Friend For Maggie

tands

Hello

I am a very new member of this forum, I find myself coming back to this site over and over for all of the awesome information it has.

The way I stumbled across this site was in the search for information on buying a new puppy for our family. We have been looking for around 8mths now and have been really hesitant to rush in and just buy the first pup/dog that stole our hearts (and there has been many)!!

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help us in finding a breed that may suit our family. We have 3 kids aged 7-15yrs and a very lovely 5 yr old Border collie x Maggie.

Maggie was very much an impulse buy, and although she has turned out beautifully, I would much prefer to make a more informed descion this time.

We are looking for a small to medium sized breed as a family member and companion to Maggie, and very open to reading about any breeds or stories that might help us in our search.

A very big thanks in advance :laugh:

Have you considered having a look through www.petrescue.com.au?

I think the most important thing is not neccessarily to go with a particular breed unless you are definately sold on a particular breed and just go for a dog that is most suitably matched to your dog in energy, size suitable for play and temperament and personality for your family.

Hello

I am a very new member of this forum, I find myself coming back to this site over and over for all of the awesome information it has.

The way I stumbled across this site was in the search for information on buying a new puppy for our family. We have been looking for around 8mths now and have been really hesitant to rush in and just buy the first pup/dog that stole our hearts (and there has been many)!!

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help us in finding a breed that may suit our family. We have 3 kids aged 7-15yrs and a very lovely 5 yr old Border collie x Maggie.

Maggie was very much an impulse buy, and although she has turned out beautifully, I would much prefer to make a more informed descion this time.

We are looking for a small to medium sized breed as a family member and companion to Maggie, and very open to reading about any breeds or stories that might help us in our search.

A very big thanks in advance :laugh:

It is lovely to see someone wise enough to do research I know you will make a doggie happy in your home what ever it be. I like you am researching buying a pup and in no hurry but I want Cavalier King Charles, I love their temperament, relatively easy coat to keep tidy with regular brushing and an occasional trim I would imagine they would be excellent with children,

Thank you so much for your quick replies :laugh:

I'd never thought of listing what we can offer - I guess the main thing is a very large, fully enclosed suburban back yard with 5ft high fences, and somebody at home most of the as i'm not working at the moment, and of course lots of love and care! The only thing we have definately crossed off is very high maintenance grooming.

We have also looked at rescue pups/dogs in our area, but are torn between making that unknown decision with another x breed and a more informed choice with a pure breed.

FeistyLady, I have spoken recently to a Cav breeder who didn't think a Cav would work for our situation....unfortunately.....as they are very lovely and do seem to have the temperament that we are looking for...goodluck with your search :(

I think just in getting my thoughts and feelings out there.....I'm nervous of making the wrong choice for us and our newest family member.

Thank you so much for your quick replies :laugh:

I'd never thought of listing what we can offer - I guess the main thing is a very large, fully enclosed suburban back yard with 5ft high fences, and somebody at home most of the as i'm not working at the moment, and of course lots of love and care! The only thing we have definately crossed off is very high maintenance grooming.

We have also looked at rescue pups/dogs in our area, but are torn between making that unknown decision with another x breed and a more informed choice with a pure breed.

FeistyLady, I have spoken recently to a Cav breeder who didn't think a Cav would work for our situation....unfortunately.....as they are very lovely and do seem to have the temperament that we are looking for...goodluck with your search :(

I think just in getting my thoughts and feelings out there.....I'm nervous of making the wrong choice for us and our newest family member.

Did they give a reason why not that surprises me ?

Feistylady...we are after a dog that would like to spend time outside with Maggie, and the lady I spoke to said they were more suited as a predominately inside dog.

Thanks sparkycat...I'll come and have a look.

D&R... They are very hard to resist...I was thinking of not quite as active friend for Maggie...but my husband is starting to bring me around so you never know :hug:

What about a corgi or Swedish Vallhund? Tough, as active as you want them to be, happy to do whatever you're doing whenever you're doing it, easy to transport, coat care very easy, easy to train, good with kids and other dogs. They are both vocal breeds, though.

Feistylady...we are after a dog that would like to spend time outside with Maggie, and the lady I spoke to said they were more suited as a predominately inside dog.

Thanks sparkycat...I'll come and have a look.

D&R... They are very hard to resist...I was thinking of not quite as active friend for Maggie...but my husband is starting to bring me around so you never know :confused:

Ahh yes I see I have never had a outside dog. You have had a few good replies hope they help.

