Another "which Camera" Thread

Mim

Hello photography gurus :thumbsup:

After having a Nikon D3000 for less than a year, my brother has proven his talent for destroying his things once again and the camera is ruined. USB port doesn't work, lens is stuffed, screen is stuffed. Warranty doesn't cover it and parents have told him it's up to him to get it repaired which I don't see happening.

So, I think I'll get myself a new toy :confused: I did enjoy the Nikon but felt it was too slow to take photos (perhaps another fault caused by my brother though) and often the moment I wanted to capture would have passed by the time the photo was taken. I have had a play with my friends Canon and it's awesome so I've managed to decide I want a Canon.

But, I can't decide which would suit me better out of the EOS 1000D or the EOS 500D. I went to Harvey Norman and held both but the assistant wouldn't let me take any photos. They both feel nice in my hands though.

I want to take portraits and action shots of the dogs, rabbits, cats etc as well as eventually buying a macro lens to take close-up photos of insects and plants. So I need something that is easy to use, easy to take sharp photos with and quick. I think that's more about the lens than the camera body though.

So out of the two, which would you recommend?

Also, is it important to have IS? Should I make sure my lenses have IS for what I want to do or do you think it wouldn't matter? There's a very cheap 1000D twin lens kit at officeworks but the lenses don't have IS. The same kit with IS is about double the price at Harvey Norman.

And has anyone bought from camera-warehouse.com.au?

Oh and ( :thumbsup: ) there seem to be two lens combos in the twin kits for both the 1000D and the 500D. Either 18mm-55mm and 75mm-300mm OR 18mm-55mm and 55mm-250mm. Which would be more suited to the photos I want to take?

Sorry for all the Q's but I want to make the right choice.

there has been many camera threads just like this if you do a search, main thing is what sort of budget do you have to spend. Both Canon and Nikon have great entry level cameras, and speed is not a problem with either camera, they are both capable of fast shooting, what you are limited by is the cameras capability to perform at various light levels, and also how fast the lens is - the kit lens you are talking about at the longest end for instance are 5.6 aperture, so will not be as fast as say one that is 1.4 aperture (but of course that then means extra $$$$$) Personally I feel at the moment the Nikon ones are better at handling the low light, whilst Canon is going the route of chucking maximum megapixels in and video capability, so all depends what is important to you

If I could do it over again I (personally) probably wouldn't get the kit lenses. I'd get a body and then the 50mm 1.8 and maybe a zoom like the 70-300, but that's just me.

That's what I did.

The kit lenses/low light will be what slows it down.

I got the EOS 1000D a few months ago with the IS twin lens kit 18-55 and 55-250mm. This is my first DSLR and I absolutely love it! I have taken pictures at my daughter's gymnastics comps and it does great stills. The only problem is the novice behind the lens.

Are you aware it doesn't have video?

I got it thru camerapro.net.au and found them to be very good. The product was packaged well but due to stocking of the freebies, I received about 3 deliveries. Still only paid for one. They are in Qld and they only stock australian product.

Good luck with your serch

Linda K I did a search before posting but got myself more confused. Sorry if I'm repeating things.

HugL - I don't need video, already have a video camera :(

Kirislin - I will look into those lenses, thanks.

Should IS be something I make sure my lens has? Or it won't make much difference?

My budget it up to about $1300.

IF you are taking photos on really slow shutter speeds or you are really really shaky then IS is useful. If you are using a higher shutter speed (eg action pics or most normal photos) then IS is not all that important. It is handy at the 400mm end of the 100-400mm lens but unless you are planning to spend over $2000 on a lens and get into taking pics bigtime its not all that important.

Personally, given the choice between the two, i would go for the 500D - if i had $1300 to play with, my choice would be wildly different but that's only because of the few years of experience I have with cameras now and what I have chosen to do with mine. I have friends who still shoot on the 350D and love it.

I'm open to any camera and/or lens suggestions people have for within my budget. Also any macro lens recommendations (but that's not in the budget, that's something I'll save up for later).

This photo was taken with a 350D last May (the two newer more fancy cameras were either out of order or away being repaired so the little 350D had to do the job). The 500, 550D is the continuation of that series and there has been a few leaps in technology with thesed cameras since 2005 when I got that camera.

BAsically the kit lenses that came with the cameras give you something to start with - it they suit your needs great of not they give you a chane to work out what you want in the future.

Takeover-Target86.jpg

Edited by rubiton

That is a great picture rubiton, beautiful horse. I am still leaning toward a 2 lens kit at the moment as a starting point. I may get the cheapie from officeworks, it's the 1000D I think, no IS, and then the left over money can get me a lens when I know what I want. Although the 500D has better reviews...I think I have to go to a camera place that will let me have a play with them and decide from there. Why can't choosing a camera be easy! So many choices :rofl:

no, they all have specific mounts, - Nikon lenses can only be used on Nikon Cameras, Canon on Canon ones, and then within the brands you also have some lenses - eg Canon EFS lenses that can only be used on compatible canon cameras. 3rd party manufacturers (like Tamron, Sigma etc), make lenses that also have specific mounts - eg make Nikon mounts, Canon mounts - these are not interchangaeble, you must use the one made for your camera brand.