Getting A New Breed

huski

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I guess my Amstaff is very drivey, but I have never attempted any training with him other than for the show ring. He will do ANYTHING for food though, so I reckon it would be pretty easy to train him.

TTs are great dogs, but if you want to keep them in anything close to show coat then its a LOT LOT LOT of work. If you are happy to clip them back 3 or 4 times a year, then its very easy to care for. Most breeds with LONG hair (not fluffy hair) are much harder work. So Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso, Tibetan Terrier and I would assume Bearded Collies are a lot of work to keep in top coat BUT easy if you dont mind them not being in full show ring worthy hair.

TTs are also not small but not big. Bigger than a beagle, about knee high would be pretty normal size wise.

Amstaff? Staffy?

Powlish Lowland Sheepdog?

Harrier? :rofl:

Schipperke? - maybe too small?

Boston Terrier :rofl: - might be too small..

Bull breeds are definitely not my cup of tea, I'd like to know more about Harriers though as I quite like their size.

I thought there might be Pumis in the country, but it seems like probably not. They are not much to look at, but man, when they run they really run. I think they aren't wildly friendly, though.

I've never heard of Pumi so I googled them and they the funniest looking dogs! How awesome.

Well I guess my Amstaff is very drivey, but I have never attempted any training with him other than for the show ring. He will do ANYTHING for food though, so I reckon it would be pretty easy to train him.

TTs are great dogs, but if you want to keep them in anything close to show coat then its a LOT LOT LOT of work. If you are happy to clip them back 3 or 4 times a year, then its very easy to care for. Most breeds with LONG hair (not fluffy hair) are much harder work. So Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso, Tibetan Terrier and I would assume Bearded Collies are a lot of work to keep in top coat BUT easy if you dont mind them not being in full show ring worthy hair.

TTs are also not small but not big. Bigger than a beagle, about knee high would be pretty normal size wise.

Thanks Rysup! I love the look of TTs and Beardies but I think that loooong coat would be too much for me. Though will have to check out what they are like clipped I think.

I thought there might be Pumis in the country, but it seems like probably not. They are not much to look at, but man, when they run they really run. I think they aren't wildly friendly, though.

I've never heard of Pumi so I googled them and they the funniest looking dogs! How awesome.

Agility

Flyball

:rofl:

Edited by TerraNik

I saw a doco on pumi's and how they compete in herding trials. They are cute looking dogs but my god they have the most annoying, high pitched yap yap yap yap yap yap, and apparently they are very, very barky. VERY barky. Part of their herding method involves a lot of barking.

Polish Lowland Sheepdogs are fairly rare, last I heard there was something like a 5 year waiting list for a puppy. I met one at a dog show once, her name was Diva and she was absolutely stunning. Very high maintenance coat though.....kind of a small-sized beardie.

:rofl:

WOW! They are super fast! Now we just need someone to import them for us :rofl: :rofl:

I know I probably sound really picky, and I really do want a dog to do dog sports with but at the end of the day, my priority will always be getting a breed that I am happy to live with and that suits my lifestyle. I don't want a breed just because it will make a good dog sports dog if I would be miserable living with them. Dog sports will always be second for me, having a dog whose company I enjoy will always be the most important aspect when it comes to picking what breed I own.

I'd say border terriers, but I think they're too small for you. They should be 5.5-75kg, but many borders (especially the boys) push 10kgs. Certain lines are bigger/taller/heavier than others.

Otherwise, my suggestion is Irish Terrier.

You do sound really picky, but that's OK, everyone is picky in their own way :rofl:

What did you think of the Brittany? If I had to pick a coated gundog, they would definitely be top of my list.

For small, I like Schipperkes, German Spitz and Japanese Spitz (have met a few of these that are quite spunky! but some that are reserved too). OK so I like my prick eared dogs :rofl: though Pry Sheps . . . hmmmm :rofl: Nice little performance dogs for sure!