Why not a border collie from a registered breeder. You can never just stop at having one border :confused:

That would be my suggestion too. Would get on best with Maggie and you sound like the perfect family for a Border Collie. They come in a huge variety of temperaments and activity levels so you could choose a puppy that suits your lifestyle.

You have the border collie X , so an obvious breed to consider it the border collie.

However if you are looking for something as an alternative then check out the australian shepherd.

Aussies always seem to be just naturally fab with kids and love to have any dog to play with.

Kelpies make great companions to border collies and there are LOTS in rescue. Also please dont assume that a rescue dog of any breed mix is necessarily an 'unknown quantity'. Most rescue dogs live with foster carers, in their homes, with their families and pets, prior to being adopted. A rescuer can tell you an awful lot about the individual foster dogs in her/his care and help you to choose a suitable dog (and warn you off unsuitable ones). Rescuers tend to talk less about general breed characteristics, and more about the specifics of the individual dog you enquire about.

Excellent post KKDD. tands I agree - a foster doggie from a foster carer who knows the dog so it can be well matched to your family is just as good a choice. Do have a good look at petrescue.com.au

Or there is a good link to current BCs or BCXs in pounds here or indeed to the BC rescue website here

Its terrific to see someone doing their homework before adding another member to their family for the next 10 - 15 years.

Good luck and will be really interested to see which lucky doggie winds up with a home with you. :confused:

Kelpies make great companions to border collies and there are LOTS in rescue. Also please dont assume that a rescue dog of any breed mix is necessarily an 'unknown quantity'. Most rescue dogs live with foster carers, in their homes, with their families and pets, prior to being adopted. A rescuer can tell you an awful lot about the individual foster dogs in her/his care and help you to choose a suitable dog (and warn you off unsuitable ones). Rescuers tend to talk less about general breed characteristics, and more about the specifics of the individual dog you enquire about.
Edited by westiemum

Thank you guys again!! I am so glad that I did post here, as it really has got me thinking.

dancinbcs.. I had no idea that you could work with different temperaments and activity levels in a breed!! I would love some more info or a point in the right direction to where I can learn more.

I have also looked at all of the other breeds that have been mentioned, so thank you for the suggestions I will definitely keep them in my mind, but I think we have all come to the decision of investigating Border Collies from a breeder or a rescue dog. I think that is really where my heart was all along...we love bc's and I guess we got so lucky with maggie as a x breed that I thought I couldn't possibly get that lucky twice :thumbsup::) so thank you KKDD and westiemum for gently reminding me of the benefits of a foster carers knowledge of the pups/dog in their care.

I'm off to do some research and check out those links now...I will definitely keep you all posted to which doggie joins our family :)

(Before I go I thought I might show off a pic of our girl Maggie..hope it is ok in this section)!

post-38318-1294826594_thumb.jpg

You're very welcome. And Maggie is just gorgeous! :) Have fun looking for her companion.

Thank you guys again!! I am so glad that I did post here, as it really has got me thinking.

dancinbcs.. I had no idea that you could work with different temperaments and activity levels in a breed!! I would love some more info or a point in the right direction to where I can learn more.

I have also looked at all of the other breeds that have been mentioned, so thank you for the suggestions I will definitely keep them in my mind, but I think we have all come to the decision of investigating Border Collies from a breeder or a rescue dog. I think that is really where my heart was all along...we love bc's and I guess we got so lucky with maggie as a x breed that I thought I couldn't possibly get that lucky twice :thumbsup::) so thank you KKDD and westiemum for gently reminding me of the benefits of a foster carers knowledge of the pups/dog in their care.

I'm off to do some research and check out those links now...I will definitely keep you all posted to which doggie joins our family :)

(Before I go I thought I might show off a pic of our girl Maggie..hope it is ok in this section)!

post-38318-1294826594_thumb.jpg

i would make a list of what you want and what you don't want in a dog then look at some breeds you like,

Do some research on that breed and determine wether or not if fits in with your list in a dog.

I would suggest another border or kelpie too but you say you don't want another active type dog that is similar to your girl and a medium to small. so i wouldn't suggest either breed as they love a good work out to keep fit.

there are over 1000 breeds to choose from and i'm sure there is a breed to fit your list but deffinately check out pet rescue as you never know.

And not every purebreed/pedigree dogs are the same in temp and energy levels either so have a good look around and good luck.