Food Allergy Not Contact Allergy

JulesP

Hi JulesP, I also recommend doing an elimination diet. My youg boy had rashes, open sores and hairloss and I couldn't work out what was going on regardless of how many different kibbles I tried and how many of the usual suspects I removed from his diet. Did an elimination diet and turns out he's allergic to sardines and lamb. Never would have figured that out without the elimination diet, they are not common triggers for allergies.

The vet put my boy on Hills Science Z/D kibble for 6 weeks and his symptoms pretty much dissapeared. It wasn't difficult and my boy loved the kibble.

He's now fed Hills Science Sensitive Skin - one of the few kibbles that has no lamb or sardines/fish plus

Vet's all Natural Complete mix puppy mixed with chicken carcass or kangaroo

Hi!

I would also suggest an elimination diet (although it looks like you have figured out the culprit anyway). I would disagree with most of the others though in that most food allergies are to a protein source - ie. chicken, salmon, lamb etc..... Think the wheat/corn etc thing is an extrapolation from humans.....

Glad your pup is feeling better!

Just for interest, we are taught that the most common causes of food allergies are (in order of decreasing prevalence), beef, dairy, chicken, egg, soya, & wheat.

However, dogs can be allergic to just about almost anything you care to feed. :D

Edited by Staranais