and fun, but I couldn't live with her. I'd never have a dog that would be at my feet hoping to work every time I shifted my weight. Erik needs to work, preferably daily, but he doesn't spend most of the day waiting for me to do something with him. He's super easy to train and very enthusiastic and adores doing stuff with me and doesn't really care what it is as long as he doesn't have to sit still for ages, but he isn't just waiting for me to breath a command, or sleeping on my feet so he knows the instant I'm up. People focused, but I'm not his whole world.

But my point was it usually comes down to how they are raised, you've probably let her. Mine know their place is on the floor, lounge is out of bounds. I have invited Ruby up a few times, and the times I have invited Millie up she stays 30 secs then jumps off herself (and she is the one who is my shadow a bit more).

Sorry huski, maybe mine didn't come across properly either - I wasn't saying you don't want a people focused breed, I was trying to say that maybe you are disregarding some people focused ones under the impression that they are clingy, too. I don't articulate myself very well, either :rofl:

Yeah I'm sure it's how they are raised too, I just get a bit nervous at the thought of having a new breed :rofl: I mean you can do as much research as possible and meet heaps and talk to lots of breeders but at the end of the day the ultimate compatibility test comes once you live with them.

I am sure I am just over thinking things and will enjoy having a dog who is more people orientated.

I think I can appreciate where Huski is coming from. I have met some small dogs that were well trained but still had this compulsive need to be on you the moment you sat down. Lived with a well trained Chi for a week once who was like that. He just couldn't leave a lap unfilled. There are some SBTs out at the shelter that get excited the moment you make eye contact. They have to abandon everything and race over to jump all over you. My mother has a Boxer/Kelpie cross that is the same. I remember spending several months painstakingly training her to NOT jump on me every time she thought her name had popped into my mind. Seriously, sometimes you don't even have to look at this dog to have her feel like you called her in your head and she jumps up and comes over to put her head in your lap and wag her tail furiously. I find her intensely exasperrating. It took ages to teach her not to jump on everyone, and years later she still just can't resist sometimes. She would work until she dropped and she's incredibly fast and agile and only interested in playing, but I can't stand the fact that it takes her so long to settle enough to let you look at her without feeling the need to leap up and give you a kiss. She's a sweetie, and fun, but I couldn't live with her. I'd never have a dog that would be at my feet hoping to work every time I shifted my weight. Erik needs to work, preferably daily, but he doesn't spend most of the day waiting for me to do something with him. He's super easy to train and very enthusiastic and adores doing stuff with me and doesn't really care what it is as long as he doesn't have to sit still for ages, but he isn't just waiting for me to breath a command, or sleeping on my feet so he knows the instant I'm up. People focused, but I'm not his whole world.

That is kind of what I mean Corvus! I glad I am not going crazy and am sort of making sense.

I am used to needing to give 150% when I am training Daisy, I have to be very UP for her to be up, it is hard work in some ways, even though I am a naturally up and outgoing person :rofl: If I go with a different breed, I do want a dog who has a more natural desire to work with me, I definitely want a dog who is more active and drivey. But I don't want anything OTT and I don't want a dog who will be really hard work to train to have an off switch.

But anyway this is all just super preliminary research, I can't make any decisions until I meet lots of dogs from the breeds I am considering! I could completely change my mind about what I want once I meet more of the breeds I am looking at.

Edited by huski

To give you an example right now Daisy is asleep on the other end of the lounge I'm sitting on, she wants to be around me but she doesn't want to be on top of me all the time, I am sure that is largely how you raise a dog, I love the idea of having a dog who is more people focused but I don't want a dog who is super clingy.

I don't know of any dogs that want to be on top of you all the time :confused: Do you have specific examples? I only ask because I find you may be disregarding a bunch of people focused breeds under the false impression that they want to sit on top of you all the time :) Mine love to be with me but they lay on the floor while I'm on the lounge, don't even attempt to get up! Comes down to how they are raised.

:confused: My BC does. But only when she's inside, outside she's just "BALL BALL THROW THE BALL". But if I'm on the lounge, she'll want to lay on me, if she's sleeping inside she'll be right next to me if not laying on me.

But my point was it usually comes down to how they are raised, you've probably let her (edit: not saying this is a bad thing, comes down to personal choice). Mine know their place is on the floor, lounge is out of bounds. I have invited Ruby up a few times, and the times I have invited Millie up she stays 30 secs then jumps off herself (and she is the one who is my shadow a bit more).

Oh yeah of course :rofl: Just to add, I do let Jess sit on me etc. but she listens (usually :eek:) if I tell her to go lay down on the floor. Anyway, back on topic :laugh:

It actually took me a while to get used to my Aussie following me from room to room, so I know where you're coming from. She isn't clingy but she likes to be where the action is so follows us around a lot (thankfully she has quite good body awareness so she rarely 'gets in the way' as such). For example, this morning OH had to lock her out of the room because he was trying to do pushups and she kept coming in and lying right where he wanted to do them. Now that I'm used to it, I don't mind, and it makes me smile when she wags her tail or comes over just because I've looked at her, or to see her curled up at the bathroom door when I come out of the shower :confused:

That being said, at the moment I'm on the couch, OH is in the study, and both dogs are asleep on the rug in a completely different room. All very content :confused:

Well I know you ruled out BCs but what about one bred for work/performance in one of those cool colours (think Blue merle or sable) - it won't "LOOK" like a normal BC! LOL I had to say it cos I'm a die hard BC person.... I thought about changing breeds and got shivers just thinking about it!

Ok as for suggestions, Brittany would tick the boxes, as would a Kelpie or Coolie or of course a Toller but everyone has already suggested them.

What about a Sheltie, there can be some timid ones so you'd have to pick your lines carefully but they are wonderful little dogs to own and loads of fun to train! Grooming is fairly easy, just a brush every now and then with a bit more brushing when they are dropping coat. And they aren't overly common in dog sports.

Or a Cocker Spaniel, I think some of the show line ones are fairly active otherwise working lines.. same for Springer Spaniels (I really like Springers!)

Portugese Water Dogs are pretty cool too!

BUT after meeting Sparky's Frenchies if you wanted a small dog that was really unusual I'd soooo go for a French Bulldog, we have a guy at our club who has 2 and they are both really spunky and out there!

Or what about an American Staffordshire Terrier, the ones I've met are pretty fun to train and not very common in dog sports

OR what about a Belgian Shepherd Teruvean or Groendale (not sure on spelling) they are both a bit bigger than you're average border collie, the show lines aren't too drivey but they still have plenty of drive and are lovely looking dogs and also fairly uncommon.

WAIT WAIT I've got it!!!

A Basenji!!! They are such cool dogs! :-)

Or I'll echo someone else with a Schnauzer either mini or standard, very very uncommon in obedience but you see the odd one in agility

Or a pointer, they would probably do well at dogsports but you rarely see them!

LOL Nic are you sure you don't want to change breeds??? :confused:

I think Brittanys and Springers are still on my top two for potential new breeds. I've never ever considered ESS before but I am really starting to like them!

I think I will do some more serious research into PWDs too.

LOL Nic are you sure you don't want to change breeds??? :confused:

I think Brittanys and Springers are still on my top two for potential new breeds. I've never ever considered ESS before but I am really starting to like them!

I think I will do some more serious research into PWDs too.

Hell no! Why on earth would I change when I have the best breed in the world! (ducking for cover now).

Think about the Shelties and Basenjis too! :confused:

I have always wanted a lappie though so who knows what will happen in the future!

Thats all i saw in this post :rofl:

Maybe your Lappie will be the 'pot plant' or couch potato to keep you company and the other breed you decide on can do all the hard work. :confused:

It actually took me a while to get used to my Aussie following me from room to room, so I know where you're coming from. She isn't clingy but she likes to be where the action is so follows us around a lot (thankfully she has quite good body awareness so she rarely 'gets in the way' as such). For example, this morning OH had to lock her out of the room because he was trying to do pushups and she kept coming in and lying right where he wanted to do them. Now that I'm used to it, I don't mind, and it makes me smile when she wags her tail or comes over just because I've looked at her, or to see her curled up at the bathroom door when I come out of the shower :laugh:

That being said, at the moment I'm on the couch, OH is in the study, and both dogs are asleep on the rug in a completely different room. All very content :rofl:

:confused: Our lappies do the same. First time they saw OH on the floor doing push-ups they rushed up to plant kisses on his face. They figured floor time was play time.

i was in hysterics.

