Getting A New Breed

huski

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have met any TTs in person, Corvus. I will need to suss them out. They look at a bit small? How big are they normally?

ETA: I've never met any PWDs, either. I do like the look of them though.

Edited by huski

There are a few TTs at my club. They do need a fair bit of grooming. The one I am thinking of is moderately drivey, is lovely to watch when he is cooperating but has a mind of his own and has been known to run off in stays or recall :) He can have a bit of an attitude with other dogs. Cute as a button :)

The few TT's I've met are very full of themselves. They'd be great dogs to trial as they are active, attentive and smart, and probably a bit stubborn. A fair bit of work in that coat though.

They aren't overly small....bigger than a sheltie, maybe?

The few TT's I've met are very full of themselves. They'd be great dogs to trial as they are active, attentive and smart, and probably a bit stubborn. A fair bit of work in that coat though.

They aren't overly small....bigger than a sheltie, maybe?

I handled a TT many moons ago in agility and by Dog you've described him to a tee :) Lovely dog and full of spunk and attitude.

Oh, go for an English Setter. I dare ya.

My ES grandpuppy, who is now at the bridge, was the dumbest, laziest dog I have ever met. Totally, totally gorgeous but god he was thick as two planks, Now THAT would be a challenge! And there's a breed you never see at trials.

LOL I like a challenge but I would be miserable living with a lazy dog! I need something that's still active... a lazy dog would drive me up the wall!

Beautiful dogs though :)

You could always try an Irish Setter, Gordon Setter or an Irish Red and White Setter.... they are all a little bit more traditionally intelligent then thier English counterparts and they are all supposed to be very very active dogs :)

Hmmm will have to look into TTs!

Corvus do we have GHTs in Australia?

Yes we have one breeder :eek:

Yes! But I think mostly by hunters, who breed some pretty serious dogs. I think there's a breeder in NSW that possibly shows, though? They have a litter advertised on DOL atm.

Huski i am going through breeds as well at the moment, but i have so many on my list it is not funny :).

Yes! But I think mostly by hunters, who breed some pretty serious dogs. I think there's a breeder in NSW that possibly shows, though? They have a litter advertised on DOL atm.

My Mum was asking me about GHTs and Patterdales this evening, i described them as pretty full on dogs :). Probably not what we are after in a dog, but an awesome breed. Patterdales i dont know much about though.

Edited by Clover

Standard Poodle? Or too big? apparently some do well at obedience.

I'm not a poodle person per se, but I really like standard poodles. They are great to train and they are brilliant once you have them working with you.

Not sure about sports though - haven't seen too many standard poodles in fly-ball or agility. But that could be because I don't watch a great deal of either of these activities.

Huski - I see you with a GSD :)

What about a show line laekenois? Certainly not a commonly seen dog and lots of drive.

There was a time where I really wanted a GSD! But I see SO many in obedience (and very rarely in agility) who just seem to plod around the ring. They have no speed, and it seems, not much drive. I have only ever seen one WL GSD in the obedience ring though and she was quite lovely. A bit bigger (same with laekenois) than what I am after for the moment though. I do love the look of the sable WL GSDs :)

Standard Poodle? Or too big? apparently some do well at obedience.

I'm not a poodle person per se, but I really like standard poodles. They are great to train and they are brilliant once you have them working with you.

Not sure about sports though - haven't seen too many standard poodles in fly-ball or agility. But that could be because I don't watch a great deal of either of these activities.

I like standards but they are probably too big for what I am looking for at the moment. I've seen them in agility before and they do look quite fun to run in the ring!

Edited by huski

I haven't ever seen an ESS in obedience or agility, though I do reckon they are more common in obed/agility than say a beag or a Sibe.

Lots of potential in this one:

If you want to see them at their best there are tons of hunting videos on YouTube featuring Springers, they are brilliant.

Lots of potential in this one:

If you want to see them at their best there are tons of hunting videos on YouTube featuring Springers, they are brilliant.

LOL Aidan, I found that one on youtube earlier today! He looks AWESOME! I'd love a dog like that - I love his looks, his size, his attitude :) he looks like great fun.

Will definitely be youtube'ing hunting videos!

So 'fess up! Who else has been perusing this thread for puppy ideas? :)

P.S. Huski, will write more when I am in front of the computer and keyboard :cry:

Thanks TSD :eek: