Bigdogg Kennels..

Guest bigdogg

Guest bigdogg

I spent a long time searching for designs on the net.. Ended up just doing my own dodgy one..

I made frames (50x50 rhs, 50x25 rhs) and put mesh on them. Each frame had a tab of flat steel welded on the bottom.. I Dynabolted each frame to the cement..

After that we welded some steel to the frames (back and 1/2side) To this we screwed in the second hand tin.

The roof i used 3 different sized top hat / battons. This creates the fall.

The cement area is 6.4m x 4.5m. The caged area is 6.3m x 3.9m. I have 500mm of cement behind the kennels with a bit of a drain.

My dogs rarely (unless left in toooo long when away) shit in the kennels.. So dont have to hose them out much.

The doors at the front are full size and can be swung back on to the frames. ( I was lazy and didnt bother doing the front properly)

Out side of the kennels i have already got the posts stood for a dog run. I also put in a cement wall in the ground a foot deep to stop anything digging under.

Im going to put 7ft chain wire around here.. So should make it a pretty secure yard.

I havnt kept track of all the expenses - but definitely a few grands worth.

Not to bad for a bunch of pig dogs.. (+ collie pup coming)

post-10526-1294975807_thumb.jpg

post-10526-1294975832_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigdogg

Guest bigdogg

Near Townsville.. So, winter is not exactly freezing..

I have to make beds for them yet.. Probably be a steel frame, some ply on top and some marine carpet.. All about 600mm - 700mm off the ground.

Rain, is a bit of an issue.. Not sure how im going to tackle that..

Near Townsville.. So, winter is not exactly freezing..

I have to make beds for them yet.. Probably be a steel frame, some ply on top and some marine carpet.. All about 600mm - 700mm off the ground.

Rain, is a bit of an issue.. Not sure how im going to tackle that..

Back and 2 sides will need to be covered when the rain comes and you could always do a larger roof again over what you already have?

ETA: a bigger roof going a meter or so beyond the current roof on all sides...

Edited by Aziah

Guest bigdogg

They may have to get wet while the funds become available..

Ive had rain already.. The floor gets a bit wet.. So if they have beds off the ground.. Wont be too bad..

Ill have to put my name on a pen for when my wife kicks me out.. :laugh:

instead of just beds why dont you make something like this

pic-big-houndhouse-2.jpg

If you're handy with a welder you can make some frames, keeps them off the ground and you can cover them in canvas or even marine ply sheeting (handy hint, a lot of factories and businesses throw out marine ply when something comes packed in it, if you're smart you can make them for almost free) Ply will also keep the temp inside the kennels a bit more even too. Give it a coat of laquer or acrylic paint and you're set :o

Edited by Nekhbet

Guest bigdogg

Thanks

I reckon that might be a little bit too hot for our climate.. (canvas that is). I havnt spent a winter here yet, so may work out too..

Im actually looking at putting up some insulation that i have lying around here.. Wont be the whole roof, but may decrease a little bit of the radiation / heat.

Also thought about setting up a sprinkler / mist system and have it on a tap timer?

Ill try and locate some marine ply.. That on a steel frame with marine carpet on top should do the trick..

For some reason my lil guy likes to hide under my partners sports car while im hanging out washing. There is a garage under cover he can go to, so I guess the car has some sorta appeal beyond protection from the elements!

We got him a 'dog house' from Kmart for $49. Its very basic, wooden, but tis good to leave outside for him to have his own corner.

Just posting this here incase anyone else is after something similar! Bigdogg - your dog run looks fantastic! Great job!