I have to admit I am boring and am really only interested in a couple of breeds for sports and what I could live with. :rofl:

I would've suggested a pembroke or cardigan welsh corgi but maybe they are too small for you? They do really well in dog sports and I'd possibly lean more towards a cardigan than a pembroke for you as they are more aloof so less likely to be clingy which you don't want. Not that pembs are clingy, they just want to be where the action is which is where their master is :rofl:

WOW! They are super fast!

They are total ferals! In a good way. :rofl: A Puli might be a slightly toned down and less obsessive version, but the coat is a big deal unless you keep them clipped short, but then, it's still a big deal to begin with.

I think you want a TT. :rofl: The clipped one I saw appealed to me more in looks than the fully coated ones do. They left the hair on her feet long so she had slippers. It was adorable!

You do sound really picky, but that's OK, everyone is picky in their own way :rofl:

What did you think of the Brittany? If I had to pick a coated gundog, they would definitely be top of my list.

For small, I like Schipperkes, German Spitz and Japanese Spitz (have met a few of these that are quite spunky! but some that are reserved too). OK so I like my prick eared dogs :rofl: though Pry Sheps . . . hmmmm :rofl: Nice little performance dogs for sure!

I have to admit I am boring and am really only interested in a couple of breeds for sports and what I could live with. :rofl:

At the moment ESS and Brittanys are at the top of my list.

I need to meet a lot more of both breeds though!

I would've suggested a pembroke or cardigan welsh corgi but maybe they are too small for you? They do really well in dog sports and I'd possibly lean more towards a cardigan than a pembroke for you as they are more aloof so less likely to be clingy which you don't want. Not that pembs are clingy, they just want to be where the action is which is where their master is :rofl:

Yeah corgis are a bit small for me, I've really liked the ones I've met though.

WOW! They are super fast!

They are total ferals! In a good way. :( A Puli might be a slightly toned down and less obsessive version, but the coat is a big deal unless you keep them clipped short, but then, it's still a big deal to begin with.

I think you want a TT. :rofl: The clipped one I saw appealed to me more in looks than the fully coated ones do. They left the hair on her feet long so she had slippers. It was adorable!

I am definitely going to look into a TT more!

I enjoy running my "slow and steady" Lab in agility but after running a friend's Aussie once, I can see how the more drivey dogs are more appealing! It was soooooooooo much fun! Ruby has more speed in her yet, just need to find a way to get it out :rofl: Millie can be a bit of a rocket, though! She is more fun to train than Ruby, sorry Roo! :rofl:

Mine are people oriented and want to be in the same room as me all the time, but they definitely are not clingy. I think people are assuming gundogs are clingy because they like to be with their people, couldn't be further from the truth!

Those videos of the Pumi doing agility are awesome :rofl:

I like Aussies but they are probably a bit too common for me (kinda like BCs, Goldies, Labs etc)... but I'm usually the only person with a beagle at a trial, I like to compete with breeds that are a bit uncommon.

Sorry maybe these comment threw me about you wanting a dog on the fact it was novel and makes you stand out.

I've seen Steve Austins spaniels and if you get anything to that degree I think you will be over it quickly if you're not after dogs that want your attention all the time. It's not that dogs like this just want cuddles all the time its the fact they want to work and just keep at you to do it. Can they relax? Yes. Can they be lower drive? Sure. But then if you dont want such an in your face dog just get a show line to muck around with when it comes to spaniels. I think even my 3 dogs would drive you spare if you met them considering how much attention they want from me, but I like that - it makes them easy to train, loyal, calm and hey, thats why I bought a dog.

Like I said the only way you're going to find something you like is to go visit breeders and see if their dogs breed suits your needs particularly because the rarer breeds mostly have not really been proven in the trialling ring to date. For some breeds there is a good reason for this, the dogs in this country may not be of particular quality for that.

I like Aussies but they are probably a bit too common for me (kinda like BCs, Goldies, Labs etc)... but I'm usually the only person with a beagle at a trial, I like to compete with breeds that are a bit uncommon.