Ok, i finally got to the end and no-one else has said it so i'll bring it up. Dutch Shepherd.

Still uncommon here (AFAIK) but recognised by the ANKC last year. http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=233

I believe theres a few breeders here already. Theres a breeder/owner in QLD somewhere near you as luck would have it. http://www.ck9sas.com.au/our-dogs.html

Theyre about 30kgs and the size of the Female GSD (55-63cm).

From the small amount of research i've done.

"The Dutch Shepherds are among the most competent of all shepherd dogs at such tasks as agility, catch, obedience competitions, guard work, herding, field trailing and companionship. " http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dutchshepherd.htm

Who knows how they'll be going in Oz by the time you're ready to get one.

I actually thought there'd be a whole lot more breeds being mentioned here. but i guess the thread is only a day old. for 12 pages.

You've really started something Huski.

Edited by DNM

Hey DNM!

Thanks for your post :confused: I really appreciate all the suggestions everyone are giving me especially as I know how picky I am being!

Dutchies look awesome but from what I have heard about them, they would be too full on for me.

Not to derail the thread but just curious now... when you have a few breeds shortlisted how do you choose one? Each breed obviously has pros and cons and they wouldn't be shortlisted if you didn't like them a lot.

I am in a position where I have started to reseach breeds for my next dog which will be a few years away and when I am no longer living at home (I am not so sure about having another dog and Toby under the same roof again) and I am even fussier then you Huski :confused: Once I have my next pup unless it's a total clash I never want another breed! I hate choosing breeds and doing hours and hours of research for nothing :confused:

Not to derail the thread but just curious now... when you have a few breeds shortlisted how do you choose one? Each breed obviously has pros and cons and they wouldn't be shortlisted if you didn't like them a lot.

I am in a position where I have started to reseach breeds for my next dog which will be a few years away and when I am no longer living at home (I am not so sure about having another dog and Toby under the same roof again) and I am even fussier then you Huski :laugh: Once I have my next pup unless it's a total clash I never want another breed! I hate choosing breeds and doing hours and hours of research for nothing :confused:

Please derail away :confused:

For me it's all about research, research, research. There are breeds I thought I'd want to own but once I met them, talked to owners and breeders and spent more time with them I ruled them out for various reasons.

I also consider what is best for me right now. I don't want a dog as big or bigger than my Siberian because I don't want two bigger sized dogs. If I didn't have a big dog, I'd be more open to getting a bigger sized breed.

Finding the right breeder also plays a part in what breed I get. If I find a breeder who I click with and whose dogs I really like that would also sway my decision.

The most challenging dogs at the obedience club I go to are the tri coloured beagles.......actually all the beagles there are tri coloured, so maybe there's your challenge. They don't lack energy, that's there in abundance but they all seem to lack a certain something between their ears when the nose hits the ground.

I would find them frustrating, and most of the owners there do, which is why they are there.

I met a basenji last week and she was the sweetest, prettiest little thing. Really a lovely little dog. It was a brief encounter at Petstock, so no idea what they'd be like to own though.

The most challenging dogs at the obedience club I go to are the tri coloured beagles.......actually all the beagles there are tri coloured, so maybe there's your challenge. They don't lack energy, that's there in abundance but they all seem to lack a certain something between their ears when the nose hits the ground.

I would find them frustrating, and most of the owners there do, which is why they are there.

They sound just like Daisy (well how she used to be). I used to be able to wave steak under her nose when she was on a scent and she wouldn't even notice it was there. It's not that they are dumb or lacking something but that they are so scent driven they lock onto the scent and aren't aware of anything else apart from what they are smelling.

Someone commented recently after seeing Daisy work that she mustn't have much scent drive, but she does, that was our problem, but it has also made her very focused and driven (for a beagle) when you learn to work with it.

(case in point

excuse all the downs she misses, that was my fault for being so lazy with my hand signal).

I would be more than happy with another beagle but I also can't deny that part of me would like something different next time.

Edited by huski