Pet Friendly House Designs

RallyValley

A massive laundry and an outside doggy wash room.

One thing that bugs me about this place is the garden surrounds the house. I would like to be able to shut the dogs away from the front door. I currently have to go out and rescue visitors from squeaking border collies!

Every room in our house has stable doors.All the doors have been cut in half & still able to be locked into one.

It means all rooms are open to light/air con/heating but no dogs can go in .

best thing we ever did & looks so much homely than baby gates every where.

Our house is fully tiled & they can't go to the front half of the house.

There house yard is fully paved & totally patio in so in winter no rain & summer nice shady & cool ,we could add over head fans if we wished but they have 24/7 access to house.The big yard is all grass

If i could change our house/backyard my list would be very expensive hehe! but the things i would expand on or want would be>

* bigger laundry with large tiled walls like a wet room so the dogs can be bathed and groomed with me having to put towels everywhere to stop dog hair trashing the place and worrying about excess water with build in benches and cuppards for all my dog gear that is never ending that is well ventalated.

*main grass back yard with a sectioned off paved area fenced off incase you have to seporate dog/s from something in the yard or if you have to take down fences or get foster dogs/puppies.

*doggy door build in seporate from glass sliding doors

* Bigger undercover area that is can block ran and wind

*inside tiles/hard wood flooring covering a bigger area right near the main sliding doors to back yard and cover in area.

and a veggie garden that is located away from my landscaping pair.

I think the OP asked a very good question! And I've got lots of tips from answers so far. Like, that's a great idea about the stable doors. Saves using baby gates.

When we renovated, we added dog-friendly things, like polished floors in most rooms with cotton mats that can be washed. Also a weather-proof back deck/verandah, where the dogs could be secure. With a doggie door leading down into a secure little courtyard for going to the toot.

But it'd be great building a whole house from scratch & incorporating dog (& cat) needs.

It's a good question because when I moved onto acreage three years ago and they had nothing.

So in order of need

Fenced yard/s

Surfaced areas (including around house)

Covered areas (including around house)

Dog management area: meal storage and preparation, bathing and grooming, etc

I built a deck and the dogs love it.

I could get carried away here.

Disneyland for dogs :thumbsup:

post-3970-1294827823_thumb.jpg