Sorry maybe these comment threw me about you wanting a dog on the fact it was novel and makes you stand out.

Sorry if I gave you that impression but that's not what I meant, I just meant I enjoy owning and training breeds that are a bit more uncommon. I like a challenge and I like something a bit different. That's far from my only requirement when looking for a dog, but I am happy to be honest when I say that I don't want something everyone else has. At the end of the day, I won't own a dog that does not appeal to me and the more common breeds are simply not appealing to me.

There are plenty of novel/rare breeds that have been suggested to me in this thread but the fact I've ruled them out should really demonstrate that I'm not just going to get a breed purely because it's novel or rare or no-one else has them.

I've seen Steve Austins spaniels and if you get anything to that degree I think you will be over it quickly if you're not after dogs that want your attention all the time. It's not that dogs like this just want cuddles all the time its the fact they want to work and just keep at you to do it. Can they relax? Yes. Can they be lower drive? Sure. But then if you dont want such an in your face dog just get a show line to muck around with when it comes to spaniels. I think even my 3 dogs would drive you spare if you met them considering how much attention they want from me, but I like that - it makes them easy to train, loyal, calm and hey, thats why I bought a dog.

Like I said the only way you're going to find something you like is to go visit breeders and see if their dogs breed suits your needs particularly because the rarer breeds mostly have not really been proven in the trialling ring to date. For some breeds there is a good reason for this, the dogs in this country may not be of particular quality for that.

Like I sad earlier I will definitely have to meet a lot more dogs of breeds I'm interested in before making a decision, I am not going to get a dog that I would not be happy living with. I've never owned a really people focused breed so I have no idea what it would like living with one, I may like it, I don't know.

To give you an example right now Daisy is asleep on the other end of the lounge I'm sitting on, she wants to be around me but she doesn't want to be on top of me all the time, I am sure that is largely how you raise a dog, I love the idea of having a dog who is more people focused but I don't want a dog who is super clingy.

Maybe a Mudi might be what you're looking for :rofl: Too bad they're another breed yet to reach Australia, that I know of anyway :rofl:

This thread is tempting me - I want a puppy noooooow!! :rofl:

Edited by DogSportObsessed

To give you an example right now Daisy is asleep on the other end of the lounge I'm sitting on, she wants to be around me but she doesn't want to be on top of me all the time, I am sure that is largely how you raise a dog, I love the idea of having a dog who is more people focused but I don't want a dog who is super clingy.

I don't know of any dogs that want to be on top of you all the time :rofl: Do you have specific examples? I only ask because I find you may be disregarding a bunch of people focused breeds under the false impression that they want to sit on top of you all the time :rofl: Mine love to be with me but they lay on the floor while I'm on the lounge, don't even attempt to get up! Comes down to how they are raised.

Edited by RubyStar

This thread is tempting me - I want a puppy noooooow!! :rofl:

Me too :rofl: :rofl:

I don't know of any dogs that want to be on top of you all the time :rofl: Do you have specific examples? I only ask because I find you may be disregarding a bunch of people focused breeds under the false impression that they want to sit on top of you all the time :rofl: Mine love to be with me but they lay on the floor while I'm on the lounge, don't even attempt to get up! Comes down to how they are raised.

I regret even bringing it up now because I don't think I am articulating myself very well :rofl: I definitely do want a people focused breed.

When I describe an overly clingy dog, I mean like the ones I described earlier that my grandma owns. I am sure with these particular dogs their behaviour is largely due to the fact that they are almost completely untrained but they are constantly wanting to sit on you, sit next to you, get under your feet, climb all over you all of the time. It makes me feel claustrophobic because sometimes, I don't want a dog glued to my leg. That's all I meant when I said I don't want a clingy dog that constantly annoys you for attention, I am not in any way saying I don't want a people focused dog.

:rofl: My BC does. But only when she's inside, outside she's just "BALL BALL THROW THE BALL". But if I'm on the lounge, she'll want to lay on me, if she's sleeping inside she'll be right next to me if not laying on me.